• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer Cs1

L board

Dear All

I have noticed that the Mitsubishi Lancer CS1 has few versions. I have seen GLX, GL, Cedia, MX etc. Do you know what the differences are? Also which version has the best demand in the market? Are parts available for all these models?

L Board

Sorry L Board, I think this particular generation of Lancers were not as popular as previous versions. I actually do not know any members of this forum who drives a CS1 hence the silence.

Perhaps one of our members with experience in the motor trade might be able to comment, fingers crossed !

Dear All

I have noticed that the Mitsubishi Lancer CS1 has few versions. I have seen GLX, GL, Cedia, MX etc. Do you know what the differences are? Also which version has the best demand in the market? Are parts available for all these models?

L Board

Cedia's are all reconditioned cars

Low market value - possibly on account of the GDI engines :unsure:

most of these came with a CVT gear box & some with 4WD, but can't confirm

all this is plain speculation , so please don't hold me on any of this...

i figure GL to be the lowest grade - without power shutters etc.

GLX could logically be the step up from this with the body colour mirrors, door handles etc + P/S etc

the MX i susspect to the more sporty of the range with the 1.5L units and all round disks , spoiler etc

let me stress agian that this is all speculation and educated guessing

Cedia's are all reconditioned cars

Low market value - possibly on account of the GDI engines :unsure:

most of these came with a CVT gear box & some with 4WD, but can't confirm

all this is plain speculation , so please don't hold me on any of this...

i figure GL to be the lowest grade - without power shutters etc.

GLX could logically be the step up from this with the body colour mirrors, door handles etc + P/S etc

the MX i susspect to the more sporty of the range with the 1.5L units and all round disks , spoiler etc

let me stress agian that this is all speculation and educated guessing

Think I can do a liitle better than Devinda at least on this particular topic,

The Cedia is the Japanese domestic model of this particular generation of Lancer

GL as Devinda correctly pointed out is the lowest Grade

MX I assume fits in the middle, possibly with sporty option, something like the EX-Saloon version of Nissan Sunny's

The GLX is the highest grade

These cars came with 2 engine options (other options are available but I do not know if they were sold in SL) 1.3L and 1.5L. All the Cedia's I've seen are 1.5L

They also came with 3 different types of fuel injection,

Good old carburettors

EFI-MULTI

GDI

and thanks to the problems with the GDI units the whole range seems to have gotten an undeserved bad reputation ! so I concur with Devinda that this is probably why they seem to have such low market value which isn't a bad thing as you can get a fairly good far for little money.

If I were you I would go for a Brand New Imported GLX with a standard fuel injection engine (non GDI)

I have been on the tab with the Lancer CS1 models since its availble for a decent value & my bro may consider to go for one.

From my experience GL is the lowest grade which is with 1.3L engines.

the GLX has more add-on's & you get 1.3 ones as well...

The MX is the highest grade.... If i go back to the CK2 the MX Touring grade has all 4 disc brakes with a touch panel A/C control unit. Not sure if any MX range CS1 was imported b/new.... But there are some with Sunroofs....

The Cedia does have a low demand due to its GDi system which doesn't suit SL.

I have been on the tab with the Lancer CS1 models since its availble for a decent value & my bro may consider to go for one.

From my experience GL is the lowest grade which is with 1.3L engines.

the GLX has more add-on's & you get 1.3 ones as well...

The MX is the highest grade.... If i go back to the CK2 the MX Touring grade has all 4 disc brakes with a touch panel A/C control unit. Not sure if any MX range CS1 was imported b/new.... But there are some with Sunroofs....

The Cedia does have a low demand due to its GDi system which doesn't suit SL.

Thanks for your input. Yes I saw one MX in the morning today. I also thought of considering a CS1 since you can buy a relatively new one for a decent price. Are there parts available in plenty for this model? I have heard that for the ASP model you always have to go to the agents to buy parts and they are obviously expensive with the agents. I am not sure about the availability of parts in the market for CS1 though. Another friend of mine told me that Mitsubishi parts in general are anyway expensive and that is also one reason why the car is cheaper compared to the other similar Jap cars. Wish you all the best with the search for a CS1 for your bro.

Cheers!

L Board

I've only used a Lancer (CB8 '92) when my dad got one as his company car so we never had to worry about repairs :D:D

Looking for parts won't hard as for the ASP model, which i think came only brand new. You can check with Autobase for part avilability... I've heard my freind telling that CK2 parts are a bit expensive...

Good luck with your hunt too....

Thanks for your input. Yes I saw one MX in the morning today. I also thought of considering a CS1 since you can buy a relatively new one for a decent price. Are there parts available in plenty for this model? I have heard that for the ASP model you always have to go to the agents to buy parts and they are obviously expensive with the agents. I am not sure about the availability of parts in the market for CS1 though. Another friend of mine told me that Mitsubishi parts in general are anyway expensive and that is also one reason why the car is cheaper compared to the other similar Jap cars. Wish you all the best with the search for a CS1 for your bro.

