• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Audio Installation

madjay

Hi Guys,

FIrst of all I'm not a reguler poster here but like this forum very much. You guys are doing a wonderfull job.

BTW I want to replace my car audio system and I already have purchased a head unit from Canada. (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=300&i=130DEHP500&tp=5684)

I want to buy quality speakers and I think Infinity or JBL will do the trick. And I'm gonna put 4" in front doors and 6"x9" in the back. In the first phace Im not going for an external sub or amp but in future hope to do.

I wanna know the availability of these speakers in SL and good place to get those installed and the prices. Any idea pals....? :):unsure:

Thx

[email protected]

Hi Guys,

FIrst of all I'm not a reguler poster here but like this forum very much. You guys are doing a wonderfull job.

BTW I want to replace my car audio system and I already have purchased a head unit from Canada. (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=300&i=130DEHP500&tp=5684)

I want to buy quality speakers and I think Infinity or JBL will do the trick. And I'm gonna put 4" in front doors and 6"x9" in the back. In the first phace Im not going for an external sub or amp but in future hope to do.

I wanna know the availability of these speakers in SL and good place to get those installed and the prices. Any idea pals....? :):unsure:

Thx

[email protected]

hi,

well the best places as u might also know is Pet#o, advance, and even the janith jayasela place in kohuwela, but my guess is by the speakers your self,, if u are a good sound buff then u can do this ur self, because the prices maybe jacked up if u are gonna buy the speakers and install them at the same place.. again this is my assumption... secondly.. what i have noticed is that with pioneer head units its best to go with pionneer speakers as the frequency response is much better.. go for three or two way for both front and back....

Hi Guys,

Thx

[email protected]

i can recommend you two joints... both are decently stocked with supplies... one would be adv*nce au*io in dehiwala and the other is P*tco L*nka.

the latter is bit more pricier and i think both are equally good

infinity kappa's for fronts will set you back about 22k... i didn't even bother to check the 6x9 prices on infinity :lol:

but that price was also few months ago so might've gone up now...

I got alpine 6x9 type R's at the back and i can tell you that they are pretty darn good. defa not as good as infinity but at 12.5-13k it's bloody good...

Anyway you can't go wrong with infinity, jbl, rockford fosgate etc...

Prices greatly depend on the model you're buying and not necessarily the brand itself... for instance infinity reference series fronts will be about 17k as opposed to the kappa series at 22k or so...

call one of the two joints i've told you about and get some specs on prices. It's better for you if you can go there personally, check out what they have and what's in your budget, get back and do some research on those models you liked on the web and then make final call...

hi,

well the best places as u might also know is Pet#o, advance, and even the janith jayasela place in kohuwela, but my guess is by the speakers your self,, if u are a good sound buff then u can do this ur self, because the prices maybe jacked up if u are gonna buy the speakers and install them at the same place.. again this is my assumption... secondly.. what i have noticed is that with pioneer head units its best to go with pionneer speakers as the frequency response is much better.. go for three or two way for both front and back....

Thx for the quick response machan. Im not sure I can do this myself since I think I would have to replace wires also. Normally Im comfortable with electronics but never installed a car stereo. :)

Well... problem with the pioneer speakers is actually they dont handle base like JBL and Infinity (actual manufacturer for both these brands is Harmon Kardon). But I will keep ur advice in mind.

Other thing I heard is Pet#o is way high in price. I just went to Canada for some company works (for 2 months) so money is also a concearn .:P I can buy speakers from Canada but seems those are very high in price. But you can find very good head units from here for low price.

So pals any more advices? :)

hi,

well i don't agree with you on the pioneer head units work better with pioneer speakers argument. completely baseless..

two way-three way story is also good if ya in for a budget setup. none of those component systems can ever match up to a dedicated separate driver IMHO :)

i can recommend you two joints... both are decently stocked with supplies... one would be adv*nce au*io in dehiwala and the other is P*tco L*nka.

the latter is bit more pricier and i think both are equally good

infinity kappa's for fronts will set you back about 22k... i didn't even bother to check the 6x9 prices on infinity :lol:

but that price was also few months ago so might've gone up now...

