• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kelly Blue Book, Local Version?

Saturn

Question

Anyone know of an easy way to find recommended pricing for a car?

I do know 'desilva' values cars but their valuations dont seem realistic

is there any chance autolanka admins would consider pooling together data and coming up with some rough price guides for popular cars?

personally I'm helping a friend get a car and I have no clue on whats a good price because 'asking' prices are so absurd and far fetched :(

11 answers to this question

Anyone know of an easy way to find recommended pricing for a car?

I do know 'desilva' values cars but their valuations dont seem realistic

is there any chance autolanka admins would consider pooling together data and coming up with some rough price guides for popular cars?

personally I'm helping a friend get a car and I have no clue on whats a good price because 'asking' prices are so absurd and far fetched :(

Isnt there a magazine in SL with a used car price guide?

Saturn

What do you mean by not realistic??? I am planning to go for a new car (registered) so I would need some financing from a bank and they have specified De S**** that’s why I ask this

The mags' kinda off on some models too... What exactly is the issue with De silva machan?

i dont think a database or list can help in a sri lankan context that much... what one can give is a approximate price range. After all once a car has passed the 5 year mark, its value will range a LOT depending on ow it was used and who used it. So you probably wont get anything closer than apprice range of +/- 50,000 to a 100,000...

And even the newer cars vary a LOT depending on its trim level and class/grade (as i learned in the Corolla thread :D )..... So what you could do is post the make-model that you're looking for or the price range you are searching in and the guys should be able to help you to a great extent...

what to do :(

de silva is OK but don't they value a bit more than the typical selling price of the vehicle?

I would consider taking a vehicle I buy there but then since they value 'more' won't the vehicle owner try to increase price?

any advice or suggestions wouldbe appreciated.

Saturn

What do you mean by not realistic??? I am planning to go for a new car (registered) so I would need some financing from a bank and they have specified De S**** that’s why I ask this

from what i saw, de silva's valuations are a bit higher (say 10% - 15% more) than typical sale price. This is just my personal observation. its ok if you want to finance/insure but not much help to a buyer IMO

what do you guys think?

Though every bank asks you to get the valuation report from DSM, I don’t think they do a good job. I must tell that they are very rude since they almost have the monopoly in the category, don’t really care abt the customers.

They’re ok with valuing standard cars like Corollas, Nissan FB’s or N’s or any other standard versions. But when it comes to other rare versions and other brands (BMW’s, Subaru’s….) they’re not good with their valuations. They don’t test drive a vehicle to see the condition), & if the car is more than 5 years old they de value it so much. I have seen some valuation reports with very high values for cars not older than 5 years though they’re hacked. And very much lower valuations on very well maintained older cars.

Generally DSM often overvalues vehicles and sometimes undervalues them. No real standard or guideline.

There’s another place in Col 15 which does a good job, but bit far from the Colombo centre. That place is also recognized by banks.