• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Marathons & Cycle Race On Public Roads

Velocity

Dear All,

I am sure that Sinhala New Year Times are pretty joyful for the Sri Lankan Folks. During this Time many Marathons and Cycle races are organized on Public Roads with or without the permission from police.

I came across 6-7 races in our own area / Ragama / Ekala / Jaela on Sunday Morning.

Its pretty Annoying to say that One Cycle or Marathon Participant is followed and supported by At Least 20 people going on Motor Cycles/ Three Wheelers.

Motor Cycles ( NON WEAR HELMETS ) and Three-Wheelers ( CARRY MORE THAN 6 -7 PEOPLE ) are always there to inform the other public road uses that there is a race proceeding and that Public Road uses need to take there vehicles even to the ditch so that there MERRY Avurudhu Race can be Conducted.

If the public does not follow the instructions of this A** H**le who travels in the First Bike - The Next Set of Thugs speak in utter Filth.

Ganin Hu**o Wahane Ehata. Then you also get these Three Wheelers / MOPEDS and even Single Cabs with there Head Lights and Double Signals on OCCUPAYING the Entire Road Following the Participants and Shouting with water Buckets in there hands.

WHAT A MERRY SITE -

IMAGINE THE FUEL WASTED ON THESE RACES AND THE AMOUNT OF PUBLIC DISPLEASURE AND DISTURBANCE CAUSED TO PUBLIC ROAD USES.

I CAN ONLY SAY ONE THING. I JUST DO NOT HOW LEGAL THESE RACES ARE AND I WISHED IF * * HON SARATH N SILVA - CHIEF JUSTICE OF SRI LANKA comes across these ILLEGAL RACES PERSONALLY WHILE DRIVING - Because I am sure if he sees this It will be the end to all these Nonsense.

I think POLICE really need to think about this problem and act. Our Roads are all ready congested and having races on public roads are Absurd.

Edited by Velocity

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar thing happend in our area on galle road yesterday. They were using a Municipality "ambulance" with a drunk driver to clear the road and the usual motorbike thugs scolding everyone on the road in filth to get out of the way for bicycle race. I was just putting my car on to the road from a gas station and the motorbike buggers scolded me in filth for trying to get on to the road. I was so pissed off I did not listen to them and got on to the road, smoked the motorbike and the ambulance too and watched them all dissappear in my rear view mirror! Felt good.

another amused driver on these sort of lame, irresponsible and nuisance acts of these stupids. Thats utter stupidity to think that the road is only for the particular cycle race or the marathon, and many fail to obtain the proper permission from Police in advance and use a traffic bike or a police car to get the road cleared. I never give way or took my vehicle to the side by these demands coz they're not authorized to do so. if a cop issues an order its ok to oblige and whether we agree or not we have to thats the law.

Similar thing happend in our area on galle road yesterday. They were using a Municipality "ambulance" with a drunk driver to clear the road and the usual motorbike thugs scolding everyone on the road in filth to get out of the way for bicycle race. I was just putting my car on to the road from a gas station and the motorbike buggers scolded me in filth for trying to get on to the road. I was so pissed off I did not listen to them and got on to the road, smoked the motorbike and the ambulance too and watched them all dissappear in my rear view mirror! Felt good.

you drives a diesel? yeah you can do this if you're running a diesel, esp with an under compressed diesel engine :rolleyes: In fact knowing its bad I've used this smoke method on annoying bikers and trishaw guys who keep honking from the behind for no reason.

you drives a diesel? yeah you can do this if you're running a diesel, esp with an under compressed diesel engine :rolleyes: In fact knowing its bad I've used this smoke method on annoying bikers and trishaw guys who keep honking from the behind for no reason.

His Avatar Shows what he drives - Its a Tommi Makkinen Editon. :)

I agree with velocity but I think it’s unfair to drive these races away from public roads on the basis that our roads are congested. Both the New York and London marathons are routed via some of the most congested roads in the world. Plus some of the rural areas may lack the infrastructure for an alternative course. I’m not much into athletics but I do believe it is not practical to have a proper marathon (42km) in a running track.