I got alpine 6x9 type R's at the back and i can tell you that they are pretty darn good. defa not as good as infinity but at 12.5-13k it's bloody good...

Anyway you can't go wrong with infinity, jbl, rockford fosgate etc...

Prices greatly depend on the model you're buying and not necessarily the brand itself... for instance infinity reference series fronts will be about 17k as opposed to the kappa series at 22k or so...

call one of the two joints i've told you about and get some specs on prices. It's better for you if you can go there personally, check out what they have and what's in your budget, get back and do some research on those models you liked on the web and then make final call...

hay thx man. Seems like better to gbuy speakers also from canada. lol. I thought those are cheaper in sl. How abt this? http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...4433&catid=

BTW I called Adv#nce Car Audio by one of my friends in sl and they had told they have JBL 939 (6x9 size) for 13500.00. But I couldnt find any review in the web for JBL 939. :) At least some info abt the model.

well. true i agree the base handling is a little bit on the down side.... but i guess if u go for pionner 3 way fronts, and maybe go all the way for the back.. u will get a nice mixture.. fade it slightly more to ur back speakers.... yeah i agree dont do the instalation ur self if u havent dont it before.. i was just talking about the buying...

Another thing. Some time ago I went to Kaiser street at pettah to buy a mobile and just cheked with the prices of head units and speakers. Believe me... they are bloody cheep there.

mmm... here its 2am pals. Time to sleep. Will chk this thread tomorrow.

hi,

well i don't agree with you on the pioneer head units work better with pioneer speakers argument. completely baseless..

two way-three way story is also good if ya in for a budget setup. none of those component systems can ever match up to a dedicated separate driver IMHO :)

Another thing. Some time ago I went to Kaiser street at pettah to buy a mobile and just cheked with the prices of head units and speakers. Believe me... they are bloody cheep there.

mmm... here its 2am pals. Time to sleep. Will chk this thread tomorrow.

yep...keyzer street is the place where most audio joints buy some of their stuff from... but don't think they have the full range though.

ad*ance doesn't charge for installation when you buy stuff from them so obviously they are keeping a mark up :P

but the good thing is...at least so far is that after sales service is pretty good from an audio joint... not too sure if you get the same from keyzer street if summin were to go wrong

yep...keyzer street is the place where most audio joints buy some of their stuff from... but don't think they have the full range though.

ad*ance doesn't charge for installation when you buy stuff from them so obviously they are keeping a mark up :P

but the good thing is...at least so far is that after sales service is pretty good from an audio joint... not too sure if you get the same from keyzer street if summin were to go wrong

mmm... keyzer doesn't offer any after sales service. It's as same as we buy sth from pettah. :)

BTW thank you very much guys. Now I have an idea of what to do.

mmm... keyzer doesn't offer any after sales service. It's as same as we buy sth from pettah. :)

BTW thank you very much guys. Now I have an idea of what to do.

no probs mate :) hopefully we have given you some help :)

I also got a deh6950 installed recently..now need to get meself some serious bass.

If i were you i'll from there cos i think you get better deals there quite easily...

I've been checking subs on ebay for a while...good deals but the bloody shipping costs are the killer :angry-smiley-048:

no probs mate :) hopefully we have given you some help :)

I also got a deh6950 installed recently..now need to get meself some serious bass.

If i were you i'll from there cos i think you get better deals there quite easily...

I've been checking subs on ebay for a while...good deals but the bloody shipping costs are the killer :angry-smiley-048:

Cool man. How much it cost? Mine cost CAD $204 (inclusive tax). So Rs21560.00.

I'm also thinking of buying from e-bay. But I wonder how long it will take to delever since I'm returning back to SL in 4th of june. Normally they are getting more time than estimated. Other thing is I have to have pay pal account with billing address in canada. Some merchants don't ship to alternate addreses.

Hi Guys,

[email protected]

I hate to break the bad news. But US/Canda FM tuning stops are different to what we have in SL. If you take a look at the specs for the audio system on Crutchfield website you will see "European Tuning" is "No". US/Canada frequencies skip every 0.2 stops where we use a linear tuning.

