• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

90 Oct Vs 95 Oct

Rastima

If I'm not mistaken lowest grade, rather standard grade available in UK is 95 & higher option is 98 where in SL we have 3 options 90/93/95.

BTW how do we know it's really 95? I'm sure there are strict regs to prevent any wrong doings by filling station owners but...

I trust Laugfs @ Kandy & I almost always fill up from there.

93? Are you refering to the branded petrol the IOC is selling?

AFAIK IOC does purchase a certain amount of fuel from CPC. just like laugh does with LPG

CPC only refine a very small quantity. majority is imported directly as petrol or diesel not crude oil

about half the bowsers that bare the CPC logo and colours are not owned by CPC but hired from a 3rd party

My Simple question is which petrol is good. IOC or Ceypetco? (I am not talking about laughs as its not widely available in the country)

When i said Good means the additives....

Not those mistakes or faults like water in petrol. Cos this doesn't happen all the time and in all the stations.

The only 93oct available to buy in SL is the IOC Xtra Premium machan. Rs123 Per Litre. I use this and good as 95.

Well they don't specify this is 93 right? In the net I found out that the same brand they sell in india is supposed to be 91 octane. Are you sure its 93 octane here?

Well they don't specify this is 93 right? In the net I found out that the same brand they sell in india is supposed to be 91 octane. Are you sure its 93 octane here?

Oooops...my bad. I have been digging my head to find out how did I get to know that the Xtra Premium is 93oct. Sorry machan I can't remember but I think some body have told me and I never checked it with some reliable source. So you may be right. Sorry for the misinformation.

Oooops...my bad. I have been digging my head to find out how did I get to know that the Xtra Premium is 93oct. Sorry machan I can't remember but I think some body have told me and I never checked it with some reliable source. So you may be right. Sorry for the misinformation.

Actually it's 91 Octain fuel with some additives included. Petrol Pumper guys at IOC tell the customers that it boosts the Octain to about 93... but it that is true they can simply sell it as 93 octain fuel.

I Used it for about a month (3 full tanks) and at first I felt that there was no difference cause the car pulled just as well as on 95, but the economy dropped from 9.5 to about 8 km/l consistently.

When I switched back to 95 the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the engine ran (Nissan QG15 Lean Burn Engine) and the economy went back to the old normal levels.

So for me it was an experiment that didn't work out ......

Actually it's 91 Octain fuel with some additives included. Petrol Pumper guys at IOC tell the customers that it boosts the Octain to about 93... but it that is true they can simply sell it as 93 octain fuel.

I Used it for about a month (3 full tanks) and at first I felt that there was no difference cause the car pulled just as well as on 95, but the economy dropped from 9.5 to about 8 km/l consistently.

When I switched back to 95 the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the engine ran (Nissan QG15 Lean Burn Engine) and the economy went back to the old normal levels.

So for me it was an experiment that didn't work out ......

I am running with my second full tank of Xtra Premium machan. Perfomance wise no difference but me too feel like there is a drop on the mileage so next fill up deffa with 95 again. Thanks for the share.

i never had much experieance with 90 but theres a onething we tested with few cars, 95+Toluene(15:1), that really works, more power and engine runs very smooth

Does using Toluene as an octane booster have any negative effects? It supposedly(according to Wiki) damages rubber fuel lines and causes excessive wear to petrol pumps and the upper cylinders.

Where and in what form would you source it in Colombo?

Cheers

alrite guys! higher octane petrol only makes sense in high compression engines. the higher the octane rating the harder it is to burn i.e. the more you can compress it without any knocking. however this being a proper motoring audience i'm sure most of you are aware of the fact.

but... before you try to justify the cheaper 90 octane is just as better on low tech engines let me remind you that on this part of the world, as maersk said, the lowest grade we can find is 95. so all cars run on 95 octane without any hesitation.

which makes me think this debate about 90 vs 95 is a big palaver.

however my point is fill up your car with 95 if you are feeling generous. and see what sort of difference it makes. if there is absolutely no difference just go with the cheap stuff.

if on the other hand you drive a big expensive car that requires you to fill it up with premium gasoline and you feel a bit thrifty try 90. i doubt it'll make any difference (but dont try it on engines equipped with direct injection. for long term use that is). so just go with the one that your car's most happy with :)

however please do try to find the right stuff from a trustworthy place. any chance we can subject them to a test to see wuts wut?

or does anybody know who sells the right stuff?

