• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed Limits In Sri Lanka?

Saturn

can anyone advise me on the official speed limits in Sri Lanka?

I gather it is around 55 in city, but what about outstation, "highways", etc?

is there a countrywide law or does it depend on location?

As long as I know the maximum speed limit in sl is 70 km, but you can't get this speed in any road as the speed limits are up to the cops... :P

:rolleyes: First of all, I don't feel these Sri Lankan speed limits are arranged and controlled in a proper manner. As an example, you might have driven on the Colombo - Negombo main road (Which passes Peliyagoda, Wattala, Mahabage, Ja-ela, Seeduwa, Katunayaka). If you look sharply on the road sides, you can clearly see so many 50kmph speed limit boards throughout the way. But there are no 70 kmph speed limits and since that road is not running through many cities (the above mentioned cities are the only major and busy ones and apart from those cities the road is not very busy - sometimes even less busier than the parliament road. Therefore there should be some 70kmph speed distances on the way too. But if you concentrate on the 50kmph speed limits shown throughout, it is logically correct to assume the overall speed limit for the whole way from Colombo to Negombo is just 50kmph, as there are no 70kmph signs.

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: But the funny thing is no one cares this and they always drive exceeding this 50kmph limit - sometimes upto 90kmph. Not even a police jeep or police car drives at 50kmph (They are the fastest sometimes...) If you drive to the Katunayake Airport from Colombo at 50kmph, you will reach the Airport in around 2h 30minutes or almost 3hours which means definitely you will miss the flight. He....he.... Guys!!! What im pointing here is Sri Lankan speed limits are not practical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are not set according to the roads. Not reasonable too.... Dont you think??

And other think I point out is, on most of the road sides the speed limit boards are hidden under the trees, covered by bushes or covered with various posters. So who the h*ll can read those??? And this is further terrible when you drive exceeding those speed limits and get caught, as then the policeman would ask "Hey! Didn't you see the speed limit sign board over there??????????????????" :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

Edited by Car Maniac

:rolleyes: First of all, I don't feel these Sri Lankan speed limits are arranged and controlled in a proper manner. As an example, you might have driven on the Colombo - Negombo main road (Which passes Peliyagoda, Wattala, Mahabage, Ja-ela, Seeduwa, Katunayaka). If you look sharply on the road sides, you can clearly see so many 50kmph speed limit boards throughout the way. But there are no 70 kmph speed limits and since that road is not running through many cities (the above mentioned cities are the only major and busy ones and apart from those cities the road is not very busy - sometimes even less busier than the parliament road. Therefore there should be some 70kmph speed distances on the way too. But if you concentrate on the 50kmph speed limits shown throughout, it is logically correct to assume the overall speed limit for the whole way from Colombo to Negombo is just 50kmph, as there are no 70kmph signs.

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: But the funny thing is no one cares this and they always drive exceeding this 50kmph limit - sometimes upto 90kmph. Not even a police jeep or police car drives at 50kmph (They are the fastest sometimes...) If you drive to the Katunayake Airport from Colombo at 50kmph, you will reach the Airport in around 2h 30minutes or almost 3hours which means definitely you will miss the flight. He....he.... Guys!!! What im pointing here is Sri Lankan speed limits are not practical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are not set according to the roads. Not reasonable too.... Dont you think??

And other think I point out is, on most of the road sides the speed limit boards are hidden under the trees, covered by bushes or covered with various posters. So who the h*ll can read those??? And this is further terrible when you drive exceeding those speed limits and get caught, as then the policeman would ask "Hey! Didn't you see the speed limit sign board over there??????????????????" :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

Just tell me my friend how many seconds you take to go from 0-100kmph(0-60mph)...??? :D Be happy with what you have muchung! Soon there will be nothing left of this great nation! I did an airport travel yesterday night and touched 140. Just follow the traffic ..how they react..You can easily avoid speed traps this way. :violent-smiley-030:

I travel on the Colombo - Negombo road daily (in office transport). During the peak hours you are forced to stick to the limit due to the traffic congession. In general no one cares of the what the speed limit is in whatever the road. If you get coped you accept the fine or just bribe the idiots & continue thr journey in the same phase. If the highway speed limit is 70km/h & you stick to it, just imagine if you have to drive at 70km/h on the road from Ratnapura to Nonagama???

