• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tips And Tricks To You Use To Avoid Being Copped

Stingray

Question

Hi guys

As of late i see a heightened presence of traffic cops especially in the night. gone are the days were there used to be middle aged cops who just look for "something" , but now you find young traffic cops who are the no nonsense type.

Apart from the usual minor traffic offenses like running a stop light and obstructive parking i guess the most serious offense you can get caught to us drunken driving, not to mention the safety of yourself and others on the road..IF you do get caught it is such a hassle, trust me..my friend went through it and got his license canceled for a year and regretting having that bottoms up!

Fridays and Saturday nights are the worst, they now cover all main intersections and practically seal off certain areas so there is no escape.

I am not encouraging driving under the influence of liquor, however there is something called responsible drinking and you are SURE that you can control the vehicle and reach your destination safe, it is during these times that most people are caught and have to go through the remand and court cases and license cancellation.

I have observed the following ;

1) Weekdays- Mondays to Thursdays and Sunday- safest period to have a quick one and get home safe without any hassle. Hardly any traffic cops on the roads.

2) Take detours along by roads as much as possible, However ultimately it leads to some junctions and the guys know you have to take that route somehow..so they post themselves there.

3) After the session always drive with your shutter down without AC, you have no idea how much your breath circulates within the car! a burp can make it even worse!

4) Have a bottle of Listerine and a deodrant in your car, its quite effective and gets rid of all the bad smells so the gets to smell something nice when he pokes his head in! eating hacks and stuff wont help.

5) If stopped and he suspects you are drunk and he asks you to get down from the vehicle, get out very carfefully, they watch your feet, if you stumble slightly thats the give away.

6) If you are indeed cornered, just speaking to them nicely would always help..unless of course you are connected!

Any other ideas guys? These have worked for me! dont know for how long though!

Hi guys

As of late i see a heightened presence of traffic cops especially in the night. gone are the days were there used to be middle aged cops who just look for "something" , but now you find young traffic cops who are the no nonsense type.

Apart from the usual minor traffic offenses like running a stop light and obstructive parking i guess the most serious offense you can get caught to us drunken driving, not to mention the safety of yourself and others on the road..IF you do get caught it is such a hassle, trust me..my friend went through it and got his license canceled for a year and regretting having that bottoms up!

Fridays and Saturday nights are the worst, they now cover all main intersections and practically seal off certain areas so there is no escape.

I am not encouraging driving under the influence of liquor, however there is something called responsible drinking and you are SURE that you can control the vehicle and reach your destination safe, it is during these times that most people are caught and have to go through the remand and court cases and license cancellation.

I have observed the following ;

1) Weekdays- Mondays to Thursdays and Sunday- safest period to have a quick one and get home safe without any hassle. Hardly any traffic cops on the roads.

2) Take detours along by roads as much as possible, However ultimately it leads to some junctions and the guys know you have to take that route somehow..so they post themselves there.

3) After the session always drive with your shutter down without AC, you have no idea how much your breath circulates within the car! a burp can make it even worse!

4) Have a bottle of Listerine and a deodrant in your car, its quite effective and gets rid of all the bad smells so the gets to smell something nice when he pokes his head in! eating hacks and stuff wont help.

5) If stopped and he suspects you are drunk and he asks you to get down from the vehicle, get out very carfefully, they watch your feet, if you stumble slightly thats the give away.

6) If you are indeed cornered, just speaking to them nicely would always help..unless of course you are connected!

Any other ideas guys? These have worked for me! dont know for how long though!

Take a taxi home.. leave the car at home or at the venue, if you can... always works for me...

After being copped after ONE beer and getting my license suspended for 2 months AND a Rs. 15,000 fine, I ensure I do not drink and drive in the night.

Brilliant piece of information Stingray..! Appreciate it.!

Your post says it all. I've also learnt from a coulple of friends of mine recently, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE..!

I'd like to make a list of sh*t you'll have to go through, if you are caught drunk driving. This is not considering any extreme situations like you've hit someone, and this excluding the obvious ones such as the fines, and licence cancellation etc.

1. Listening to the cop's bs stories, and pretend to be an idiot in front of them.

2. Sitting on the pavement for hours until the cops are done with the checking of other vehicles, and ready to take you to the police staion. (and depending on the place, the environment - not to mention the mosquitoes / garbage etc etc.)

3. Again sitting on the bench inside the police station for hours until the officer comes to write the stuff in the book.

