• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Official Drags

hybrid_boost

The offical drags that happened at GP was way long ago..2001/2? even before popularity of 'night events' took off. Since then there have been many efforts to organize 'legal events' - which have not been successful, other than a few that took off at Katu. Dont mean to be a dampner but it'll be tough- but hell if you can pull it off, I'm sure there will be interested parties :)

With my experience with drags and police, I can’t think of a way you could get permission to run races on public roads. However I discussed the possibility of getting a track for drags parallel to the ATV track near Sri Jayawardhanapura Hospital. The guy was very much interested, but he will need backup form some organizers, so that he said he could get a gravel track prepared for drags. You can have stretch about 750 meters there and can extent with a small bend.

If few of you get together and make this initiated, you will have a safe and official place to drag with a reasonable fee in Colombo.

Since most of our cars are front wheel drives, I personally think that gravel track will be ok.

GMI - can you give more details on the track you are referring to. i'm sure if it's doable, we can get a motoring body to speak to him and work it out

They have an ATV track there now. The owner told me that they can quickly prepare a track for drags as they have equipments. Guy is always there – it’s near the 2 bumps @ Jayawardhanapura hospital road, Thalapathpitiya. I can get his phone # on Monday.

He asked me how they can charge and I proposed Rs.250- per run. Only thing is he needs a guarantee that there will be drags happening there every week or more frequent. That’s why we need a group of organizers here.

According to him, they have police permission to run any kind of races there.

Edited by GMI

They have an ATV track there now. The owner told me that they can quickly prepare a track for drags as they have equipments. Guy is always there – it’s near the 2 bumps @ Jayawardhanapura hospital road, Thalapathpitiya. I can get his phone # on Monday.

He asked me how they can charge and I proposed Rs.250- per run. Only thing is he needs a guarantee that there will be drags happening there every week or more frequent. That’s why we need a group of organizers here.

well thats very gud news

How about charging Rs. 250- per person before the race and then refund the winner. so the winner pays nothing...but then there wont be any JUST FOR FUN runs ''as they say''!!! in that case both parties shaee the fee.

Edited by Overdrive

How about charging Rs. 250- per person before the race and then refund the winner. so the winner pays nothing...but then there wont be any JUST FOR FUN runs ''as they say''!!! in that case both parties shaee the fee.

Yes we can propose any plans to the owner there. Only thing is, he should get a fee for track maintenance and some profit. He’s open to suggestions. In fact he asked me to propose a fee when I suggested drags there.

bro thats kind of a gud news....if they hav permisson wht else need.....there wil drags happnin.......

Hows the surface or hows it going to be like?

MINIACE

It’s a recently filled land and will not be good for drags if the track is wet; otherwise the track has enough traction.

A motor car club also was looking at this for timing event, but it did not take up as of some other reasons.

Track is very much favorable for MINI’s, so no worries for us :jumping-smiley-013:

Guys will see our MINI’s running against 2ltrs there :angry-smiley-048:

It’s a recently filled land and will not be good for drags if the track is wet; otherwise the track has enough traction.

A motor car club also was looking at this for timing event, but it did not take up as of some other reasons.

Track is very much favorable for MINI’s, so no worries for us :jumping-smiley-013:

Guys will see our MINI’s running against 2ltrs there :angry-smiley-048:

i'm not sure people would be very keen on gravel but it's a start...

i know this place... its a hastle when its dry and its a hastle when its wet... im pretty sure this the same place that the upcountry mortor sports guys had the gymkahna... but hey this is the best bet for us so lets go for it... in the mean time i spoke with some high level (DIG level) policemen on this matter and they seemed pretty ok with it...the official drags i mean