56 Kmph in built up areas , towns etc.

72 Kmph else where

How do you define City limits and out side the City?

For Cops, always its City limits and if you ask them how do you define it, they dont know where the city limit begins and where it ends. Specially in Negombo road, they toss different law points at day time and different points at Night.

once i got caught between Godakawela and Pallebedda (Rathanapura - Embilipitiya road) and the area is totally out of city limits and cops said i was 68 and speeding.

For Cops, always its City limits and if you ask them how do you define it, they dont know where the city limit begins and where it ends. Specially in Negombo road, they toss different law points at day time and different points at Night.

once i got caught between Godakawela and Pallebedda (Rathanapura - Embilipitiya road) and the area is totally out of city limits and cops said i was 68 and speeding.

Hope by now you know how things operate in SL. And how cops manipulate laws! So no point arguing with the jokers!

Its always better to drive slow no matter which way you look at it! If you are so keen in breaking the speed law...then my advice is get down and fix your car a COBRA laser detector! Then you are free. :rolleyes: Even I am planning of getting one down from Aussie..

Edited by priya

"Therefore there should be some 70kmph speed distances on the way too. But if you concentrate on the 50kmph speed limits shown throughout, it is logically correct to assume the overall speed limit for the whole way from Colombo to Negombo is just 50kmph, as there are no 70kmph signs. "

look out for the 50 sign with a line crossing it indicating that you are now no longer required to maintain 50 but can go upto 72. I have heard cops having speed traps just before this sign so that any argument the motorist brings can be promptly shot down by just pointing at the sign

Its always better to drive slow no matter which way you look at it! If you are so keen in breaking the speed law...then my advice is get down and fix your car a COBRA laser detector! Then you are free. :rolleyes: Even I am planning of getting one down from Aussie..

Is it illegal to fix laser detectors in vehicles in sri lanka?

One of my friends told me that cops can remove them if they find it. is that true?

how much will it cost in sl rupees?

Edited by Rastima

Godakawela, Pallebedda area is really rural and definetly speed limit should be 70km/hr unless otherwise it is stated. You get a ticket by driving at 68 speed is really absurd.Acutually no use of arguing with idiots because their mad decreesion is the final.

I have touched 120 on that road and thanx for god for no cops on the way. :):)

I have touched 120 on that road and thanx for god for no cops on the way. :):)

Mchan, whatForTHeTalking!!!! you must have had a nice ride then. :yahoo:

Yes machan, no point of arguing, I got caught by Godakawela Cops, they realize that i'm not in to speeding, even my wife is also in front seat and some "Avurudu" stuff in my back seat. :rolleyes:

After so many justifications, they've let me go, which is a good thing. :angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Rastima

Mchan, whatForTHeTalking!!!! you must have had a nice ride then. :yahoo:

Yes machan, no point of arguing, I got caught by Godakawela Cops, they realize that i'm not in to speeding, even my wife is also in front seat and some "Avurudu" stuff in my back seat. :rolleyes:

after so many justifications, they've let me go. I love the stretch..! :angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048:

Yes. You say "Raalahami, mama mei honeymoon yanagamung! and the'll just let you go! :D "But make sure your kid is not around!

Yes. You say "Raalahami, mama mei honeymoon yanagamung! and the'll just let you go! :D "But make sure your kid is not around!

machan Is it illegal to fix laser detectors in vehicles in sri lanka?

One of my friends told me that cops can remove them if they find it. is that true?