4. Calling your parents / guardian or wife etc, and explaining the situation.

5. If you are put behind bars, living another few hours with the other guys inside it (this might turn interesting as well - dependin on the type of 'room-mates' you'll find inside)

6. Staying awake whole the time without anything to eat.

That was just a quick list. This might become very lengthy if you have spoken to the cops badly, or if you have tried to act smart and failed.

And to avoid all that, the options are.

1. Leave the car at home if you have to drink. (almost impossible)

2. Party till about 4-5 in the morning and hit the road. (6 is the best time)

3. Let your girlfriend / wife drive (cops are usually nice to them)

4. Avoid the obvious points where cops hang out. (use by-roads/small lanes etc. god bless your shocks..!)

Good luck.! Drive safe.!

Hey some brillient Ideas.......

What I do is When I'm passing the areas which cops are I use to go behind a bus or some other vehical.(Kind of trail them) bit closely.It's realy works for me...Then it's easy to pass them with out much notice.

Hey a good one.

Most of these works well & True, as for me I took a break from drinking about an year ago so right now under control.

The reason behind this many cops around is actually the government is using Police as an Income generating mode

for the government.

Department of Police is one of the highest contributors to the government after Obvious departments.

But it goes unnoticed as it appears under Ministry of Justice or Postal - as the fines are collected by them.

There are 400 + courts imaging what they collect each day as fines for various things.

Also, as the fines are high the cops are also in better demand than few bucks in good old days.

So, pls take appropriate steps and happy driving to all.

Edited by Tikiri

mints/mouthwash wont help cos once the alchohol is in the system it'll release vapour as the blood releases CO2s at lungs. so i wouldnt really advice this.

however something that always works for me is drinking before the food is served. not excessively. just to make the people and/or the conversation interesting :D

you'd look sober enough after a couple of hours and food will make it easier.

this won't necessarily work for dance parties when you have to stay high for hours right till the end. so have a designated driver chosen out of your crowd, preferabally a lady like someone else mentioned, or keep enough money for a taxi with you at all times.

either way i think we should be a little less ambigous about this topic here. it shouldnt be about driving under the influence of drugs/alchohol. but rather getting home with no fuss after a couple of pints/shots.

anyways. does anyone know if there's a drunk drive limit in sl? im sure a little alchohol would do no harm.

There should be a limit of alcohol mentioned in the books of law, but all what matters is the smell I guess.

All cops in the road don't have 'brotherlizers' (or whatever it's called - the alcohol meter baloons) with them. I doubt if all the police stations have it. I've heard that those things are really expensive, and what the cops do is that they take the statement of the driver as the proof kind of. So if you don't accept that you are drunk, then you may (that's a big MAY) have a chance of escape, cause they can't put you behind bars just because you smell bad.

But all these arguments don't really work in practical life. So, again, my advise is DON'T DRINK & DRIVE.. (ya I say it again.)

It's kinda fun to walk on the roads in the night too (that is - you leave the car at home, and walk :-)).. (and you may find some 3 wheeler fellows for bargain prices - if you are lucky.)

I disagree with some of the things above.

I've been harassed by police for the deodrant smell being mistaken for alcohol smell (I never have a drop if I'm going to drive). It's really annoying.

Also, suddenly cutting across to the other side of the road when you see police will NOT WORK. That's like an invitation for them to stop you.

Best thing to do is turn your light on inside the car when seeing one, and pull over to THEIR side of the road (I have done this many times- and it works).

However, I can't guarantee that anything is going to work if you're actually over their arbitrary "limit."

I wish they invested in a few digital breathalizers here instead of their stupid baloon $(%t

Also, I've no idea why they insist on YOU getting down from the car when stopped and going to THEM. If you do this in other countries, they'll come at you with guns drawn. Instead, they should let the person sit in the car (in case he tries to make a run for it or worse) and then one of them should move their lazy asses and come to you.

I hate traffic cops.

guess what? yours truly got copped on his way home just now.

the offense is "waradhiyata issara kireema"

i don't know what the hell they mean by that cos i dont know how you can "hariyata" overtake something in the first place. any loopholes on this guys?

Unfortunately it wouldn't have occurred to you at that time to use Jeremy Clarkson's excuse for overtaking "if there was room for me to have overtaken him AT ALL, it means there was room for him to have got out in the first place."

I think really what the issue is that you would've crossed a white line or something. Anyway, I think this time you should go and fight it out at court, if you have the time. Make a note how much traffic there was at the time, weather conditions, etc. You could also say that the person you overtook put signals for you to pass him (I'm not encouraging you to lie in court or anything, but if there's no way he can prove otherwise, you could try this). And of course, you could also say the cop never explained to you what "waradiyata overtake kireema" means. (I've no idea myself but I assume it's something to do with lines or within a certain distance of a bend, junciton, or traffic light).

