• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tappet Noise

chams_mini

Hi guys,,

Share ur ideas on this pls..

Recently i did a tappet adjustment .. It wa done by a good (well known guy for minis)mechanic and with the use of tappet guage..

but still the noise is dare..

Previously it dint have the noise but according to him the tappets were tightaned alot..

Guys Is it so bad for the engine coz this noise is becoming a headache to me..

I dint experience any overheating before eventhough the tappets were tighter..

What is the best solution for this????

Thanks guys..

Mini experts pls advice on this...

Hi guys,,

Recently i did a tappet adjustment .. It wa done by a good (well known guy for minis)mechanic and with the use of tappet guage..

Previously it dint have the noise but according to him the tappets were tightaned alot..

Thanks guys..

what is the car model and make?

Hi guys,,

Thanks guys..

well mate...aint no mini expert but do know a bit about valves etc

firstly you can't and shouldn't "tighten" on valve clearances.... there are set parameters for this gap and you should stick with that...

If your cam shaft is worn/damaged you might not get these clearances right and it might cause some noise and also make the motor run a bit hotter due to valves might not closing properly during combustion stroke and right after that...

Since you seem to noticing the engine heating up after this "tappet tightening" maybe its a good guess to assume that you're timing also might be off...

what was the condition of ya camshaft??? Is the engine timed perfectly?

Maybe somebody else can recommend you another mechanic to get a second opinion from...

good luck :)

Guys,

This used to be one of the most hateful jobs I had to do in my trainee days, there is a formula called the rule of nine for adjusting valve clearances (tappets), that ensures you check and set the clearance or gap at the bottom of the cam as in a Mini the cam is impossible to see. The setting used to be a cold setting, so carry out checks and adjustment only when the engine is cold, i.e. after leaving overnight or at least 5 or 6 hours in the heat of SL I would think. Then set it to the correct gap-sorry I can't remember the settings it's been so long! If it is still noisy start looking at the rockers and carry on dismantling till you find the culprit. Sorry no real help I guess!

Maithri

As Maithri mentioned setting up tappet (valve clearence) is a painful job.

Unfortunately you have to re do it with your Mini guy or with someone else (i recomnd this) :)

Never tolerate Mini tappet noises,will deliver very costly results.

MINIACE