• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Theft

gunat

Seen a lot of threads on Insurance & Car Alarms-

Very curious to know how real the threat is in Colombo....any forum members know of first hand car thefts of known friends/family/colleagues?

Rumoured High Risk Vehicles:

- Diesel Jeeps/Cabs/Cars

Again, i've heard rumours that there are certain types of vehicles that are stolen more frequently, but i have never met anyone firsthand who has been a victim.

With all the money spent on Insurance and Alarms, i wonder how much is actually justified...

Any thoughts?

Very curious to know how real the threat is in Colombo....any forum members know of first hand car thefts of known friends/family/colleagues?

- Diesel Jeeps/Cabs/Cars

Again, i've heard rumours that there are certain types of vehicles that are stolen more frequently, but i have never met anyone firsthand who has been a victim.

With all the money spent on Insurance and Alarms, i wonder how much is actually justified...

Any thoughts?

I also heard but never met anyone firsthand. I think no need to worry too much about this until you meet a victim....

Boys you are starting to sound like government MPs. Do you think there no fire behind all the smoke? If you may remember couple of months back I started a thread asking what to do if the owner lost the registration book of the vehicle. Story behind that question is very much related to the topic on hand (Sorry guy I don’t like to go into details).

Diesel SUV’s are a prime target. Especially old pajero’s and intercoolers. Not too sure weather insurance companies pay back compensation but I’ve heard incidents where they had negotiations with criminal gangs and use of such gangs to recover the stolen vehicles. As I said this is something I heard so take it with a pinch of salt.

About security systems, I don’t see alarm systems having much of a counter effect as these gangs are extremely organized, very well armed and very dangerous. A good vehicle tracking system may deliver better results.

When you have a theft cover, the Insurance company gets actively involved in tracking down the vehicle. Otherwise they will have to pay the compensation. Word has it that diesel SUVs and vans are the most common target, as they can be sold to the ##### in Vanni.

Edited by madmax

- Diesel Jeeps/Cabs/Cars

Any thoughts?

I have one of my friend who lost his Mortorcycle at parliament road last year. He parked his motorcycle near the parliament ground and went to the ground with his girl friend. When he is far away from the bike he has seen a gang taking his bike to a lorry. He is helpless because he is far away on the ground and he started to shout and run. When he reached the road the story is finished. Lorry wend out and he even unable to see the number plate of the lorry.

He told me he has reported to the insurance and they asked him to wait some time and see whether cops able to recover the bike. I dont know what has happen thereafter.

I know another two friend of mine who lost their bikes. All these incidents happen near parliament area. Fortunately those guys were able to get their bikes back. Not with the help of cops or vehicle tracking systems. But with help of same kind of thugs. :lol::ninja:

......as they can be sold to the ##### in Vanni.

I heard this was happening few years back when the peace talk and the A9 was open. One of my friends lost his Hiace in Apollo Hospital car park?!!! while he visited a patient and later he found it in Kilinochchi and he told me that the vehicle had been sold there only for 200k. But nowadays its not possible to take the vehicle across the border from any side is it?

When you have a theft cover, the Insurance company gets actively involved in tracking down the vehicle. Otherwise they will have to pay the compensation.....

Thats what keep me going. If you have a theft cover you are not gonna loose any thing unless you have done any 'under value' insurance just for the sake of saving couple of thousands on the premium.

Edited by Bharath

I know another two friend of mine who lost their bikes. All these incidents happen near parliament area. Fortunately those guys were able to get their bikes back. Not with the help of cops or vehicle tracking systems. But with help of same kind of thugs. :lol::ninja:

unfortunately this seems to be the best most effective method

once i saw an ad by an insurance company showing a stolen car being tracked and immobilised.

never saw that again though

That system was GSM based.. where you dial-in a sim that activates a vehicle shut down.. at the same time general area info can be found using the system. Not too confident in playing around with my car's factory electronics though

That system was GSM based.. where you dial-in a sim that activates a vehicle shut down.. at the same time general area info can be found using the system. Not too confident in playing around with my car's factory electronics though

is it still around>

But if the vehicle is taken to an area which is out of GSM network coverage you can't do anything. Is GPS based one available in SL machan?

Edited by Bharath

But if the vehicle is taken to an area which is out of GSM network coverage you can't do anything. Is GPS based one available in SL machan?

Machan I heard that there is an another tracking system which is working with Google Earth. Its just only a tracking system but displays the exact location of the vehicle on the Google Earth. I dont know whether this available in Sri Lanka. One of my friend told me he knows a guy who is using it here. But I dont know it exactly.

Refer the below link for same kind of service available in India.

http://www.bioenabletech.com/gps-tracking-...cking-india.htm

I've not seen anyone installing them here Bharath- but I'm sure a few Europian cars come with them.. dont know if they work though..

Well the trick is to recover the vehicle before it can be taken too far..

Well the trick is to recover the vehicle before it can be taken too far..

Yes, I agree machan. But I don't think the GPS based one is available in SL cos I don't see any advertisements.

Dial*og G*m provides a vehicle tracking system.....

Are you sure? I checked with their web site and it doesn't say anything about vehicle tracking.

I found there is a company called 'Geoinformatics International' which has introdused vehicle tracking and fleet management system in Sri Lanka.

Edited by Bharath

once i saw an ad by an insurance company showing a stolen car being tracked and immobilised.

never saw that again though

this service is no longer provided by the insurance company. I believe there was a problem with the defence ministry and it was discontinued.