• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla Ke 20

sltcdma

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla KE20. It is with good running conditions. But when I drove to Kandy from Rathnapura it had severe difficulty's to climb Kadugannawa.

I used 2nd gear to climb but it was harder. Can anyone help me to trouble shoot?

Due to two main reasons this could happen.

1. Under compression. KE 20 is a bit old model therefore this reason is most possible. You can check whether it's engine oil burning. Thick smoke comming out from the muffler.

2. For better fuel economy, the carburator jets might have been thinned down.

The best thing is to send the vehicle for a good garage to detect the problem.

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla KE20. It is with good running conditions. But when I drove to Kandy from Rathnapura it had severe difficulty's to climb Kadugannawa.

I used 2nd gear to climb but it was harder. Can anyone help me to trouble shoot?

first of all...nice screen name :) It's pretty ironic that i'm at the moment working on an advert for SLT cdma :lol:

now on the car issue apart from what jaga had said... do a few checks like..

check for blue smoke from the exhaust to see if you're burning oil... This is mainly due to worn piston rings/damaged or worn piston/ damaged or worn bore or oil seeping through valve guides/seals... If you check you spark plugs ideally they should be a golden brown/tan sorta color... if it's black with soot deposits etc that's another sure sign of oil burn...

If your carby is meddled with for better fuel economy...not only at low gears but also at higher gears the car can't be performing well. When you rev up to gain speed you should feel the motor is almost like gasping for air sorta thing :)

Another reason might be worn clutch/pressure plates...

If you don't have smoke issues due to under compression and if the car is running well at higher speeds i'm betting it's the clutch

good luck