Does using Toluene as an octane booster have any negative effects? It supposedly(according to Wiki) damages rubber fuel lines and causes excessive wear to petrol pumps and the upper cylinders.

Where and in what form would you source it in Colombo?

Cheers

the mixture needs to be perfect, also i heard mixing Toluene with fuel dosent do any different to normal cars, in modified cars the pump presure is 255, and still i didnt heard any damaged ruber fuel lines cars runing Toluene in SL, you can buy Toluene from pettah any chemical store, 1 galon is 1000 Rs

Just to share..Using 95OCT on both the cars i run..Dads pumps 90 altho (2 his Carina - that is), he said once after pumping 95 that there was a difference :) hmmm..i have no option for one car, but for de other, de newer..i feel too sorry to pump 90..

hmmm dunno, Well said JadeyBlitzen about the higher OCT for higher compression engines, i READ it so many times, but ppl say 95OCT returns if fuel figures for its price :) whos with me? it returned 11.6 in colombo driving with traffic in the newer one, thats a LOT compared to other, but then again, it has its own up's and downs..

:)

Edited by Kim

i'm running 90 octane at the moment on 10.5:1 compression. i get about 11km/l around colombo. i sticked to 90 cos the manufactuer has specified standard gasoline for the car. but i just realised standard is 95 in japan. so i'm going to pump the good stuff next time. i'll let you guys know how it goes (provided it really is 95 and not 90 sold for a higher price). i'm expecting a noticeable difference.

They also say it has got Friction Buster and some detergent things which keeps the engine cleaner.

the mixture needs to be perfect, also i heard mixing Toluene with fuel dosent do any different to normal cars, in modified cars the pump presure is 255, and still i didnt heard any damaged ruber fuel lines cars runing Toluene in SL, you can buy Toluene from pettah any chemical store, 1 galon is 1000 Rs

Hi Gihan, thanx much for the feedback :grinning-smiley-003: What octane number do you aim for with the 15:1 mixture? Also when you say "modified cars" do you mean those that originally required standard(say 90 octane) fuel, which have been "modified" to where they now require a higher compression(say 98 octane) fuel? I assume if a car runs higher compression(again say 98 octane) as factory-standard, then the addition of Toluene should still help? What would the ideal mix ratio be to achieve a true octane rating of 98, using our 95 octane fuel (bearing in mind this is probably lower in reality) as a base?

Cheers

Hi Gihan, thanx much for the feedback :grinning-smiley-003: What octane number do you aim for with the 15:1 mixture? Also when you say "modified cars" do you mean those that originally required standard(say 90 octane) fuel, which have been "modified" to where they now require a higher compression(say 98 octane) fuel? I assume if a car runs higher compression(again say 98 octane) as factory-standard, then the addition of Toluene should still help? What would the ideal mix ratio be to achieve a true octane rating of 98, using our 95 octane fuel (bearing in mind this is probably lower in reality) as a base?

Cheers

sorry for the late reply, many people do different calculations, we dont know the actual octane rate of Sri Lanka 95 oct, so we do the calculations tkinking the octane rate is 92, even they sell as 95

these are the calculations we use to mix ( Toulene=114 octane)

10%...94.2 Octane

20%...96.4 Octane

30%...98.6 Octane

For a high compression engine to run on low octane fuel, the engine management system will need to retard the ignition timing to prevent preignition or pinging. Retarding the ignition timing means that the firing of the spark plug is delayed until a later moment in the compression stroke. It does not take much to see that a later onset of combustion means that the combustion is less complete, which in turn mean less power and poorer fuel economy. It is possible that the casual driver will still come out ahead in terms of saving money by using low octane fuel, but the retarded ignition advance also means a rougher running engine and a much duller throttle response. Thus octane boosting is not necessarily of interest to all motorists but rather the enthusiasts.

For turbocharged or supercharged engines, insufficient octane will also lead the engine management system to curtail the amount of boost which in turn defeats the purpose of these engines.