• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Engine Swap

VVTi

Hi, experts, I am thinking of swapping my SR20DE with SR20DET that a friend found for me in Japan. I am thinking of dropping this in to my P11.

What kind of trouble am I getting myself in to? Let me know the Pros and the Cons.

Hi, experts, I am thinking of swapping my SR20DE with SR20DET that a friend found for me in Japan. I am thinking of dropping this in to my P11.

What kind of trouble am I getting myself in to? Let me know the Pros and the Cons.

This is a pretty common and popular swap elsewhere. Try www.g20.net for more info

IMO doing it properly is the key.

wont the FWD gearbox from the SR20DE not mate with a SR20DET ? so does it matter whether it was RWD FWD or AWD ?

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a front wheel drive model. The Transversely layed out ones are all from 4WD Cars (Bluebird U12 & U13, Avenir, Pulsar) You may want to look for a SR20VE instead

Or just add the turbo :)

I think thats the way to go. I just checked on the engine again and it is definitely a RWD. Might be too much trouble swapping her in. What will be the cost of turbo upgrade with all the plumbing and who can do it in SL?

Edited by VVTi

I think thats the way to go. I just checked on the engine again and it is definitely a RWD. Might be too much trouble swapping her in. What will be the cost of turbo upgrade with all the plumbing and who can do it in SL?

Call Zakie of Tuned-i chips, he was doing ECU's for SR20DE's and also did a lot of tunning on a certain GTiR. Was also involved with a turbo'ed Honda D series motor. So he should be able to help you. He's number is 0777508864

i too think you're better off turbocharging your engine... but you'd still need that ECU... the main difference between the SR20DE and DET (besides the turbocharger :rolleyes: ) is internal oil lines for the turbo... not a big problem... but if you're looking at high boost you'll have to change all your internals...

i too think you're better off turbocharging your engine... but you'd still need that ECU... the main difference between the SR20DE and DET (besides the turbocharger :rolleyes: ) is internal oil lines for the turbo... not a big problem... but if you're looking at high boost you'll have to change all your internals...

Yes you are right . I've read elsewhere that the SR20DE internals are identical to SR20DET. So putting on a Turbo shouldn't require any modifications to the internals if running standard boost.

Btw Sharkster how's your baby doing. That's still one of my favourite cars :-) The price didn't quite work out with the other car.

Edited by VWvortex

Btw Sharkster how's your baby doing. That's still one of my favourite cars :-) The price didn't quite work out with the other car.

avoiding a threadjack... in a nutshell car's very good but has its expenses... timing belt kit replaced yesterday... clutch and tyres coming up $$$$$$$$$ :):) the other car is actually one of the few cars that has a safe history... most others in the category are to be avoided unless you have a huge restoration budget... but good luck on your hunt :)

on the topic... how much is this SR20DET engine you're looking at vvti?

Edited by sharkster

Hi VVTi

Mentioned swap is not an easy task.Not a complete swap its going to be.You upgarde the existing DE to DET is the solution.Mentioned package consist of basic and essential parts to get your SR20DE(T )running:

- Fuel Pump (Walbro recmded)

- Stage 1 clutch (EXEDY)

-Greddy Mspec Intercooler S13

-Downpipe (whatever you find instock or from your friend at the time)

-Hotpipe

-Greddy Type RS BOV

-Iridium Spark Plugs-(NGK??)

-Upgraded or additional radiator

-Flex-a-lite Dual Fan w/o thermo switch

-Nismo Mount Kit (optional if mounts mismatch)

Must ask can you afford the mentioned list (just to make T only)??? Then comes the Body mods to accomodate the intercooler.ECU is almost compatible I heard.Is it 116 type you got now?? then 90% of ECU problems are already sorted.

THE 20DET BABE!

sr20detja1.jpg

The RWD/FWD issue blocks the complete motor & tranny swap.20DE is a wonderful motor (dont get me wrong-DET is great too).Maybe locally sourced forged rods, forged 8.5:1(guess this is ok) pistons, sleeved block, port polished head, cams, valvetrain, cryotreated crank,CR tranny would attract more horses to your stock 20DE,if you hunt for bhp.

Good luck mate!

MINIACE