• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw 7 Series Or Merc S Class

milinda

Which is your favourite BMW 7 Series Or MERC S-Class?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. BMW 7 Series Or MERC S Class

• BMW 7 Series
    • MERC S-Class

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about the new S class. If its that i think its only fair that we wait for the new 7 series.

If its the older model shall go with the mercedes. The BMW is just too big and boring. just think the i-drive in the BMW is cool, thats it.

Ok Guys,

I bet the results would be different to what we had in the poll for 5 series and E class. Please vote for your "Super Saloon"

Much as I'm not a Merc fan, had to go for the S class. New or old the 7 series just doesn't hit you like the 3 or 5. Often ends up looking out of proportion.

Ive seen the new 2006 BMW 7 series. I couldnt belive my eyes. I think it was a 750i. But even though its a gorgeous car I guess I have to choose the Merc, cos its just breathtaking. Its real massive on the road, like a luxurious tank. and plus with the S55 AMG and S65 AMG it totally outpowers the beemer. I dont know if there a amg for the new merc yet. the old one was pretty powerful. 6.0L 604HP V12

From the latest versions..the Merc S class is much better looking that the Beemer....buuuuut...my dream car has always been the 1998 BMW 7 series....its got that class that no other car has been able to match todate...atleast in my humble opinion..... :D

Ok Guys,

I bet the results would be different to what we had in the poll for 5 series and E class. Please vote for your "Super Saloon"

...Went with the BMW simply because "I" thought it had a better response to sudden throttles. Having driven the NEW S and the Existing new 7 in Sri Lanka, the S's pickup i felt was a tad bit on the low side....but the features....oh man AMAZING! :D

.............Just out of curiosity....how come the "Audi W12 L" hasnt been included in this poll? :)

...Went with the BMW simply because "I" thought it had a better response to sudden throttles. Having driven the NEW S and the Existing new 7 in Sri Lanka, the S's pickup i felt was a tad bit on the low side....but the features....oh man AMAZING! :D

.............Just out of curiosity....how come the "Audi W12 L" hasnt been included in this poll? :)

Why particularly the W12 model, you mean the "AUDI A8", well i suppose the BMW and the merc have been the main contenders in the past, and the Audi's reletively have not still caught on in SL as much as the rest of the world. But it's a nice car.

has any of u guys seen the BMW 7 series done by ALPINA, its called the alpina B7, well thats a car u really shoould see, i dont know abt the specs, but from what i heard theres serious mods to the engine,and the interior is also differant from the normal 7 series, but in my opinion its better than any merc ive ever seen..

has any of u guys seen the BMW 7 series done by ALPINA, its called the alpina B7, well thats a car u really shoould see, i dont know abt the specs, but from what i heard theres serious mods to the engine,and the interior is also differant from the normal 7 series, but in my opinion its better than any merc ive ever seen..

Yeah, Alpina does do some crazy stuff with thier BMWs..i loved the old Alpina B5..buit still, when it comes to the 7 series, the present model just looks too bulky. The generation before it was just pure class, and I'd pick it over a S class..

And did someone say the I-Drive is the only cool thing about the 7??? That's THE worst thing BMW ever developed..it just makes doing even the simplest things ridiculously complicated.

But I do agree, given that the current 7 has been around for a while, we should wait to see what comes out next to compare it with the new S.

As for right now, I'd go for the present S over the present 7...that new S65 is just amazing.

Yeah, Alpina does do some crazy stuff with thier BMWs..i loved the old Alpina B5..buit still, when it comes to the 7 series, the present model just looks too bulky. The generation before it was just pure class, and I'd pick it over a S class..

And did someone say the I-Drive is the only cool thing about the 7??? That's THE worst thing BMW ever developed..it just makes doing even the simplest things ridiculously complicated.

But I do agree, given that the current 7 has been around for a while, we should wait to see what comes out next to compare it with the new S.

As for right now, I'd go for the present S over the present 7...that new S65 is just amazing.

Emphasis on "cool", not practical..lol, anyway the new Merc S and the Rolly Royce phantom have followed with the i-drive, the the rolls actually using the BMW i-drive unit?? you tell me why?

