• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed Limits In Sri Lanka?

Saturn

I presume you all have a driving licence!

Dont you need to know the speed limits to pass the test?

No wonder here in the UK Sri Lanka is one of a very few countries whose licence cannot be exchanged for a British one! You have to take lessons and pass the theory and practical test before you get a licence, no I havent heard of a bribe to a driving examiner!

Even a licence from Barbados which have very few cars and traffic can be exchanged for a British one!

I can imagine a former 3 wheeler driver having his first drive here, it'll be worth filming for top gear which incidentally I am watching as I type this!

Maithri.

No sorry! The speed limit questions are omitted off the exam since the morons change it from time to time! :D

Makes a kind of Sri Lankan sense!

Are you not Sri Lankan?

This thread originated due to the ambiguous nature of info pertaining to the speed limits. I think it's a fair question as various cops will tell you various cock and bull stories. Yes they are clowns. As probably are the authorities in charge of setting these limits.

However, It prolly would be best not to assume that ALL sri Lankan sense is flawed. I would believe there are at least a few Sri Lankans on this forum who would not take kindly to being called clowns by an EX-resident who seems to hold carribean islands in better stead than his own.

Edited by Arc Angel

I presume you all have a driving licence!

Dont you need to know the speed limits to pass the test?

No wonder here in the UK Sri Lanka is one of a very few countries whose licence cannot be exchanged for a British one! You have to take lessons and pass the theory and practical test before you get a licence, no I havent heard of a bribe to a driving examiner!

Even a licence from Barbados which have very few cars and traffic can be exchanged for a British one!

I can imagine a former 3 wheeler driver having his first drive here, it'll be worth filming for top gear which incidentally I am watching as I type this!

Maithri.

It might be in the written paper, and like you guess, it doesn't really matter if you can drive or can't. If you want a license, you make an offering to the examiner. Guy like Russ Swift could come here and be all impressive, but he wont get his SL license without the grease.

Anyhoo, I doubt you'll need to shift out over 2nd during the test (I don't think I had to) so displaying knowledge of the speed limits to the examiner isn't on the cards.

Anyhoo, I doubt you'll need to shift out over 2nd during the test (I don't think I had to) so displaying knowledge of the speed limits to the examiner isn't on the cards.

I was told that i was going too fast when i went into around cruising RPM of the 3rd gear of a Toyoto HiAce! Come to think of it now, what they SHOULD be testing is if people can drive SAFE at high speeds rather than test them driving slow... If everyone (on a daily basis) drove at the speeds they drove at their driving test, our vehicles probably wont even NEED a 4th or 5th gear... people are bound to drive fast so might as well, test them at it...

its like promoting abstinence only rather than promoting safe sex..... you cant stop people doing what they're bound to do, might as well, educate them and make sure they do it (it=driving fast) right....

• 4 weeks later...

I was not being un patriotic, far from it,I still speak very good Sinhalese 25 years after leaving SL, carry a Sri Lankan passport and know all the words to the (extended) national anthem, un like some of our expats I meet here who forgot their language after a very short time and attempt to answer my Sinhalese chat with broken English!

I cringe with embarressment when when I talk about the driving standards in SL though! Have no fear I am about to experience it first hand very shortly when I come there.

A little bit of order and following the rules when driving gets everybody to the journey's end faster and with less stress and damage to the car as well!

Pointing out a flaw or a short coming is patriotic duty, not being able to accept critism?????????....

As for the clowns? If the cap fits wear it! No offence meant!

Maithri.