• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Emissions Testing In Sl

gunat

I've heard that the Govt. has given the go-ahead to start emissions testing for cars starting in the New Year.

Laugfs is rumoured to be providing the testing facillities and issuing the 'certificate', which i'm told, you have to produce when renewing your licence. Depending on your 'failure' percentage, you will have to pay a fine on top of your usual Licence fee.

Apart from the fact that this is a blatant money making scheme for both Laugfs and the govt., i'm pretty sure most cars will fail the test given the quality of our petrol, and probably will be adjusted to ensure failure.

The kicker is that Buses and Trishaws might be exempt given they are facillities for the 'common man'....

Anyone know more about this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm pretty sure most cars will fail the test given the quality of our petrol, and probably will be adjusted to ensure failure.

The kicker is that Buses and Trishaws might be exempt given they are facillities for the 'common man'....

Well i've kind of heard abt. this.....

What can I say..... U’ve put it very correctly....... in short another way to screw the common people

Can it get any worse ? ....... hell yes.... this is SL been run by a bunch of clowns ....

I've heard that the Govt. has given the go-ahead to start emissions testing for cars starting in the New Year.

Laugfs is rumoured to be providing the testing facillities and issuing the 'certificate', which i'm told, you have to produce when renewing your licence. Depending on your 'failure' percentage, you will have to pay a fine on top of your usual Licence fee.

Apart from the fact that this is a blatant money making scheme for both Laugfs and the govt., i'm pretty sure most cars will fail the test given the quality of our petrol, and probably will be adjusted to ensure failure.

oh thats just lovely..... so what happens to people who drive classics?

I have a slightly different take on this :)

I"ve seen certain vehicles...mainly diesels and mostly vehicles used for commercial purposes sometimes puts out a lot of smoke...

These kinda black smoking vehicles are abundant on our roads and owners don't give a damn to get it fixed.

I think there should be some way to tackle those buggers cos it's not that the can't fix it just that they don't care enough

I think the government has to set standards that are practical in a 3rd world country.

you can't place california emission standards here cos then about 75% or more vehicles will fail that test quite nicely :o)

we have lots of older vehicles with older technology all thanks to sky high import taxes that won't let old cars die after 10+ years of service...

you can't expect a super clean emission standards when the ground reality is the way it is in SL :o(

But that doesn't give the right for people to blatantly pollute the environment the way they do so i welcome this regulation if the government act according to local "conditions" :o)

as of the information I got, this particular test is applicable only for Diesel vehicles... not sure tho...

That's neat that the gov' is innitiating an emissions test in SL, hopefully it'll go smooth without "much" bribery and things of that nature. Most cities are getting so damn polluted by the unmaintained vehicles that it's a good thing I believe.

I have a slightly different take on this :)

I"ve seen certain vehicles...mainly diesels and mostly vehicles used for commercial purposes sometimes puts out a lot of smoke...

These kinda black smoking vehicles are abundant on our roads and owners don't give a damn to get it fixed.

I think there should be some way to tackle those buggers cos it's not that the can't fix it just that they don't care enough

I think the government has to set standards that are practical in a 3rd world country.

you can't place california emission standards here cos then about 75% or more vehicles will fail that test quite nicely :o)

we have lots of older vehicles with older technology all thanks to sky high import taxes that won't let old cars die after 10+ years of service...

you can't expect a super clean emission standards when the ground reality is the way it is in SL :o(

But that doesn't give the right for people to blatantly pollute the environment the way they do so i welcome this regulation if the government act according to local "conditions" :o)

Your right some commercial vehicles that are running on da roads are putting a lot of black smoke! I think if the government were to tackle these vehicles there should be honest pea pol working ! ! ! We all know that that is never gonna happen in sri lanka ! ! With all da bribery And all! ! ! ! ! <_<

Hey guys, com'on....

Don't look at all things in the same way....

As far as I am aware laughs is already doing it and soon there will be 8 centres island wide.

All cars that are locally manufactured / assembled should have emission test report for RMV registration, this is the first phase, in a phase out manner all vehicles will have to undergo this.

Laughf's they do a pretty good job, sorry can not get around them, I had an issue with cops running with smoke, due to sensor issue on idle there were no smoke, I was asked to get an emission test and report back, failed thrice with Laugh's and ultimately had to go through rectifying.

Then I learned that this is going to be mandatory, but introduced in phases and they have left margins depending on certain circumstances.

I think this is a fair move, we all have our responsibilities towards the environment.

If we were in another part of the world we wouldn't have grumbled on this.

Cheers

Tikiri

Hey guys, com'on....

Don't look at all things in the same way....

Don’t get me wrong – I’m all for it..

The fact been that we are so corrupt there would be guys who can get a way with out paying the fine.

If it’s only for diesel vehicles then would it involve the buses ? Lorries ? etc ?

