• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Evo Cam Issue!

Evo-Chamal

So recently I noticed a ticking had developed that sounded like valvetrain issues, so I pulled the valve cover off to see what was up and here is what i found:

A chunk of cam lobe about 1cm square was missing from one of the intake lobes of cylinder 2! :sad-smiley-017:

camdamage1.jpg

camdamage2.jpg

camdamage3.jpg

camdamage4.jpg

camdamage5.jpg

Preliminary inspection seemed to indicate that the closing side of the intake cam lobe looked to have been smashed repeatedly as if with valve float. Several of the lobes on the intake sides also showed signs of severe beatings. I thought this was odd since titanium springs and retainers were installed, specifically to prevent valve float, when these more aggressive GSC 272 cams where installed.

I know I've never had the car above 7000rpm so I was concerned as to why the damage had occurred. So I contacted the manager at GSCMotorsports to ask him about the failure. Turns out that my batch of cams was one of their earliest sets for the 4G63t and it has a known manufacturers defect! Incorrect lobe surface hardening :blink:

Well it sucks that nobody told me that until after they had failed!!!! :angry-smiley-005:

Ah well, such is life! We have a saying in the tuning world: "The candle that burns twice as bright, only lasts for half as long."

I'm using this downtime as an excuse to do more stuff to the car heehee! :D

I will post more updates in a little bit!

B)

Edited by Evo-Chamal