Cheers!

L Board

I own a 1993 Mirage coupe and I must say though the prices of certain parts are a bit higher than say Toyota parts I've never had trouble finding parts for my vehicle. Finding body parts for my particular car is a bit problematic since its a coupe but never had any issues finding engine suspension and other parts.

So I do not think finding parts for a CS1 would be a problem (the 1500cc Engine must be a 4G15 which is widely used across the Mitsubishi range) and I do not think body parts should be that difficult to find as well since its a relatively new car and probably shares a lot of parts with the Cedia.

Dinosh might be correct when he says the MX is the highest grade but I do not think any of them came brand new. Traditionally the GLX has been the highest grade but before the CK series I've never seen a MX grade so I might be wrong here !.

One thing to remember though, when it comes to Mitsubishi its best not to rely on agents for much, which is very sad as they have been representing the brand in the country for a very long time. Their prices are quite steep and their recommendations for repairs requires you to be the Maharaja of Gopal to afford and keep up with.

Good luck with your hunt.

The Don

One thing to remember though, when it comes to Mitsubishi its best not to rely on agents for much, which is very sad as they have been representing the brand in the country for a very long time. Their prices are quite steep and their recommendations for repairs requires you to be the Maharaja of Gopal to afford and keep up with.

I second that. The rumor has it that UM use this tactic deliberately to discourage the use/import of recon Mitsubishis. Remember in the early 2000 then Peugeot agent (I think it was car mart) used a similar strategy to discourage the import of recon 406s. They used to charge an absurd six figure amount from the recon owners as registration fees just to be eligible to seek consultation from them

Hey Don,

Just need some info on the '93 Mirage Coupe you used. I checked a b/new colt which is simlar to the Mirage coupe.

Any comments on this vehicle??

Hi Dinosh,

The earlier generations of colts were more or less the hatch back versions of the Mirages as in they shared the same front as the Mirage. The coupe is the same length as the sedan (and has the same boot space) while the colt is obviously shorter.

The drive train suspension etc is the same as the Lancer

Which version of the colt is the one you are after ? I've noticed the latest colt looks like a completely seperate line from the Mirage

One thing I like about the Lancers 93 and up is the chassy stiffness, probably as a result of being used as the base for the Evo, and this means they handle quite well on the road (though the ride is a wee bit hard at times). The coupe is particularly good in this respect as the lack of 2 back doors mean its lighter without compromising chassy rigidity.

Apart from the usual Mitsubishi niggles of this generation (tappets, compressor, idle control valve) my car has been pretty good in terms of reliability and I will not hesitate to buy another one.

A few things to look out for,

1. The ide control valves of this generation of Mitsubishi's (and anybody else who uses Mitsubishi produces components like Proton Hyundai etc) fail, and the symptoms are rough idle and the engine not advancing when the AC is switched on. Not difficult to find and replace.

2. The compressors also have a habit of seizing especially if not used regularly and serviced.

3. Tappet noise is also a common problem with these cars. This is mostly due to worn tappets, worn cylinders weak oil pump, engine sludge or the wrong type of oil used. Watch out for this as it could be a real head ache to sort out. Regular oil changes with the correct type of oil should keep this problem at bay.

4. ECU s. This generation of Mitsubishi's sometimes suffered ECU problems. Check engine light being on, rough idle are dead giveaways of this problem. Some of these ECU's can actually be repaired successfully locally and replacement ECU's are not difficult to find

My car came with a 4G91 engine which puts out a bit more power than the 4G15. But 4G15 being the more common engine means parts for this engine are a bit easier to find, but to be honest I've found that most parts are shared across the Mitsubishi range. The only problem I've had up to now is finding a replacement compressor which I managed after a days searching through scrap yards !. In the process I came across more than 6 compressors for the 4G15 !!!.

The Colt being even lighter than the coupe should be quite nippy I would think, and one with a 4G91 or 4G93 engine (1.8L) should put a smile on your face every time you drive it. :) and for very little money (speaking relatively of course)

I hope this information helps

I second that. The rumor has it that UM use this tactic deliberately to discourage the use/import of recon Mitsubishis. Remember in the early 2000 then Peugeot agent (I think it was car mart) used a similar strategy to discourage the import of recon 406s. They used to charge an absurd six figure amount from the recon owners as registration fees just to be eligible to seek consultation from them

Yeps, a friend of mine went to get his air conditioner serviced (Lancer CK). UM decided the whole air conditioning system needed replacement, evaporator, condenser and compressor. Cost 150 000 !!

The current slump Mitsubishi is enjoying in our country is mostly down to the agents. The Brand New cars sell as they are priced quite competitively compared to others but re sale values plummet due to poor after sales service.