• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Heating

fuzzo

i drove to kandy this week and i experienced some heating on kadugannawa. the temp rose about 3/4 the way up. this is the first time i have ever had any heating issues. i pulled over and immediately the temp went back to normal.

car had 5 people of average sizes. so it's not a wieght issue. i checked all the fluids before i started. everything was fine.

do you think it's a freak thing?

i drove to kandy this week and i experienced some heating on kadugannawa. the temp rose about 3/4 the way up. this is the first time i have ever had any heating issues. i pulled over and immediately the temp went back to normal.

car had 5 people of average sizes. so it's not a wieght issue. i checked all the fluids before i started. everything was fine.

is it diesel? did u check the water level when u reach kandy? how was the temp when u were coming back?

Hi Fuzzo

What is your car? How old is it? This info would help in trying to be more specific.

Assuming that there was sufficient coolent (not just water) and that there was nothing to block the air flow through the front grill, I would suggest that you have your radiator and cooling system checked. A pressure test will indicate any faults in the system. Even a worn out radiator cap could cause overheating.

Also sometimes, runnig the A/C and being on a wrong gear exerts undue strain on the engine. Especially when climbing. This could also lead to overheating.

When climbing hills, extra demand in placed on the engine than during normal driving conditions. At times like this the cooling system has to be working as efficiently as it should to absorb all the heat generated by the engine.

I once had a similar experience with my 4x4 when doing some thick sand driving. Never had the problem taken place before. Later it was discovered that the A/C compressor bearing was worn out and with the A/C running tighter than usual, undue load was exerted on the engine in addition to the engine having to work hard to overcome the thick sand.

Cheers

In addition to what has already been said above, have your thermostat checked out, it might not be opening fully.

HTH

yeh this could be a big issue if the car u r talking about is diesel.. fuzzo have u done any repair lately on the thermostat? when u r coming back from kandy was the temp below normal? if so i think u should check the thermostat.

yeh this could be a big issue if the car u r talking about is diesel.. fuzzo have u done any repair lately on the thermostat? when u r coming back from kandy was the temp below normal? if so i think u should check the thermostat.

Check whether the cooling fans are functioning properly.. :action-smiley-060:

my car is a 99 mazda familia... petrol... the temp when coming back was normal. no issues. only when going uphill did the temperature go up.

and no repairs have been done on the thermostat recently. must get it checked out. any recommended places.i dont' want to take it to the agents coz they are just useless.

You could try changing it yourself, its pretty simple, but first find out the location of the thermostat. If its at the front of the engine block, then its just a case of removing a few bolts. But make sure the engine has cooled down before you attempt to do any work on it.

HTH