These races need to be bit more organized (word bit may be a major understatement). Instead of having 5 – 6 races in one area why not have one big race/event? But then the whole security aspect comes in to the equation and risk not having such events all together and these are the very same invents some of the youngsters use as a stepping stone into athletics.

Edited by xXx

I agree with velocity but I think it’s unfair to drive these races away from public roads on the basis that our roads are congested. Both the New York and London marathons are routed via some of the most congested roads in the world. Plus some of the rural areas may lack the infrastructure for an alternative course. I’m not much into athletics but I do believe it is not practical to have a proper marathon (42km) in a running track.

These races need to be bit more organized (word bit may be a major understatement). Instead of having 5 – 6 races in one area why not have one big race/event? But then the whole security aspect comes in to the equation and risk not having such events all together and these are the very same invents some of the youngsters use as a stepping stone into athletics.

Bro i am not speaking about the cyclist or the runners.

Its the bunch of Thugs who goes with these Cyclist or the runners. Its like one Cyclist have around 10 Motorcycles and 4-5 three wheels following them and supporting. thats utter chaos and dangerous. And the speeds they go at :( damn.

hmm good topic to talk about .... guys as a supporter to this MERRY awrudu races as u all say ya true they (we) use this methords to move the traffic and make our own way to support the race and i kw the language we use is not that good it's utter filth and it's bad but i don't kw u guys had bad experecnces like getting hit by wet flour .... may be u guys pissed them off too ...to do such a race u have to go to the local police station first and get permission first, then they wil give u police bikes and if u guys convince them they wil even give u few cars or jeeps to go with it ... we used to do the bike race from kotte to kurunegala and al the way back to kotte and the main problems we faced were people they never move there cars and give room for the race cos it's held once a year and lots of effort and hard work is there to make it happen and it's rude not to let it pass by by blocking the road with ur ego ..(your four weel drive or ur handy sports car ) and by the way they use tooktooks cos they don't hv money to buy sport cars ..... or 4x4's it's not good to use filth to shout at other but see the supporters who help the riders they want to see there boy win it for them thets why they follow him up and the margin of error is not there for them cos they r not using motors to drive them 4 victory it's there own strenth and imaging if u block the momentom of a rider he has to start again from 0 and accerlarate and for a guy who crossed many miles it's so hard and he wil get easyly prevoked u guys get pissed of cos ur blocked on the road imagine how much they wil get pissed off if u block them when they were almost close to the winning post i kw there should be better cordination among the orgernizers and the local police to make a better traffic plan so every one gets the best out of the main roads

my openion is all this should be better planed and as we do the races must be held in normal roads not the main road .....

Sorry to disappoint, but we were just driving along and didn't even see the lorry carrying about 10 guys in the back that suddenly overtook threw that at us. Besides any other consideration, it means a sudden, unexpected loss of vision of the road, which is dangerous to anyone driving. I don't give a rats ass about your "poor man" attitude when trying to excuse that kinda behavior. Like I said, we were just driving along, but even if we had been blocking them off or not giving room or whatever you are insinuating, it is NO EXCUSE for that kinda behavior. Thats just the jealousy of people who are doing better than them and are going around in a car. Also, before you ask people to move aside, you'd better consider a couple more factors. Is there room to move aside on the road? We don't have highways with run-off areas to pull aside on. Also, what about the condition of the people in the car. What if they are also on a long journey and they also want the end it as soon as possible and just get some rest? We had been traveling more than three hours when said incident happened.

You think that "privileged" folk should make way for "common" folk or be the bad guy in the story? Sorry man, go try that else where. There is no "privileged" and "common" thing going in in this scenario. Just ordinary people. One group decent folk, one group thugs looking to intimidate and act destructively. People taking part in bike/foot races aren't doing that because that is their primary mode of transport, its because thats where they want to compete. For all you know, they have a bigger, better vehicle in their garages back home!