Next we’ll be having a strike by the Private buses – so the rule will be lifted for public transport.

In the end it’ll be people like U & I who already paying a absurd tax and all that… paying yet again for others sins – finally making Laugh and some govt. officials thumping rich

But I strongly believe that we need this -

:action-smiley-060:

In the end it’ll be people like U & I who already paying a absurd tax and all that… paying yet again for others sins – finally making Laugh and some govt. officials thumping rich

Bus and lorry drivers too suffer a lot as result of inflation and taxation.

I still believe that there are people out there who doesn't give a damn about anything or anyone other than themselves...

I don't think they have the right to ruin the environment in such a bad way when the situation can be rectified with a repair....

though it's true that this another reason for corrupt cops/officials to make a quick buck etc but these things have to be started at some point or else there will be loads and loads of vehicles with black smoke etc ruining out already threatened environment...

BTW... i don't think it's fair to couple these things with the current economy and political situ :o)

if we think like that it'll be pretty difficult to implement environmental friendly activities cos almost all of them will incur additional costs etc :o)

End of the air we breath is the most important thing to all of us so it's up to use to keep it clean :o)

Inflation etc should be tackled differently by pressuring politicians to lead the country "properly"

vehicle emmission testing is arequirement in most countries in the world.

I am aware the standards have been set after a great deal of study by esp of the usa.

in the first year only 5% of the worst vehicles will fail and the standards will be adjusted evry

year until we come down to international levels.

40 % of infants are suffering from asthma in sl because of polluting vehicles........

laughs and cleanco are the 2 authorised testers in sl.check out the website

http://www.drivegreen.lk

it gives a lot of details. interestincly cleanco is apart of akbar brothers....

Don't get me wrong- i have nothing against Emissions testing- its a step in the right direction- the day we have high performance cars running on Bio-Diesel or some alternative fuel will be a watershed in Auto History. It needs to be done, especially in a developing country such as ours.

But as some of the forum members have highlighted- this is not a uniform law that will apply for all.

Politicos and their sons/thugs will never "pay" for it- and those with politcal connections will use influence to make sure they are either exempt or the test is falsified.

If the rumour is true in stating that only "Car" owners are subject to the test (ie. buses and three wheelers are not required to pass the test), then there is something blantantly wrong.

Laugfs makes money from what is going to be a utter BS Test (downright disgusting, but you have to admit there is someone with smart business savvy at that company!),

And of course, the govt. needs more money to pay for trips to New York and the Grand Canyon.

This is what makes us SL'kans different from other successful Asian countries- we're willing to screw our own people to fill our own pockets.

Don't get me wrong- i have nothing against Emissions testing- its a step in the right direction- the day we have high performance cars running on Bio-Diesel or some alternative fuel will be a watershed in Auto History. It needs to be done, especially in a developing country such as ours.

unfortunately biofuels are a fraud. in fact they are more harmful to the environment than what we use now. they're just a cheaper option to pollute the environment with.

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...ic=4051&hl=

This is what makes us SL'kans different from other successful Asian countries- we're willing to screw our own people to fill our own pockets.

Yes very true- Ripper I do agree we should have this implemented in SL. By all mean we dearly need it.. I was driving home last night and the lorry in front was pumping so much of black smoke I didn’t see the huge pothole which naturally I fell in - dam that was painful for me and my car.

So YES we do need it. With out conditions /exceptions

Most car drives would take care of their vehicles including emissions- it's the lorry's , and Buses both private & CTB which are the main culprits

But I agree with you - we need to start off some where at some time

No vehicle (except military and land vehicles such as tractors) is exempt from the test. All vehicles have to undergo the test and pass it before applying the annual revenue license. The building of test centers by Cleanco and Laugh is on the way. They should start the test by April 2008. Let's wish the program success

Edited by Sugathb

I am a MOT tester in the UK. We are required to test the emmisions of all vehicles we test. The thresholds of the test differs according to how old the car is. If the car is from the early 70's or before the test foe petrol engines are visual to a late (3 year old car) tested to a much stringent standard. This is regardless of the owners status in life-I have tested a member of the house of Lords car- no he didn't try to influence the result-Just read his financial Times newspaper in the office whilst I tested his car.

Here we take a pragmatic view- if it was not made to meet todays standard we do not apply today's standard to it. Simple to set it up. Simple to enforce and adhere to.

The main thing is we naturally comply with the law-not circumvent or subvert it. This is the basis of a civilised developed country not a failed state riddled with corrupt practices and corrupt people in high places.

We need to be proud of our achievements in doing things right not getting things done through the back door.

Maithri.

The main thing is we naturally comply with the law-not circumvent or subvert it. This is the basis of a civilised developed country not a failed state riddled with corrupt practices and corrupt people in high places.

Well said.

Although a previous post indicates that no-one is exempt from the test, lets see what materializes in the next year.

If i was to put money down on it...