• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Noise

Sanath

I have a Toyota E E 106 station wagon (Carburetor model)and at idling speed the engine noise of the vehicle is little higher. What could be the reason for this? Could anyone give me some advice to lower the noise?

Sanath, I think we would have problems answering your question without a bit more information. Engine noise is a fairly subjective matter and a lot of the time its normal though at times its indicative of a fault.

If you are not happy with the level of engine noise, but the engine itself is perfectly fine, you could invest in better sound insulation and there are material you can paste on to body panels to achieve this.

If you think there is something wrong with the engine then you should show it to a competent mechanic. It could be something as simple as the car idling a bit higher than normal or something more serious. You would need to elaborate a bit more on this noise to get a more helpful answer

Sanath, I think we would have problems answering your question without a bit more information. Engine noise is a fairly subjective matter and a lot of the time its normal though at times its indicative of a fault.

If you are not happy with the level of engine noise, but the engine itself is perfectly fine, you could invest in better sound insulation and there are material you can paste on to body panels to achieve this.

If you think there is something wrong with the engine then you should show it to a competent mechanic. It could be something as simple as the car idling a bit higher than normal or something more serious. You would need to elaborate a bit more on this noise to get a more helpful answer

Exactly. When you say engine noise, most members here will find it hard to imagine what sort of noise :action-smiley-060:

/bigDaddy

Edited by big Daddy

Dear all,

Thanks for trying to help me. Anyway I find it difficult to locate the source of the noise. The silencer is O.K. No any engine problems found. No loosed nuts etc. While running it's perfect. Only at the idling speed the noise comes. Is it possible the noise come from the valves? What is the best & reliable place to have this checked? Is Toyota company expensive?

Dear all,

Thanks for trying to help me. Anyway I find it difficult to locate the source of the noise. The silencer is O.K. No any engine problems found. No loosed nuts etc. While running it's perfect. Only at the idling speed the noise comes. Is it possible the noise come from the valves? What is the best & reliable place to have this checked? Is Toyota company expensive?

Describe the noise Sanatha, what does it sound like ?

It sounds like a fast running engine with a bit of rattling noise. But fuel consumption is O.K.

I think you might be hearing a tappet noise ?

Is it something that goes tick-tick-tick, if it is the tappets it could be one of a few things,

1. Your engine oil is either too thick or too thin for your car or you need to do an oil change.

2. The oil pressure tappets on your car have worn down

3. The oil pump in your car is not working properly

4. There is sludge on your engine which is interfering with the flow of oil

amongst others. Obviously this is just based on the assumption that this is tappet noise.

It is always best if you take the car to a qualified mechanic and let him detect the source of the problem because all we can do is guess with the limited amount of information provided.

Dear all,

dear all

i have the same problem with my Starlet EP 82, it is noisy when it is on idle..