Its just simple as this Roads are build to drive not to race, do we ever have Track Racing events in Main roads ? ' Maha Awurudu Motor Ratha Davana Tharagaya, Dehiwela sita Maharagama Dakwa" ? we only drive on roads and why we give room for these Cyclists ? if they want to race just like Car Racing go and find somekind of a Track,

Guess what hapend if a minister's vehices go on main roads when these Cycle Race hapend, Can the Tuk Tuk guys talk to the ministers in filth and say to move the vehicles ? u end up with Lods of T56 Bullet Holes in ur body,

Edited by GihanFX

hmm good topic to talk about .... guys as a supporter to this MERRY awrudu races as u all say ya true they (we) use this methords to move the traffic and make our own way to support the race and i kw the language we use is not that good it's utter filth and it's bad but i don't kw u guys had bad experecnces like getting hit by wet flour .... may be u guys pissed them off too ...to do such a race u have to go to the local police station first and get permission first, then they wil give u police bikes and if u guys convince them they wil even give u few cars or jeeps to go with it ... we used to do the bike race from kotte to kurunegala and al the way back to kotte and the main problems we faced were people they never move there cars and give room for the race cos it's held once a year and lots of effort and hard work is there to make it happen and it's rude not to let it pass by by blocking the road with ur ego ..(your four weel drive or ur handy sports car ) and by the way they use tooktooks cos they don't hv money to buy sport cars ..... or 4x4's it's not good to use filth to shout at other but see the supporters who help the riders they want to see there boy win it for them thets why they follow him up and the margin of error is not there for them cos they r not using motors to drive them 4 victory it's there own strenth and imaging if u block the momentom of a rider he has to start again from 0 and accerlarate and for a guy who crossed many miles it's so hard and he wil get easyly prevoked u guys get pissed of cos ur blocked on the road imagine how much they wil get pissed off if u block them when they were almost close to the winning post i kw there should be better cordination among the orgernizers and the local police to make a better traffic plan so every one gets the best out of the main roads

my openion is all this should be better planed and as we do the races must be held in normal roads not the main road .....

:) you were the guy who wanted buy a GTR 35 right. But i guess your comment is pretty good.

Edited by Velocity

:) you were the guy who wanted buy a GTR 35 right. But i guess your comment is pretty good.

do i smell some "weed" here :)

anyways...i'm with Peri and the rest of the gang who's against these morons who take law into their hands during these races...

We do understand and give way to these races etc but these so called "race organizers" also should be considerate to other people who use these roads too.

How can anyone defend people riding mo bikes without helmets not giving a damn about safety and braking all the road rules under the sun just because they have some thugs to save their sorry butts when they get into trouble.

If you look at similar races in other countries they have much more organized way of doing things that doesn't need sports cars and 4x4 to clear the road like "kotte mafia" has mentioned

And one also doesn't need dozens of bikers and trishaw buggers to clear to road by using filth on others...

but then again don't expect any better from somebody who thinks people can drive better under the influence of alcohol and drugs :lol:

ok guys no need to make a big sean .. out of this i was just telling my openion i kw it's not good to do such things and if u take like that drag racing in public roads should be banned too, noice polution (exzos systems which wil blow off the the person standing next to it, placing high quality boom boxes which r like portable disco's,usage of flood lights in normal roads,using horns which can chase away elephants :angry-smiley-048:

the fact is people who hv power and money they abuse it and in srilankan law it clearly says the man who has power and money is the law maker thats how the country is made up <_< what to do gusy at the end of the day we wil be just following the system ... as every one else cos we can't run away from the system .....

ok guys no need to make a big sean .. out of this i was just telling my openion i kw it's not good to do such things and if u take like that drag racing in public roads should be banned too, noice polution (exzos systems which wil blow off the the person standing next to it, placing high quality boom boxes which r like portable disco's,usage of flood lights in normal roads,using horns which can chase away elephants :angry-smiley-048:

the fact is people who hv power and money they abuse it and in srilankan law it clearly says the man who has power and money is the law maker thats how the country is made up <_< what to do gusy at the end of the day we wil be just following the system ... as every one else cos we can't run away from the system .....

