• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw E30 316 Need Advice

dinosh

Hi Guys

Need some advise on below points of the E30 '89 model 316 manual transmission

1. Want know the type of the oil that needs to be used for the manual gear box (the gearbox is a Getrag 240)??

2. I feel a hum from the back end of the car while reaching about 3000rpm. Its more noticeable in the 4th gear. Is it the bearings which is the culprit??

Await for your replies. thanks!

1. Regular Gearbox oil should do- up to you if you want to use synthetic though.

2. Hum could be the bearings...but also could be the rear diff. How long has it been since the last diff oil change?

Edited by gunat

I had a doubt on the gear oil since some models have used the ATF.

On the 2nd point - I do not have the records on when the previous owner had done the diff oil change. Any specific oil to be used which i could give a try??

Hi,

Be ware what gear oil you use here, I seem to remember some models using ATF and some using even engine oil!Check on the web-Comma, Valvoline, Etc have on line specifications for oil. The noise from the rear can be anything from a wheel bearing to a drive shaft joint to the rear diff itself which is a weak point on these cars, oil leak from the front penion seal will lower the oil level sufficiently to run the front penion beaing dry,causing rapid wear. Some here resort to over filling the rear axle oil level so if a leak started you might notice it before desaster strikes!

Maithri