• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

On The Lookout For A Digicam-advice Sought!

Stingray

hi guys

Me in the need of a decent digital camera- budget would be about Rs 25000-30000 or less!(times are hard these days!). Had the Sony cybershot as a no1 choice but heard people say the canon and nikon too is good. Choices are many and indeed confusing.

So i beleive there are a few experts over here who could help me. Basically i require the following info

1) What would be ideal choice within my budget

2) Availability and reliable place in SL tp pucrchase one.

Sorry to bring this up in an automative forum but i know that advice given on this site is top class!

Cheers!

I used to be a Canon die-hard (went through 3 digicams)...for size and image quality, they were great.

I recently took a chance and bought a Lumix FX07 (Panasonic). My main objective was to get a camera with reputed 3rd party lense. Lumix units use Leica Lenses, and in the photography world, Leica is right up there- they've been in the business for decades. The Lumix digicams come in decent handy sizes and the image quality is faboulous, with very rich, warm and natural colours in the daytime. As with most small Digicams, nightshots aren't the best...with some degree of picture noise at any ISO setting.

Sony uses Carl Ziess lenses on some of their models, which is very good too. Personally, i've found the images from a Sony to be a bit "cold" and less natural, but thats a personal opinion.

As for local vendors- not many...although Softlogic is now the panasonic agent...so i'd pay them a visit. Prices won't be great, i imagine though. Best if you can get something sent over from Singapore...

Cheapest prices in the country are at Panama Traders and also Solids, both are at MC. Considering international prices, the US is the cheapest place to buy with Amazon.com giving very good discounts on selected digicams.

I used to be a Canon die-hard (went through 3 digicams)...for size and image quality, they were great.

I recently took a chance and bought a Lumix FX07 (Panasonic). My main objective was to get a camera with reputed 3rd party lense. Lumix units use Leica Lenses, and in the photography world, Leica is right up there- they've been in the business for decades. The Lumix digicams come in decent handy sizes and the image quality is faboulous, with very rich, warm and natural colours in the daytime. As with most small Digicams, nightshots aren't the best...with some degree of picture noise at any ISO setting.

Sony uses Carl Ziess lenses on some of their models, which is very good too. Personally, i've found the images from a Sony to be a bit "cold" and less natural, but thats a personal opinion.

As for local vendors- not many...although Softlogic is now the panasonic agent...so i'd pay them a visit. Prices won't be great, i imagine though. Best if you can get something sent over from Singapore...

I own/ed few different cameras.

If you are looking for day to day regular use, Sony Cyber Shots are very practical. Pretty decent picture quality. Great battery life. Video clips are great.

Specifically Sony Cyber Shot T series is very very convenient to carry in pocket. At present I have a T-9 which was used for more than 8000 pictures within 1.5 yrs. That was bought from Amazon.com. Made in Japan. Very large display etc. Now the later models are in the market. So T9 might be available at good prices. (Current price for T9 at Amazon seems incorrect. You should be able to buy under $300. Some times black case version is bit cheaper)

Higher Optical Zoom ratios are an added advantage in most Lumix models. I have one Lumix with 12X optical zoom which can do some good work right out of the box.

Use price comparison sites like Pricescan.com , mysimon.com , pricegrabber.com , nextag.com etc.

Hey what about casio exilim? if u r looking for a day to day use, not for professional photography....

i have been using one and its also good one with large display which u dont get in a sony. also the video quality is very good. i can recommend that too :)

http://exilim.casio.com/

Edited by ferrarif50

from your budget, im guessing you're looking for a day-to-day use cam... I have been using a Sony cybershot DSC-V1, old but quality still AWSOME... a friend of mine recently bought a Canon A650, and i must say thats a pretty good cam too (i'm not sure of the prices in SL, but in S'pore it would fall within your budget) so if you have anyone going to S'pore you can just get it there...

I would say stick to Sony, Canon or Nikon, cos they're quite reliable and pic quality is good... i also have a kodak-easyshare, and trust me there's a BIG diference in picture quality between the sony and Kodak....

and something like Sony,Conon or Nikon would be technically more releiable as well, i'd say...cos repairs on electronic items like these are pretty expensive....

Btw, question: if you buy something on e-bay and get it posted/ FedEx-ed to you, do you et charged some duty or customs? cos a friend of mine said they do that at times...

Btw, question: if you buy something on e-bay and get it posted/ FedEx-ed to you, do you et charged some duty or customs? cos a friend of mine said they do that at times...

It has become a norm know. You can weep infront of the customs officer till they reduce the tax though.

madmax, gunat, thushara_g, ferrarif50 and Dilesh

thanks for your valuable advices- Dilesh- yes looking for a cam day to day use and not looking at anything way too hitech.

Will do some research on the models and weblinks you guys have posted.

madmax- ordering through amazon might be value for money on some models yet i need to have a feel of the camera in my hand and test its functions- not that scared of online transactions, just wanna touch it before i spend the cash!

Will look into all aspects and thanks for your comments, much appreciated!