Actually Drag Racing on Public roads are baned too, thats why when Drags hapend cops come and strat chasing the cars, BTW Exhaust system and blow off are 2 different things, i think evilmak will agree with with me loud blow off sound can easily scare any one.. lol

and gihan machan by the way don't remind me of motor cades of ministers .... had some few close calls with them .... ..cos we used to tail the motor cades to escape from traffic .... luckyly i'm still here to tel the story :ninja:

do agree with you on most of the things but it's not only the rich guys who make a bad scene...

Most of the thugs and gangsters and mafia fellas are not necessarily rich folks by common definition... And lotsa powerful folks have got robbed, killed, maimed by these so called "poor" folks..

drags are banned in public roads with good reasons, noise pollution issues are also making progress and that's also great...I'm sure within a span of another year or two all us will have to pass a DB test on our exhausts... Emissions too will be controlled etc etc

the issue was not on stuff that are regulated... The issue is in fact some morons behaving like idiots taking law into their hands and sadly even with presence of cops justice always seems to escape these fools... This is not a matter of whose rich and whose poor.. what's wrong is wrong no matter who does it... simple as that...

i think it's idiotic to justify the actions of trishaw fellas and bikers who act like retards in these events by saying they do it cos they can't afford 4x4's and sportscars...

And the only egos that gets in the way of things is of the morons who use the cover of the sporting event sand have a blissful time playing godfather :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Ripper

Sorry to disappoint, but we were just driving along and didn't even see the lorry carrying about 10 guys in the back that suddenly overtook threw that at us. Besides any other consideration, it means a sudden, unexpected loss of vision of the road, which is dangerous to anyone driving. I don't give a rats ass about your "poor man" attitude when trying to excuse that kinda behavior. Like I said, we were just driving along, but even if we had been blocking them off or not giving room or whatever you are insinuating, it is NO EXCUSE for that kinda behavior. Thats just the jealousy of people who are doing better than them and are going around in a car. Also, before you ask people to move aside, you'd better consider a couple more factors. Is there room to move aside on the road? We don't have highways with run-off areas to pull aside on. Also, what about the condition of the people in the car. What if they are also on a long journey and they also want the end it as soon as possible and just get some rest? We had been traveling more than three hours when said incident happened.

You think that "privileged" folk should make way for "common" folk or be the bad guy in the story? Sorry man, go try that else where. There is no "privileged" and "common" thing going in in this scenario. Just ordinary people. One group decent folk, one group thugs looking to intimidate and act destructively. People taking part in bike/foot races aren't doing that because that is their primary mode of transport, its because thats where they want to compete. For all you know, they have a bigger, better vehicle in their garages back home!

Damm right pericles...Duppathage hithawatha bicicle eka thamai..bicycle thiyene aya godak iriisiyai roda hathara thiyena ayata! ane ithin owata api monawa karannada? Karumei thamai. All comes with education...no education no descipline. Thats why we never see a BMW, Honda, Benz, Subaru or any other car going behind escouting these moda choone ayya's.. Simply why? Because they are educated!

yo ripper wheres the fun man rules are ment to broken thats why it's there .... thats why we tune up our cars never stop at red lights,high speed driving on main roads (if theres police we r good as kittens if ur dad is a minister or a big guy in some given field f*** the police too) people like to have a hell of a time by braking the rules we make our own set of rules man ..... but u should respect others too enjoying to the max but knowing ur boundries .... or else if u act like idiots u wil end up in jail or 6 feets under so give respect and u wil get respect :blink:

and as u all kw anything is posiable if u kw how to handle things ... as the late Mr JR jayawardhana said ( in srilanka only thing which is imposiable is making a man a women and a women a man )that was i guess long time ago and even that is now posiable thankz to the doczzz

do what u want man ... go to hell with the public ... if u can afford it and u have money to get out of it if ur in a tight spot who the hell cares about the public :angry-smiley-048: and what they think they r just jelous cos they can't do the same

