• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

90 Oct Vs 95 Oct

Rastima

Guys,

Finally we are at "100". :jumping-smiley-013:

Currently I pump 90Oct petrol and what if i switch to 95Oct getting the advantage of the fuel prize drop? :mellow:

1) Will it be harmful for the vehicle if I switch to 95 at this point?

2) People says that the 95Oct give a better run (milage) than the 90Oct, is that a true statement or it just depend on the vehicle?

I just thuoght of getting expert comments on this.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Guys,

Finally we are at "100". :jumping-smiley-013:

Currently I pump 90Oct petrol and what if i switch to 95Oct getting the advantage of the fuel prize drop? :mellow:

1) Will it be harmful for the vehicle if I switch to 95 at this point?

2) People says that the 95Oct give a better run (milage) than the 90Oct, is that a true statement or it just depend on the vehicle?

I just thuoght of getting expert comments on this.

:rolleyes:

it really depends on what your car was designed for. The higher the compression ratio, the more chance of detonation and you need to increase the octane value to prevent this premature combustion. If you put a lower than spec octane then you take a chance of detonation in the cylinders and if you put a higher than spec octane then (depending on the tolerances) you're either getting no added benefit or causing slower than ideal combustion. IMO, save the extra money and use it on other recommended maintenance and the car will run better

Edited by dhp

but I think this topic has been discussed at length before.

Sorry if i reposted the same question. I searched but couldnt find the right answer so far. thats why i posted it. :rolleyes:

But please post your answers!! that would be really apreciated.

You can always change to 95Octane without any problem and NO, it would not harm the engine or any component of the car. I cant really comment on the fuel comsumption but you would notice some increase in low range torque. This is purely based on my personal experience, so i am not sure whether you might experience this in all cars.

Since it doesnt damage anything, why dont you give it a shot and see what changes it makes to your car, both in performance and fuel efficiency? :)

whats your car anyway machan?

EDIT: Before you shift to 95 make sure that you run the car nearly to empty, otherwise the results would be mixed..and with 95 octane fuel in, give it atleast 100kms before you make any judgement about the 95 fuel.

Edited by GearHead

You should you the correct octane grade fuel specified for your engine by the maker & I’m sure it’s 95 octane for your car. It should be in the owner’s manual but problem is it’s very unlikely to have an English owner’s hand book for a Japan used car.

FYI my previous Ford Mondeo had a Fuel octane adjustment procedure in case if it should occur that you refuel in an emergency with a lower octane fuel rating than is specified 95 octane. This allows the lower grade fuel to be used instead of 95 octane by automatically retarding the ignition timing. This is strictly for emergency use & should change back to correct grade fuel ASAP.

Some Indian made care engines are design for 90 octane & there’s no point pumping higher grade duel for such cars.

You might need to retune your engine for 95 for optimum results.

I always use 95 octane & not sure about the mileage but certainly the performance is much better with 95 than 90.

I recently noticed 93 octane grade also available at IOC filling stations. Any comments from experts..?

news is that it wont be hundred...

government is going to go against the SC ruling...

on 95...

i've always pumped 95 whenever it was available...even for the bikes :)

just personal preference of liking the higher number over the other :lol:

news is that it wont be hundred...

government is going to go against the SC ruling...

on 95...

i've always pumped 95 whenever it was available...even for the bikes :)

just personal preference of liking the higher number over the other :lol:

I do pump 95 octane to my bike cause in the manual it asks for 92 octane or higher fuel. As far as I know the octane rating of fuel you need depends on your engines compression ratio.

really?? :huh:

details please??

Was driving a Familia cross country. Known problems with spitting engine, but was always filled at the IOC shed near SBC. After changing this, its stopped. This car is normally run on 90. Filled it up before setting off from Laughs Kohuwela (95), it behaved beautifully all the way to Tissa and on to Bandarawela. Banda to Nuwara Eliya, running low so filled up at an IOC shed (90, all that was there). From then on, had problems with the engine spitting. It mostly happened when climbing or applying power, idle or cruising it was fine. Overtaking was a bit dicey with power delivery getting interrupted. It also seemed to settle down when we got down to the lower altitude and warmer climes, so I'm not too sure exactly what it was .... but I can pinpoint the start to that fill up outside Nuwara Eliya. Have to check and see what the situ is it must be still running on that tankful.

