• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Emissions Testing In Sl

gunat

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Terrance can you please post a few details of your car, and what the test was for, i.e.co,co2,HC,NOX etc and what the limits were etc. I am sure someone has tried to access the Govt.Dept web site to find what the rules are how often the test is done,the test fee, etc.I am just curious, but I am sure the SL motorists are quiet concerned if they are in the dark as it appears according to the post here, ignorance creates a culture of fear and trepidation, so education is the best way to avoid this.

Maithri.

what i don't understand is how come only laugh is conducting these test. talking about a monopoly. if they managed to Rs. 5 net profit from a single vehicle they are still in it to make a killing. number plate story all over again.....

Duopoly :)

Laughs and CleenCo Drive Green (or somethink close to that - owned by the Akbarally's)

Hi,

Terrance can you please post a few details of your car, and what the test was for, i.e.co,co2,HC,NOX etc and what the limits were etc. I am sure someone has tried to access the Govt.Dept web site to find what the rules are how often the test is done,the test fee, etc.I am just curious, but I am sure the SL motorists are quiet concerned if they are in the dark as it appears according to the post here, ignorance creates a culture of fear and trepidation, so education is the best way to avoid this.

Maithri.

test results valid for one year,so needs to be done prior to annual revenue licence renwal

States below are the items indicated in the emmission test results sheet for a petrol vehicle

HC PPM VOL - Limit : 1200

CO% VOL - Limit 4.500

CO2 % VOL

O2 % VOL

Lambda

Thanks Devinda,

The limits are similar to ones used by the Uk in the early 90's mostly for non catalyst equipped cars. You may find these are really easy to achieve in all cars, with or without catalyst, in fact if your HC level is higher than around 200 you are throwing your hard earned money on the street as you drive! Cats have very little effect on HC-Hydrocrbons meaning un burnt fuel-so the lower this reding is the better your pocket performs-as low as 50 on a non cat car can indicate complete combustion you will get in a well maintained engine in good condition. The CO or Carbon Monoxide content is normal at 2 to 4 % before the cat and the cat will split this down to under .5% and release it as CO2 instead. So the limits seems to be very realistic and fair to all, I tested a car this week that failed due to it's CO reading 4.24% when it should have been under .3%. On investigation we found the cat had broken up and dissapeared down the exhaust pipe, it was a poorly maintained car and still only read 94ppm on HC. We simply replaced the cat and the readings dropped to .08% CO and around 60ppm HC at an engine speed of 2500 to 3000 rpm. It passed the test and the owner was happy even though there were many things he could have done to improve his fuel usage further. Some times we need to do the minimum to suit the customer pocket in the short term! So this law may do some good to all of you as well as to the owners of the testing stations set up there!

As you know I test a a lot of very highly tuned Subaru's and I hace seen some of these almost get through the test without a cat so the argument for removing a cat to improve performance is a poor one-there are many more things far easier to do to gain the same advantage. The cat should be the last thing to go not the first if you are seeking higher performance-leaving the wife at home is almost as economical depending on how heavy she is! Sorry no offence meant to the lovely wives we all are lucky to have!

Maithri.

Thanks Devinda,

The limits are similar to ones used by the Uk in the early 90's mostly for non catalyst equipped cars. You may find these are really easy to achieve in all cars, with or without catalyst, in fact if your HC level is higher than around 200 you are throwing your hard earned money on the street as you drive! Cats have very little effect on HC-Hydrocrbons meaning un burnt fuel-so the lower this reding is the better your pocket performs-as low as 50 on a non cat car can indicate complete combustion you will get in a well maintained engine in good condition. The CO or Carbon Monoxide content is normal at 2 to 4 % before the cat and the cat will split this down to under .5% and release it as CO2 instead. So the limits seems to be very realistic and fair to all, I tested a car this week that failed due to it's CO reading 4.24% when it should have been under .3%. On investigation we found the cat had broken up and dissapeared down the exhaust pipe, it was a poorly maintained car and still only read 94ppm on HC. We simply replaced the cat and the readings dropped to .08% CO and around 60ppm HC at an engine speed of 2500 to 3000 rpm. It passed the test and the owner was happy even though there were many things he could have done to improve his fuel usage further. Some times we need to do the minimum to suit the customer pocket in the short term! So this law may do some good to all of you as well as to the owners of the testing stations set up there!

As you know I test a a lot of very highly tuned Subaru's and I hace seen some of these almost get through the test without a cat so the argument for removing a cat to improve performance is a poor one-there are many more things far easier to do to gain the same advantage. The cat should be the last thing to go not the first if you are seeking higher performance-leaving the wife at home is almost as economical depending on how heavy she is! Sorry no offence meant to the lovely wives we all are lucky to have!

Maithri.

Thanx so much for the interpretation of those measures Maithri

i for one will admit to being a little lost when it came to the figures and was in need of someone to explain what all that meant in a clear and conscise manner as you have done :)

my readings were as follows -

Engine is a 12 year old 3000 V6 with twin exhausts

HC PPM VOL - Limit : 1200 - High Idle : 72 Low Idle : 132

CO% VOL - Limit 4.500 - High Idle : 0.916 Low Idle : 0.537

CO2 % VOL - High Idle : 10.600 Low Idle : 10.400

O2 % VOL - High Idle : 5.730 Low Idle : 6.180

Lambda - High Idle : 1.312 Low Idle : 1.370

do you recon these are acceptable? any areas i'll need to attend to or should be concerned about - your input is valued greatly

Lambda looks too high, have you got an exhaust leak? If so all the other numbers may be contaminated by too much Oxygen as indicated by the lambda reading, if you have a leak proof exhaust you are running a fuel air mix that is too lean.

