• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Transmission Do U Prefer??

Cham-X

Stick-Shift or Auto-Shift  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of gearbox do u prefer on ur vehicle?

• Stick-Shift (Manual)
    • Automatic

Vote No 18 for auto.

the new mitsubishi evo X has a similar system, but tis supposed to be dual clutch. and they call this system, dual clutch as far as i know. saw it in a video, similar to a triptonic gear system, but more fast than a manual gear change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EymA2AK1EHU...ted&search=

I think Mitsubishi may also be using the DSG system found in the VWs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mitsubishi may also be using the DSG system found in the VWs.

yea, ur right, but correct me if im wrong, the DSG first came out in 2002 or so. so compared to that, we can assume that mitsubishi might come out with a more similar but a bit more advanced system, thats what i think, just my openion.

I vote automatic because of 2 reasons

1. It’s really painful to drive a manual in traffic

2. I always forget to change gears when my GF is beside me :jumping-smiley-013: (and stick in the middle of the road)

But I personally love to drive manual gears where I have the total control of the car.

yea, ur right, but correct me if im wrong, the DSG first came out in 2002 or so. so compared to that, we can assume that mitsubishi might come out with a more similar but a bit more advanced system, thats what i think, just my openion.

Actually, I was wrong. Wiki reports that Mitsubishi is using a unit developed in-house, called the Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission), which however is similar in concept to the DSG developed by BorgWarner and used by the VW Group.

Edited by KLM

Well those days are long gone.

Well, those days are not completely gone..! most Europeans still prefer manual transmission, I experienced it while in France and Spain.. most of cars I saw were manual, except for the A3.

Even two of my colleagues, 1 French & the other Swedish refuse to drive automatic cars here in SL.

Yes, Bugatti... I am with your point of view. I have observed same in Belgium, Germany, France and Italy. Very rarely I've noticed a auto Japanese car. Virtually, all European cars get manual transmission.

I dont know about the choice in UK.

Automatic transmission seems to be a grandmama's choice in Europe :blink: .

cheers

My findings on DSG.. this is what I saw in the A3..

The DSG all but eliminates the lag inherent in SMTs. The DSG is essentially two 3-speed gearboxes with a pair of clutches. When the driver starts out, transmission #1 is in first gear and transmission #2 is in second. The clutch engages and the car starts out in first.

When it's time to change gears, the DSG uses the clutches to swap transmissions. The #1 transmission immediately shifts to third gear. At the next change the DSG swaps transmissions again, and #2 shifts to fourth.

The DSG's computerized controller calculates the next likely gearchange and shifts the "idle" transmission into that gear. The advantage is the speed of gearchanges: The DSG takes about 8 milliseconds to upshift.

Compare that to the SMT in the Ferrari Enzo, which takes 150 ms to upshift. It's also significantly faster than a human: According to Audi, the A3 runs 0-60 in 6.9 seconds with a 6-speed manual and 6.7 seconds with the 6-speed DSG. Like the SMT, the DSG performs double-clutch downshifts and can skip gears (i.e. downshifting from 6th directly to 4th, 3rd, etc).