• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Obd-i Or Obd-ii

thusithasam

Question

Hi all, I got OBD-II code reader. But is is not link with Toyata TownAce KR42(2002). My one-of friend said Toyta Towanace KR42 still OBD-I. But there is a OBD-II connector under the streeing Colaum.Any one know OBD-II code readeres are working with Toyota TownAce KR42 or is there a any special Scanner for Toyota Vehicles?

Thanks,

Thusitha

Edited by thusithasam

7 answers to this question

Your obd-II code reader may be not supported the CR 42 obd protocol because some different protocols apply for obd scans.First check with your reader specs.But If your cable used for the reader is A obd-II to RS 232 and you are familiar with computers Try to get PCMscan software installed in the Laptop and try to scan If you are interesting with this subject .I heard this software is supporting different protocols and versions.I have never used it though I have installed it in my PC.Sometimes the cable comes with readers are not supported for Laptop serial port.We can find many sources to know connections data in the net.

I am also looking to buy a obd-II to RS232 cable to use with PCMSCAN or Scanguege software's in windows.If anybody knows where to buy this cable please let me know.

They says there are five communication protocols for OBD-II.Sorry I don't know the protocol used in Toyota townace KR42.But if your scan tool support all protocols then the reason must be something else.

I can copy a link which include some method to identify the protocol by looking at the OBD-II connector and think it will be helpful.

http://scantool.imechatronics.com/faq.htm

I sent a e-mail to scan tool Manufacture.The send a mail yesterday. it is below

Our code readers work on 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles sold in the US and Canada. Vehicles sold in other countries, although similar, are not set up the same as the ones sold in the US, and our readers may not be able to link. There are times when our readers will link to vehicles sold outside the US, but there are no guarantees as these vehicles were not regulated until 2001. You can verify if the vehicle is OBD2 compliant by looking at the emission label. This label would be located under the hood, normally in front of the radiator. If the label states OBD2 compliant our readers will be able to connect to the vehicles on board computer. I hope this has answered your question. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail or call one of our ASE Certified Staff Members at 1-800-544-4124. We are available Monday through Friday 5am - 6pm Pacific Time.

any one know wich scan tool or code reader match with Toyota vehicles?

Our code readers work on 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles sold in the US and Canada. Vehicles sold in other countries, although similar, are not set up the same as the ones sold in the US, and our readers may not be able to link. There are times when our readers will link to vehicles sold outside the US, but there are no guarantees as these vehicles were not regulated until 2001. You can verify if the vehicle is OBD2 compliant by looking at the emission label. This label would be located under the hood, normally in front of the radiator. If the label states OBD2 compliant our readers will be able to connect to the vehicles on board computer. I hope this has answered your question. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail or call one of our ASE Certified Staff Members at 1-800-544-4124. We are available Monday through Friday 5am - 6pm Pacific Time.

Mate, some Japanese Domestic Model vehicles (JDMs) do not comply with the normal OBDII. Simply the protocol is different. Sometimes the manufacturer is using their own protocols. (Toyota specially) That's why it is very difficult to find a compatible scan tool.

Read the following thread to get more info.

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...45&hl=obdii

thusithasam,

There is one company in Sri Lanka deals with scantools and I have sent a PM to you with details.You can contact the owner.