Hmmmm strangely I've noticed that my car does the same thing on 90........... that aside I found the car does better economy wise on 90 than 95. :unsure: yeah I know its wierd but anyway.......... :rolleyes:

Thought it was just a small miss....but now I'm a bit worried. Not on all the time tho. Just once in a while.

After this I'm seriously wondering if 95 be the way to go...............considering thats whats recommended even

on the fuel cap lid.

BTW I drive a 2000 model 323

Edited by SHAI

Was driving a Familia cross country. Known problems with spitting engine, but was always filled at the IOC shed near SBC. After changing this, its stopped. This car is normally run on 90. Filled it up before setting off from Laughs Kohuwela (95), it behaved beautifully all the way to Tissa and on to Bandarawela. Banda to Nuwara Eliya, running low so filled up at an IOC shed (90, all that was there). From then on, had problems with the engine spitting. It mostly happened when climbing or applying power, idle or cruising it was fine. Overtaking was a bit dicey with power delivery getting interrupted. It also seemed to settle down when we got down to the lower altitude and warmer climes, so I'm not too sure exactly what it was .... but I can pinpoint the start to that fill up outside Nuwara Eliya. Have to check and see what the situ is it must be still running on that tankful.

hmmm it sounds like its more about 90 vs 95 than IOC's fuel quality not being good ne machan? :unsure:

Guys

I can't see how a higher octane petrol can damage a car.most 90's cars running on Un Leaded petrol are set to perform on 92 to 95 octane for optimum performance.

There is more chance of detonation related damage when using 90 octane on a car that's Ecu is optimised for 92 or 95 octane. Rarely have I seen a recent car that needs any tweaking before using a lower octane fuel, that's due to knock sensors fitted to the engine that tells the ECU when detonation happens and it taking action to stop that.

How ever most of these cars will see an improvement in performance and smmothe idle etc when using 98 octane Super Un Leaded as we call it in the UK.

With better performance comes better economy if your driving style remains un changed.

To me if your car is designed to run on 92 octane minimum you should use that as the lowest octane number to use regularly.

Use the best you can afford if it is available. SL motorist think nothing of spending money on "servicing" every 3000Km's, when most cars have a service interval around 4 times that, so why not buy the best quality petrol too!

Maithri.

If I'm not mistaken lowest grade, rather standard grade available in UK is 95 & higher option is 98 where in SL we have 3 options 90/93/95.

BTW how do we know it's really 95? I'm sure there are strict regs to prevent any wrong doings by filling station owners but...

I trust Laugfs @ Kandy & I almost always fill up from there.

BTW how do we know it's really 95? I'm sure there are strict regs to prevent any wrong doings by filling station owners but...

yeah this is something i've always wondered about - how do we even know that what they're pumping is 90 or 95 - there isn't any way we can test this our selves is there now?? :huh:

• 2 months later...
yeah this is something i've always wondered about - how do we even know that what they're pumping is 90 or 95 - there isn't any way we can test this our selves is there now?? :huh:

Just wondering when a filling station owner delivers a tanker full of 90 into the 95 underground sump and sell....how much will he make?...lol.....

Is that true that both the IOC and Ceypetco are from the same refi? cos I see some one mentioning ona a post some where.

I can'd figure out whether the IOC or Ceypet which is good?

I always pump at Alexandra IOC and noticed last time that a Ceypetco tanker is unloading there.

Just wondering when a filling station owner delivers a tanker full of 90 into the 95 underground sump and sell....how much will he make?...lol.....

Is that true that both the IOC and Ceypetco are from the same refi? cos I see some one mentioning ona a post some where.

I always pump at Alexandra IOC and noticed last time that a Ceypetco tanker is unloading there.

jump

AFAIK IOC does purchase a certain amount of fuel from CPC. just like laugh does with LPG

CPC only refine a very small quantity. majority is imported directly as petrol or diesel not crude oil

about half the bowsers that bare the CPC logo and colours are not owned by CPC but hired from a 3rd party