Damm right pericles...Duppathage hithawatha bicicle eka thamai..bicycle thiyene aya godak iriisiyai roda hathara thiyena ayata! ane ithin owata api monawa karannada? Karumei thamai. All comes with education...no education no descipline. Thats why we never see a BMW, Honda, Benz, Subaru or any other car going behind escouting these moda choone ayya's.. Simply why? Because they are educated!

hey hey malliya don't think all the educated chapes r the greatest .... don't judge a book by it's cover thats what our gramps use to say ....and by the way u can buy all this stuff if u do all the bad things in the world and still in the eyes of u the simple minded they would be like norble men don't make me laugh from my ass .. and by the way if u see the paper lots of over educated chaps r the once who r doing things even u can't speak of rapeing ur own daughter, or stealing the money of the poor by all sorts of ways . ... etc .... don't think cos u got a toyota starlet ...that u are the man .... may be the guy who is selling bread in his own cycle has more moral values than u ...i can see the deapth of ur knowladge by ur quotes ...cos ur responcible for what u say here ... so don't make ur self a ass here by telling all this crap to the society

as a person i never treat another by looking at his bank account i only look who he really is under the skin ... cos these days there r lots of wolfs whereing sheeps skin

as the late Mr JR jayawardhana said ( in srilanka only thing which is imposiable is making a man a women and a women a man )

I think you got the quote slightly wrong. What he said was ‘only thing an executive president can’t do is turn a man into a woman and a woman in to a man’

hey hey malliya don't think all the educated chapes r the greatest .... don't judge a book by it's cover thats what our gramps use to say ....and by the way u can buy all this stuff if u do all the bad things in the world and still in the eyes of u the simple minded they would be like norble men don't make me laugh from my ass .. and by the way if u see the paper lots of over educated chaps r the once who r doing things even u can't speak of rapeing ur own daughter, or stealing the money of the poor by all sorts of ways

Out of all the posts you’ve contributed in this forum I think this is the only one that actually make sense.

World of advice my friend, you sound like a bit of a free spirit but do think twice before you say something because you are in the verge of becoming the butt of all the jokes in this community.

Back to the topic in hand, us fortunate people do lot of crazy things in the name of having a good time. But for some of the less fortunate people supporting their colleague/friend/relative in a race help them to forget about their hardships atleast temporally. So it’s unfair to ban this type of characters as it is part of Sri Lankan generosity but ofcourse they should use some common sense not to hog the road and to treat the fellow man with bit of decency.

Dthese moda choone ayya's..

Thats the best word to describe them machan

yo ripper wheres the fun man rules are ment to broken thats why it's there .... thats why we tune up our cars never stop at red lights,high speed driving on main roads

I never break these Rules other than some high speed driving here and there, and i think most AL members are the same

hey hey malliya don't think all the educated chapes r the greatest .... don't judge a book by it's cover thats what our gramps use to say ....and by the way u can buy all this stuff if u do all the bad things in the world and still in the eyes of u the simple minded they would be like norble men don't make me laugh from my ass .. and by the way if u see the paper lots of over educated chaps r the once who r doing things even u can't speak of rapeing ur own daughter, or stealing the money of the poor by all sorts of ways . ... etc .... don't think cos u got a toyota starlet ...that u are the man .... may be the guy who is selling bread in his own cycle has more moral values than u ...i can see the deapth of ur knowladge by ur quotes ...cos ur responcible for what u say here ... so don't make ur self a ass here by telling all this crap to the society

isnt this personal attack ? btw i dnt know how u laughing form ur back side ? to laugh u need Lips, Teeth, etc, man pls post before taking weed