I think really some of these cops never even turn up for the case, so it could get thrown out and you'll not have to pay as much as the fine, if anything at all. Fight it out if you have the time mate, give em a hard time.

Edited by SeanD

Simply don't drink and drive!

:action-smiley-060:

Simply the best advice there is! A very good friend of mine ended up in a very bad accident because he was drunk and fell asleep behind the wheel. Nobody should take a chance even if you feel that your only moderately drunk. You are risking your own life as well as the lives of everyone else on the roads.

Edited by dinesh_gd2003

guess what? yours truly got copped on his way home just now.

the offense is "waradhiyata issara kireema"

i don't know what the hell they mean by that cos i dont know how you can "hariyata" overtake something in the first place. any loopholes on this guys?

machan only thing i can think of to get served for an offence like that is overtaking from the left...but even this rule would not apply if your driving on one of the one way roads. either that or you did not signal when overtaking...

or don't drink at all just smoke some weed , Skung or hash .... and yo can drive around as much as you want .... and coppers can't really figure out whats in you... :angry-smiley-048:

specially when you slide out from your driving seat with a bottle of cream soda ... :jumping-smiley-013: and a candy bar

2. Party till about 4-5 in the morning and hit the road. (6 is the best time)

I happen to know a guy who did this. He hit not only the road, but a electricity post and a wall....

the dude died on the spot, and left a one year old kid to the helpless wife... :(

just don't drink & drive guys...

I've been driving after drinks for years now, but got caught only twice. On both occasions managed to talk my way out, but had to pay the cop 2,000/- the last time.

I usually drive at around 40km/h when I'm a bit high.

Since last month, I make it a point to drink at home, unless the urge to hit a club somewhere, party till 4AM, come home via Pillawoos.

So far, so good.

Plan 'B' is to drink during the day on weekends... like we did for the MFOC G-2-G. :lol:

I've been driving after drinks for years now, but got caught only twice. On both occasions managed to talk my way out, but had to pay the cop 2,000/- the last time.

and it is people like this that make a rant about Maruti's safety or lack of it. what a joke.

Bugatti i'm not having a go at you. my point is certain people who make such a big deal about the safety features of cars don't seems to hesitate even a bit to revert to not so safe 'stunts' like driving under the influence or speeding.what is the difference between been a lunatic behind a safe car and a gentle driver behind a not so safe car????

and it is people like this that make a rant about Maruti's safety or lack of it. what a joke.

what is the difference between been a lunatic behind a safe car and a gentle driver behind a not so safe car????

if they cross paths, both may never wake up again.. :unsure:

Yes..The Best Advice...!!

yes I also had the experience after couple of drinks. I have been given three chances by god. I just managed to escape after putting all the influnces and realised not to drink and drive.

At last it is a social responsibility.

Now I never drink and drive. If I don't have driver , Most of the time I take taxis for parties other wise my dear wife helps me :)

Caught twise at Duplication road, near the "Stone n String" - managed to escape putting Rs. 500/- (both days) on the same Cop :rolleyes:

Now, got a 1 month old boy and feel more responsible. :D

NO MORE DRINK and DRIVEs at night, but, I changed the time, I go and DRINK at day time (Week ends), No Copes, No Worries - Stay with the family at night.

WIN WIN Case :D

Hows that?..

Hi guys

Yes indeed my post was not about drinking and driving, i never encouraged that and one should not do it either when the alchohol limits off the scale.

Best is not to drink and drive and go through untold agony for yourself and others..plus detoriation in valuable savings by bribing the cops and spending on fines and court cases! just not worth it...

Bugatti i'm not having a go at you. my point is certain people who make such a big deal about the safety features of cars don't seems to hesitate even a bit to revert to not so safe 'stunts' like driving under the influence or speeding.what is the difference between been a lunatic behind a safe car and a gentle driver behind a not so safe car????

Hold on a sec mate.. I think I didn't explain it properly.

Wel, I usually have a beer Fridays after work. A beer doesn't get me, but one beer, and the cops do. One beer is not lethal, but the Breathalyzer can nail you.

If I plan on having a drinking session, then I make it a point not to drive.. or drink in day light ;) I'm well aware of the consequences.

So, there goes.. Having ONE beer, and driving, can still mean you are driving after drinks.... :P

Edited by Bugatti