• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla 81 Engine Repair

Aruna Pradeep

Hey Bros..

Need your help again...im little bit confused.Yesterday my father has took that sprinter to our mechanic.he has checked the car and said need to replace the Engine Head.after careful observation he said this.

So guyz do u know a place where i can find a corolla engine head.or is it better to replace the whole engine.one of my pal said once he too had to replace Engine head on his Trad sunny.the head he found was cost Rs.12k but he was able to find a engine for rs.20k.

so guyz it would be a great help if one of you know about the cost and the places...

thanks

Aruna

Hey Bros..

Need your help again...im little bit confused.Yesterday my father has took that sprinter to our mechanic.he has checked the car and said need to replace the Engine Head.after careful observation he said this.

So guyz do u know a place where i can find a corolla engine head.or is it better to replace the whole engine.one of my pal said once he too had to replace Engine head on his Trad sunny.the head he found was cost Rs.12k but he was able to find a engine for rs.20k.

so guyz it would be a great help if one of you know about the cost and the places...

thanks

Aruna

Aruna,

I also have bought complete engine for my Trad sunny for 20,000/= it was in 2003. Now days engine cost has been reached to 50,000/= because of custom taxes. So you may not be able to buy engine for 20,000/= (I can’t sure) also your sprinter model also old one. So it is very difficult to find complete engine. I think, its better you can find engine head. Engine heads available in panchikawaththa area. try this number and ask telling your engine model. This is one engine shop called SITHARA MOTORS near the Panchikawaththa Bridge. 5346612/0777709008

Anyway try US Spare parts- Deheiwala, japan lanka - Kalubovila, Jayasiri motors- mawanella, Kurunegala Yunikon, Ananda Auto Plaza – Kurunegala, Silwa motors Kuliyapitiya. They had OLD models.

Good luck.

Aruna,

I also have bought complete engine for my Trad sunny for 20,000/= it was in 2003. Now days engine cost has been reached to 50,000/= because of custom taxes. So you may not be able to buy engine for 20,000/= (I can’t sure) also your sprinter model also old one. So it is very difficult to find complete engine. I think, its better you can find engine head. Engine heads available in panchikawaththa area. try this number and ask telling your engine model. This is one engine shop called SITHARA MOTORS near the Panchikawaththa Bridge. 5346612/0777709008

Anyway try US Spare parts- Deheiwala, japan lanka - Kalubovila, Jayasiri motors- mawanella, Kurunegala Yunikon, Ananda Auto Plaza – Kurunegala, Silwa motors Kuliyapitiya. They had OLD models.

Good luck.

just a thought...you think our friend's car can accept a bit more modern engine with some minor mods than it's original ae81 motor?

Edited by Ripper

just a thought...you think our friend's car can accept a bit more modern engine with some minor mods than it's original ae81 motor?

My sentiments exactly... I think an AE91 engine will slot in well, and I am sure plenty of them around as they came out during the great 'conversion to diesel' craze'.

Hey Bros..

thanks

Aruna

You should also get a second opinion. I suggest a well known engine shop like Edirisinghe Bros would be able to help you.

You only need a head if the head has cracked or lost its physical integrity in some way ..... There are occasions heads can be repaired.

My own mechanic Wasantha has good contacts in Panchikawatte and found an engine for my own car, which is a bit rarer than yours so if you cannot locate one yourself try him, his Garrage is on the base line road on the left hand side if you are treavelling from Borella towards kelaniya bridge, just after the railway crossing which comes after the prison.

My sentiments exactly... I think an AE91 engine will slot in well, and I am sure plenty of them around as they came out during the great 'conversion to diesel' craze'.

The AE81 engines are mostly carbs, but the AE91 engines are mostly EFI, and you would require the wiring harness and the ECU and basically finding them would be difficult and would add to the cost of the repair. I would not think finding an AE81 engine would be that difficult, being a Toyota and the same 1500cc engine probably went on other cars as well. Being a bit old you might have to search a bit harder but I am sure they are out there. I mean we managed to find an engine for our old Mazda from a yard in Peliyagoda (we only needed the distributor from it !)

The AE81 engines are mostly carbs, but the AE91 engines are mostly EFI, and you would require the wiring harness and the ECU and basically finding them would be difficult and would add to the cost of the repair. I would not think finding an AE81 engine would be that difficult, being a Toyota and the same 1500cc engine probably went on other cars as well. Being a bit old you might have to search a bit harder but I am sure they are out there. I mean we managed to find an engine for our old Mazda from a yard in Peliyagoda (we only needed the distributor from it !)

Spot on Don...as usual :rolleyes:

I also second Don's suggestion to take your car to Wasantha... He's a nice chap and i'm sure he'll help you out to locate a motor :)

good lucks and keep us posted :)

Hi bros...

lot of thanks for your comments bros...

Yesterday i put a leave and spend the whole day in engine duty.Our Mechanic introduced me a trusted known person at LAL & NIHAL autoworks named MR.Weerasingha.he helped me a lot.with his help able to find reconditioned 3A engine head from panchikawaththa for Rs.17K.

Hope to fix the engine on today.

Its good to be in this group.Will write you again share my experience with you.Thanks for every comment you gave.those are really helpful.

Aruna

Hi bros...

lot of thanks for your comments bros...

Yesterday i put a leave and spend the whole day in engine duty.Our Mechanic introduced me a trusted known person at LAL & NIHAL autoworks named MR.Weerasingha.he helped me a lot.with his help able to find reconditioned 3A engine head from panchikawaththa for Rs.17K.

Hope to fix the engine on today.

Its good to be in this group.Will write you again share my experience with you.Thanks for every comment you gave.those are really helpful.

Aruna

Excellent, Lal & Nihal is a good machine shop and you seemed to have got the engine at a good price.

Did your mechanic tell you why he felt the head had to be changed ?. Its possible your car might have over heated so better also clean up your radiator, hoses, fan, and the electronics related to the cooling system as well

regards,

The Don

Yes he told the thing pal......the previous owner was a bastard :ninja: ......because of his rudeness this sprinter had felt a heavy pain by breaking the T belt..im worried about her... :huh:

but now she has come to the hand of a car lover... B)

I think a replacement engine was the most effective option then. Remember you need to replace the timing belt in the new engine as well as there are no guarantees as to how many miles it has run.

Yes pal..i too thinking on that....but for this moment have to satisfied by replacing the Head part and by the way try to find a new engine for a reasonable price.finding an engine in a hurry is not possible.if we do that may have to go for a massive cost.

Can't cut corners with the timing belt "pal" because if that thing goes bust again you are back to square one, and that isn't a place you want to find yourself in !

My garrage had a guy come in needing to replace the engine as the timing belt had snapped taking the valves with it and cracking the head, and he got a replacement engine with some difficulty and at some cost, and since he wanted to sell the car asap he decided to save some money and not replace the belt on the new engine, and guess what happened ???

Miraculously he managed to find yet another engine and I do not know how well that fared, but there are 2 dud engines in this garage which bear testament to my point !