Machan he couldn't say like that because speed was only 68 km/hr. :D:D

hey its illegal,there are to types of detectors one type is just warning us,but other type is react with police speed meters when it detected a signal from police speed meter and it retuning signal back with a fault so then pclice come to know about that

hey its illegal,there are to types of detectors one type is just warning us,but other type is react with police speed meters when it detected a signal from police speed meter and it retuning signal back with a fault so then pclice come to know about that

Machan of course i dont need the 2nd one; returning the fault signal back, :violent-smiley-030:

A detector with "Warning" alert would be fine for me. I was looking at Cobra XRS-9485 which is 100$ + shipping.

Hope this unit wont return any signals back to the cops. :ninja:

1)Laser speed gun detector

2)Laser speed gun detector jammer

3)Laser speed gun detector Anti-jammer(Get this :D so you can survive if been jammed neither caught)I think its about Rs:35,000/=

guys those speed limits are also depending on what you are driving

becouse i have faced many times with this problem,as a example one day i was caught when i was driving mini over 115kmph and policeman asked me ise thamuse monawa hithagenada vahane elawanne gedara kiyala hituwada **************************(few of other words im not writing here)and he didnt even let me to talk ,they fined me for two reson 1.adikawegayen riyapadawima 2.awadanam lesa riyapadawima(becouse i drove 4 sri mini cooper its old car to those policemen)

few days later again i was caught at same place same policeman speed is 121kmph but that time i was driving a montro i could remenber them but they couldnt however i wondered about there respond - 121i speed eka,wadie neda i told them that im in hurry and im late i need to go soon so do what ever you want and let me go so they told ok kamak na ehenam sir yanna eth haiyen yanda epa prissamen yanna,so i speed up and went away

1)Laser speed gun detector

2)Laser speed gun detector jammer

3)Laser speed gun detector Anti-jammer(Get this :D so you can survive if been jammed neither caught)I think its about Rs:35,000/=

yes priya those are correct but when you are buying such a thing be careful becouse some of them are not working with our police speed gun

better to ask from expert

i used laterst model it called postoffice 1100 when i fined all i have to do is take a fine paper to post office and pay them Rs1100 and take repcite and go back to police station and produce it to them then i can have back my DL ha ha haaa

guys those speed limits are also depending on what you are driving

becouse i have faced many times with this problem,as a example one day i was caught when i was driving mini over 115kmph and policeman asked me ise thamuse monawa hithagenada vahane elawanne gedara kiyala hituwada **************************(few of other words im not writing here)and he didnt even let me to talk ,they fined me for two reson 1.adikawegayen riyapadawima 2.awadanam lesa riyapadawima(becouse i drove 4 sri mini cooper its old car to those policemen)

few days later again i was caught at same place same policeman speed is 121kmph but that time i was driving a montro i could remenber them but they couldnt however i wondered about there respond - 121i speed eka,wadie neda i told them that im in hurry and im late i need to go soon so do what ever you want and let me go so they told ok kamak na ehenam sir yanna eth haiyen yanda epa prissamen yanna,so i speed up and went away

So dont drive that Mini!! :angry-smiley-048: just kidding bro!

See, It happens some times, some times it depends on the mood of the perticular cop. some time he may have missed his lunch or something. I have released couple of times even i was 100 at Rathnapura.

Better avoid speeding in those kind of cities and its good for our pockets. for my experience, Cops has their own way of telling things. Hard to please!! <_<

Edited by Rastima

i used laterst model it called postoffice 1100 when i fined all i have to do is take a fine paper to post office and pay them Rs1100 and take repcite and go back to police station and produce it to them then i can have back my DL ha ha haaa

heheeeee!!! good one Magnom! :lol:

I presume you all have a driving licence!

Dont you need to know the speed limits to pass the test?

No wonder here in the UK Sri Lanka is one of a very few countries whose licence cannot be exchanged for a British one! You have to take lessons and pass the theory and practical test before you get a licence, no I havent heard of a bribe to a driving examiner!

Even a licence from Barbados which have very few cars and traffic can be exchanged for a British one!

I can imagine a former 3 wheeler driver having his first drive here, it'll be worth filming for top gear which incidentally I am watching as I type this!

Maithri.