• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vic Lost

mudi269

Question

I got a car last week and the VIC of the car has been lost by the previous owner. I got the transfer letters signed by him. But can't put to transfer as VIC is not there. How can i get the VIC back ?

Somebody told me to go to police and put an entry there and then they will give me a reciept, so attach it with the transfer paper, then you'll get the VIC with the transfer. IS it correct ?

11 answers to this question

I got a car last week and the VIC of the car has been lost by the previous owner. I got the transfer letters signed by him. But can't put to transfer as VIC is not there. How can i get the VIC back ?

Somebody told me to go to police and put an entry there and then they will give me a reciept, so attach it with the transfer paper, then you'll get the VIC with the transfer. IS it correct ?

Correct... I had the same issue when I bought my car in 2004. The VIC was lost. Make sure the entry is lodged by the previous owner. You might have to pay a small fee at the RMV. They will issue a new VIC along with the new transfer papers.

Correct... I had the same issue when I bought my car in 2004. The VIC was lost. Make sure the entry is lodged by the previous owner. You might have to pay a small fee at the RMV. They will issue a new VIC along with the new transfer papers.

Thank you for your reply. As he has signed on tranfer papers, if i do lodge the complain on the police and get that reciept, will it be an issue ?

Machang I had the same issue when purchasing my car two years ago....the previous owner lodged the complaint and got the copy of the report for me. I then produced this at the RMV when registering.

The previous owner has to do it giving his details and address.....you can't for obvious reasons.

Yes the previous owner has to lodge the complaint. And did you check whether revenue license is under his name? If not you are in trouble as he is not the registered owner of the car.

Yes the previous owner has to lodge the complaint. And did you check whether revenue license is under his name? If not you are in trouble as he is not the registered owner of the car.

What if the owner is a leasing company and the VIC is lost by the Vehicle User?

What if the owner is a leasing company and the VIC is lost by the Vehicle User?

Then the leasing company has to give a letter stating that the VIC was lost, and the user has to lodge a police complaint. This was the case in my scenario.

Then the leasing company has to give a letter stating that the VIC was lost, and the user has to lodge a police complaint. This was the case in my scenario.

I lost my VIC before I sold my car. since it was registered in my name, I did the police report and paid Rs. 100 some to RMV to apply for a new VIC. took forever to get it. I think it took about over 6 months to get it. by the time I got the VIC the car was sold already! I didnt follow up accotdingly so may be that's why it took so long.

But I sold the car with the receipts and police report I got and the new owner got the new VIC when he transfered to his name.

that was my case.

good luck!

Thanx Guys.

I handed over the docs with transfer papers to RMV. I'm the one who complained to police about lost of VIC. I gave the copy of it as well. Further the pink colour form(which to be filled to get a new VIC) was got signed by the owner. Will it be an issue ?