• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Repair Of Galant Sigma

Sigma

Question

Dear Friends,

Im new to here. I need your expert knowledge to clarify few things.

I am owing a 7 sri Galant Sigma and it was running condition till last week. Now its in the garage, garage guy told me do a overall repair for the engine. He already removed and dis-assembly the engine. Now I have to buy all the parts, pistons, rings, oil seals etc. However another friend recommonded me to put recondition engine instead of reparing this.

1. Engine 4G32 - is it available in market ? Is it worth to replace the engine or keep exisisting one after reparing?

2. If repair existing one - Where to buy these engine parts? How much will be approximate cost? What are the suitable brands ? How long I can use without any trouble?

Which you recommond? Replace engine or repair existing one?

12 answers to this question

Dear Friends,

I am owing a 7 sri Galant Sigma and it was running condition till last week. Now its in the garage, garage guy told me do a overall repair for the engine. He already removed and dis-assembly the engine. Now I have to buy all the parts, pistons, rings, oil seals etc. However another friend recommonded me to put recondition engine instead of reparing this.

1. Engine 4G32 - is it available in market ? Is it worth to replace the engine or keep exisisting one after reparing?

2. If repair existing one - Where to buy these engine parts? How much will be approximate cost? What are the suitable brands ? How long I can use without any trouble?

I am sorry to hear about your car,

There is actually no such thing as a recondition engine, just used engines which might be in decent order, and sometimes it makes sense to use a used engine in good condition rather than do an engine repair simply because of the varying quality of workmanship of some of the peopl who does such repairs.

The place to find such engines is the infamous "Watte" in panchikawatte which runs along the canal and the place is full of engines, and you might find one there

But in reality it might be difficult to find one in good order simply because your car is a bit old, and perhaps it might be better to do an engine repair than to go down the used engine option. I suggest you utilise a good machine shop such as Lal & Nihal or Samarasinge Brothers to rebuild your engine. Done well the engine rebuild should give you in excess of 100 000 KM at least (it should actually be closer to 200 000 but it depends on the workmanship really in the end)

And if possible try to get a warranty for the work done by the engine rebuild company, and I think Samarasinghe brothers gives you such a warranty (correct me if I am wrong somebody)

Dear Friends,

Don has lotsa of things covered...

My only concern is that what was the reason for a full engine overhaul? If the issue is only worn bore/piston/rings etc...the usual top end issues... a repair should see you through fine... However it depends on how many times the engine has been bored before etc etc... and what exactly is wrong with your faulty engine...

Replacing most of the engine parts is not a good option if you have access to a decent used engine... depending on the repair sometimes it might be cheaper to buy a used engine...

Sadly don't know much about your car to give any ideas about prices and parts/engine availability...

Hope somebody else who knows can chime in and help you out :)

Good luck mate and welcome to the forum :)

Dear Friends,

guys, isn't there another engine that he can swap with???

something newer, which will still prooly be cheaper or equal to doing a total rebuild (hopefully).

Edited by Arc Angel

guys, isn't there another engine that he can swap with???

something newer, which will still prooly be cheaper or equal to doing a total rebuild (hopefully).

good point... don't know much about the car in concern but i'm guessing that with a few mods it should be able to take another type of engine....

Hell if MINI's can take Vtecs don't see why this can't take another powerplant :)

HI Sigma!

A big welcome to the forum

Mitsubishi 4G32 "saturn" is a wonderful engine and the Galant third generation 1976 Sigma is a great machine too!

First dont try to change/swap the engine.The 1.6 L ,8-valve SOHC "saturn" parts are available and low priced as well.

There are many places in Panchikawatte (sorry cant mention names) including ######## outlet infront of AC Paul shop next to the filling station.

Get the overhaul done if the compression test results are bad and the oil burn/loss is high.

My dad owned a Sigma ,8 Sri 881 two decades ago and he still admires that car.

Good luck mate! contact me / us (AL friends) for any further help.

MINIACE

Thanks brothers...happy to get some good points. Thanks Mini for your suggestions.

Yes it is 7 sri 9541, saturn engine!

I recently bought it from my friend (2.5 lak is it woth?) and it is better and comfortoble car than my Hyundai Accent GLS.

I made several long trips, to Kandy, Puttalam etc. Im willing to keep car with little modifications. Its really nice machine. :)

My friend already done nice paint/AC/Gas/Alloys.

I found there were oil leak/burning. As Mini said parts available in Panchikawatte, I had little search yesterday. But I dont know brands to buy (garage will do it ?). My tech guy said it is un-touched engine, no early repairs last 30 yrs (except minor). According to him its need only replace rings, bearings, racers, belts etc. And keep existing pistons. No need to bore.

Mini, if u dnt mind can you please email me ([email protected]) details of that shop ?

Thanks again...

Thanks brothers...happy to get some good points. Thanks Mini for your suggestions.

I recently bought it from my friend (2.5 lak is it woth?) and it is better and comfortoble car than my Hyundai Accent GLS.

I made several long trips, to Kandy, Puttalam etc. Im willing to keep car with little modifications. Its really nice machine. :)

I found there were oil leak/burning. As Mini said parts available in Panchikawatte, I had little search yesterday. But I dont know brands to buy (garage will do it ?). My tech guy said it is un-touched engine, no early repairs last 30 yrs (except minor). According to him its need only replace rings, bearings, racers, belts etc. And keep existing pistons. No need to bore.

Mini, if u dnt mind can you please email me ([email protected]) details of that shop ?

Thanks again...

Sigma,

Judging by your last post...i think it's safe to assume that a decent overhaul will see you through quite easily.

good luck :)

A second hand engine is just that-used-probably abused?-who knows? In my days in SL we had some superb Mechanics in our country like I have very rarely seen in England- They would build your engine to a better standard than a production line engine of nowadays-so a completely overhauled engine was as good as new sometimes better! So the the results depend on the quality of the machine work and the care and skills of the man doing the building. Of course the quality of the parts fitted is also of paramount importance. I seem to remember these cars for their super reliability and economy! Mitsubishi always used to have good engines-so a completely re-built unit will be a great asset if done by the right person using good quality parts and processes. At the end don't forget to run the new engine in gently-Very important for a reliable and long lasting engine.

Maithri

Thanks again...

That sounds like a fairly straight forward repair, definitely go for an engine rebuild, as it would definitely be worthwhile

I am sure our good friend mini would be emailing you those places soon