• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4x4 Tire Sizes

fuzzo

Take this as an example.

185/60R14 85H or 185/60HR14

The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".

The last number is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

To figure the outside diameter of a tire, take the sidewall height and multiply by 2,(remember that the diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel, and the one below the wheel) and add the diameter of the wheel to get your answer.

can one of the 4x4 experts explain to me how the tire sizes are calculated. i have seen wheels being 33x12xR15 (i think)

how does the 33 and 12 relate?

also does anyone know where i can get decent 16 or 17" rims with a deep dish. (6 stud)

Have you tried outdoorsman down castle street?

If you plan to do serious 4x4 activity metal rims would be the best.

machan,

wuts ur vehicle. lot of mud thread tyres aren't relly good for the on road running. I had a set of MAXXIS MUDZILLA - really good for mud. but shit on the road. handling is NIL. BFG is a very good on road tyre.

• 2 months later...

Old thread but nobody's answered the first question ... 33X12-R15 ... I had these sized tires on my Toyota and it needed a lift kit to fit well 'cos the tires would rub when the steering was turned.

33 = 33" tall

12 = 12" wide

R = speed rating (R=170km/h)

15 = rim size

oky doky ... I'm out!