• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Car Audio System

SeanD

Question

My Nissan's JVC system that came installed with the car saw it's 10 CD changer go bust recently. I gave it to a small place at nawala to check (it's originally from Gilbert, but the warranty is long since over) and they said there is no hope for repair (probably they want to sell me a new one or don't know how to fix it, but it's over 4 years old so I'm not pushing the issue).

Anyway, thought to go a step down and get a head unit that has the CD player located within it. Thing is, I was hoping to get one in USA, but don't know whether those units (like Sony, Pioneer, etc) are not compatible with our local electronics? Is there some voltage difference in cars (like the 120/230v thing for normal electrical items) or would I be able to fit an unit I buy from USA (much cheaper than here) to this car without any significant alterations behind the scenes?

Appreciate any info.

3 answers to this question

My Nissan's JVC system that came installed with the car saw it's 10 CD changer go bust recently. I gave it to a small place at nawala to check (it's originally from Gilbert, but the warranty is long since over) and they said there is no hope for repair (probably they want to sell me a new one or don't know how to fix it, but it's over 4 years old so I'm not pushing the issue).

Anyway, thought to go a step down and get a head unit that has the CD player located within it. Thing is, I was hoping to get one in USA, but don't know whether those units (like Sony, Pioneer, etc) are not compatible with our local electronics? Is there some voltage difference in cars (like the 120/230v thing for normal electrical items) or would I be able to fit an unit I buy from USA (much cheaper than here) to this car without any significant alterations behind the scenes?

Appreciate any info.

To my knowledge, there is no Voltage issue.. 12V is the same world over. I bought a head unit from Circuit City, works fine.

There may be an issue with dimentions where certain vehicles have a slightly bigger pocket.

Apart from the size car audio components are not 'duty free' despite how much duty free allowance you are entitled for. But car audio components that you buy from BIA duty free shops are duty free (Variety is very limited though).