Yeah i know how crappy the i-drive works. takes agood couple of minutes to choose between menus.

Alpina B7 stats

E65-Based four door saloon

500bhp, 516 lbs-ft of torque

6-speed SWITCH-TRONIC automatic transmission

0-60mph in 4.8 seconds

Maximum speed 186mph

ALPINA is delighted to announce the UK launch of the exciting B7. The cars offer unrivalled levels of performance and handling and increased levels of interior comfort and exterior styling.

Q. What do you use to get 5 people from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds?

A. Two 911 Turbo’s or one BMW ALPINA B7!..haha

Ive seen the new 2006 BMW 7 series. I couldnt belive my eyes. I think it was a 750i. But even though its a gorgeous car I guess I have to choose the Merc, cos its just breathtaking. Its real massive on the road, like a luxurious tank. and plus with the S55 AMG and S65 AMG it totally outpowers the beemer. I dont know if there a amg for the new merc yet. the old one was pretty powerful. 6.0L 604HP V12

The AMG for the new S-class haven't been released yet, one of my friend is waiting to get one..

I voted for the 7 series.. nd i like the B7 ALpina its totally awesome!

alpinab706017gg.jpg

alpinab706032sk.jpg

buuuuut...my dream car has always been the 1998 BMW 7 series....its got that class that no other car has been able to match todate...atleast in my humble opinion..... :D

I guess you would have enjoyed the film "Transporter"..huh.. :):P

alpinab706017gg.jpg

alpinab706032sk.jpg

wow if this is the new 7 can i take my vote back? :D stunning but y does alpina use the same wheels on all their cars

I dont know if there a amg for the new merc yet. the old one was pretty powerful. 6.0L 604HP V12

yes there is a new S65 AMG

Edited by sharkster

Just to add a point....Out of the new beemers...my eyes always turn towards the 650i (http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/6)....man now that looks awesome.....leaves the new 7 series in the dust me thinks!!!!

PS. Can someone please explain to me what does "Sequential Manual Gearbox" means...the 650i has it and i have no idea what it is....love cars but not much knowledge about technicalities..thanks

Just to add a point....Out of the new beemers...my eyes always turn towards the 650i (http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/6)....man now that looks awesome.....leaves the new 7 series in the dust me thinks!!!!

I agree that, the 6 series is Absolutely Fabulous, (not the convertible for me..), my vote goes to the 6 series compare to the 7series..

Also the 6 series has got the iDrive technology as well..

I agree that, the 6 series is Absolutely Fabulous, (not the convertible for me..), my vote goes to the 6 series compare to the 7series..

Also the 6 series has got the iDrive technology as well..

The i-drive technology comes for all 3,5,6, nd 7 series.

hence, for the 3 series it is an option.

wow if this is the new 7 can i take my vote back? <_< stunning but y does alpina use the same wheels on all their cars

Yeah they do. machan but we are talking about the stock model are we not? If we go for exterior mods we loose the plot. otherwise i'm with u..i'll go for the Beemer my self.

BTW did you know the Mercedes CLK DTM AMG is available for sale? foof..

Yeah they do. machan but we are talking about the stock model are we not? If we go for exterior mods we loose the plot. otherwise i'm with u..i'll go for the Beemer my self.

BTW did you know the Mercedes CLK DTM AMG is available for sale? foof..

yup stock cars but it seems the stock 7 (new version) still looks gud

correction abt the DTM...if i remember rite they sold out a long time ago...only available second hand now <_< if ur lucky enuf to convince an owner to part wit it that is :(

PS. Can someone please explain to me what does "Sequential Manual Gearbox" means...the 650i has it and i have no idea what it is....love cars but not much knowledge about technicalities..thanks

SMG is BMW's version of constant variable transmission or CVT as u wud've seen on newer automatic cars...popularly referred to as tiptronic...givs u the feel of manual shiftin minus the clutch...IMO its for lazy folk :P jk tho it does save time shiftin gears n thus laptime