By the way a V6 in SL??

Maithri.

Lambda looks too high, have you got an exhaust leak? If so all the other numbers may be contaminated by too much Oxygen as indicated by the lambda reading, if you have a leak proof exhaust you are running a fuel air mix that is too lean.

By the way a V6 in SL??

Maithri.

might have - noticed a very slight whistle as of late :(

need to go have that check out then..

yup, a 300ZX N/A in sunny SL :)

Thanks Devinda,

Maithri.

Maithri

if you can spare the time....

when i did my tests... the HC level was high... so i'm burning fuel despite getting 10+kmpl in col and 15+ in open roads :lol:

how should i go about in bringing this down...

toyota recommends doing a full tuneup... This includes injector cleaning...ECU resetting etc...

Will this only do or am i asking too much from a 93 sprinter :P

DevindaZ

before you start... yeah yeah the Z is far better in emissions over the corolla :P

As Maithri said standards set in Sri Lanka can easily comply by todays EFI engines and those are more prone to Caburetor era standards.

Even in carburetor engines , if averagely maintained , may be able to pass these tests.

I here mention about the petrol equivalents.

However giving some allowances (can anybody explain) to Three Wheelers and Mortor Cycles are in questions (Exhaust's Petrol smell is a purely HC emission violation.). Hope that these smells produce by latter said vehicles will be vanished from Sri Lankan Air and relevant authorites will be in a strong position.

Edited by Rohnd

Even in carburetor engines , if averagely maintained , may be able to pass these tests.

not too sure about this

i heard that a certain enthusiast club who had thier cars tested had many of them fail, even though they were well maintained and in good tune

i know there are a few members from the club on the forum so would greatly appreciate thier comments on this matter as it could well be an issue faced by anyone owning a classic car :mellow:

not too sure about this

i heard that a certain enthusiast club who had thier cars tested had many of them fail, even though they were well maintained and in good tune

i know there are a few members from the club on the forum so would greatly appreciate thier comments on this matter as it could well be an issue faced by anyone owning a classic car :mellow:

Just beat the deadline with my two old Alfas. The Club has made a request for some allowance that should be heard. There are hundreds of classics and thousands of other vehicles on the road that will not comply IMO. So some thinking will be required. There's the other thing of greasing palms which may also give you a "PASSED" chop. Let's wait n see.

not too sure about this

Just beat the deadline with my two old Alfas. The Club has made a request for some allowance that should be heard. There are hundreds of classics and thousands of other vehicles on the road that will not comply IMO. So some thinking will be required. There's the other thing of greasing palms which may also give you a "PASSED" chop. Let's wait n see.

not too sure about this

Devinda ,Yes your point is correct.

The classics we mentioned have come pre 1970's time when there were no postulated emission standards in the world.

Take for example , SU Carburetors in old Minis & Morris Minors , no definite emission control plans were available

compared to the carburetors in late 1980s. These engines did not have even a PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. The factors such as availability of correct parts ,Jets /needles are in questions to maintain those at least to the threshold.

Other thing you mentioned is well maintained factor , it should not indicate money pumped or invested for external appearance and getting maximum acceleration in terms of properly maimntained. Most of the engines are modified or

tuned for maximum first Km/s (acceleration) not for Maximum Km/Liter by using aftermarket not recommended orifice

sizes in their carburetors, apart from the absence of emission control mechanisms. The associated igntion systems are

also such that. The OEM parts are now almost not available for these old cars/vehicles, so we cannot barely expect at

least early 1990s standards.

My argument is that an allowance should be given to these vehicles (since the population is less and also less usage)

too like for Three Wheelers/Motor Bikes ,as it is hardly imagine the compliance of these tests to said vehicles.

Edited by Rohnd

friends how a b the CTB Bus and gov vehicals i think they dont need that, :o

Yes, Why trains !!!.

Always committed to Clean envioronment.

The Governmment has different agendas. GOOD OR BAD !

Like retail sales of commodities when they sell , Fuel prices. different different Taxes !!

Hi,

Pre 1970's cars should not be subjected to measured tests in the UK, We just look at the smoke emitted visually so a poorly set up car is very easily identified. With any rule or law an allowance is normally made to ensure retrospective effects are not draconian. To ask a pre 1975 car to pass todays standards are a farce. I hope the law in SL does not require this to be the case. If it is, all it takes is a fundamental rights case by someone who no longer can go to work in his Morris Minor to ask for legal redress. I am sure our courts still have learned Judges unlike the lot in our Parliment where the brain cells appear to be at a premium.

Maithri

• 2 months later...
Don't waste your time... i tried today in the morning at maligawatta, and was refused.

i went to the bambalpitya drive green station ( 2 doors next to keels) and got the test done in 5 minutes.

no problem at all

Checked the Drive Green web site and it doesn't say that they have a station at Bamba. Can any one tell me where about this Drive Green station in Bamba. Want to get my car checked as my RL is expiring next month.

Edited by Bharath

test results valid for one year,so needs to be done prior to annual revenue licence renwal

States below are the items indicated in the emmission test results sheet for a petrol vehicle

HC PPM VOL - Limit : 1200

CO% VOL - Limit 4.500

CO2 % VOL

O2 % VOL

Lambda

Now the limits seems to have been extended. When I did the green test last week, HC PPM limit was 1600 and CO% was 6.0 :blink:

A Drive Green center is located on Marine drive close to Majestic City. You will not miss it. There is a large board facing the Marine Drive.

Thank you for the quick responce machan. I am going tomorrow and hope not much crowded.

Edited by Bharath