Edited by madmax

I hate to break the bad news. But US/Canda FM tuning stops are different to what we have in SL. If you take a look at the specs for the audio system on Crutchfield website you will see "European Tuning" is "No". US/Canada frequencies skip every 0.2 stops where we use a linear tuning.

Oh... man. So I wouldnt be able to catch some of our stations right? Damn it...

Oh... man. So I wouldnt be able to catch some of our stations right? Damn it...

Yep. See if you can return it. We share the same frequencies with UK/Middle east/ Singapore. Anyways price difference is not very significant if you buy in the USA/Canada or in SL. You just have to find a dealer that won't ripp you off back home. And sometimes it is cheaper back home since they get stuff from Singapore which is a fast moving market.

Yeah the US / Can frequencies if I remember right only jump in odd no's. Think it was 89.1 .3 .5 ..etc Installed a Panasonic headunit for a friend who had brought it from the states only to have to break the bad news to him. You will be able to catch a few stations but not many. Anyway on the plus side the CD / MP3 will work without an issue and they would give you much better playback quality than the tuner.

Cool man. How much it cost? Mine cost CAD $204 (inclusive tax). So Rs21560.00.

I'm also thinking of buying from e-bay. But I wonder how long it will take to delever since I'm returning back to SL in 4th of june. Normally they are getting more time than estimated. Other thing is I have to have pay pal account with billing address in canada. Some merchants don't ship to alternate addreses.

That price is nothing to wright home about- add the cost of wiring, installation, hastle etc. and your at about the local prices.. plus you maybe able to get a better screen set as well.

Yeah the US / Can frequencies if I remember right only jump in odd no's. Think it was 89.1 .3 .5 ..etc Installed a Panasonic headunit for a friend who had brought it from the states only to have to break the bad news to him. You will be able to catch a few stations but not many. Anyway on the plus side the CD / MP3 will work without an issue and they would give you much better playback quality than the tuner.

:(Cant we enter frequencies manually then? Not using auto tuning. BTW this perticuler model is not avalable in sl as I know. I chk stores some time ago but they hadnt got pioneer head units with USB input.

:(Cant we enter frequencies manually then? Not using auto tuning. BTW this perticuler model is not avalable in sl as I know. I chk stores some time ago but they hadnt got pioneer head units with USB input.

mmmm.... Anyway I'm not into radio that much. But when it comes to news and cricket maches I do nead the radio. BTW I can return this with no problem if I can buy pioneer head unit which got USB input from LK.

And I chked sri lanka radio stations frequencies. :)http://www.asiawaves.net/sri-lanka-radio.htm

Seems like I'm not that unlucky. Stations I prefer (TNL, Light, Yes fm, Sun fm etc... ) do have odd frequencies :) actually seems all the channels have. but the problem is signal strengths in different areas.

And still I'm curious whether I would be able to input frequencies manually.

Wiating for ur guys responses... with thanks in advance. :)

I'm also thinking of buying from e-bay. But I wonder how long it will take to delever since I'm returning back to SL in 4th of june. Normally they are getting

My advice is save the $$ bring them back and cash them to Rs. in the black market for a higher value. You'll get the best return

Manully also the seek increments in two stops. Pretty much anything available in US/Canada is available in SL. Including USB and IPod support. Almost everything on the Singapore websites will be available

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/

My advice is save the $$ bring them back and cash them to Rs. in the black market for a higher value. You'll get the best return

Manully also the seek increments in two stops. Pretty much anything available in US/Canada is available in SL. Including USB and IPod support. Almost everything on the Singapore websites will be available

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/

Is that so? I'll return the head unit to best buy and get my money back. :)

I'll buy one of this then DEH-P6050UB or DEH-P5050UB from Sri lanka.

Thx man. Im counting on ur words then :P

Edited by madjay

Is that so? I'll return the head unit to best buy and get my money back. :)

I'll buy one of this then DEH-P6050UB or DEH-P5050UB from Sri lanka.

Thx man. Im counting on ur words then :P

machang the USB thing is no longer a biggie here. you get that even in the low end of pioneer range...

i think the 7950UB or summin was close to 40k at advance few months back... will be lower in keyzer street joints