• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

K & N Filters

overTuned

Am using a K&N cone filter in my EG where it was installed by the time i bought it. I've seen that there is a servicing kit for K&Ns in which there is a liquid for cleaning & a wax in which with a 2000+ price tad in motorc#de. Is that needed?? Will it increase the fuel efficiency or performance?? Some people telling that cleaning the filter with washing powder also enough..is that so?? Guys..am awaiting for ur comments..

cheers!

Edited by overTuned

Am using a K&N cone filter in my EG where it was installed by the time i bought it. I've seen that there is a servicing kit for K&Ns in which there is a liquid for cleaning & a wax in which with a 2000+ price tad in motorc#de. Is that needed?? Will it increase the fuel efficiency or performance?? Some people telling that cleaning the filter with washing powder also enough..is that so?? Guys..am awaiting for ur comments..

cheers!

i used K&N but not good for fuel. so i removed and back to genuine air filter.

cheers!

I think using the cleaning kit is good bcause its recommended by the manufacturer

i used K&N but not good for fuel. so i removed and back to genuine air filter.

I've experienced a boost in performance after switching to K&N. This adds to the urge to push the gas pedal a bit more. The main reason in a drop in fuel economy can be due to that.

cheers!

First, would like to know who was the idiot recommending washing powder to clean a K & N... guess the guy must be rinsing his hair with bleach... :lol:

Remember that the K & N is made of fine cotton gauze, and hence the manufacturer's cleaning specification. It'll be much helpful if you would simply view the following link.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm

K&N air filters have to be cleaned properly with the proper liquids and methods. I clean our filter once in 4 months and it's superb! It increased our fuel economy by a noticeable difference. And it sure helps with low end power as it let's the engine breathe nicely. Most of the usual air filters get blocked within 2-3000 km's and even though the service guys hold high pressure air, it's not enough. A K&N filter with the service kit will come up to about 11500 rs. But when you calculate it overall, with the cost of a normal air filter (for the Vios it's about 2000 rs) it's actually way cheaper. If your fuel economy drops cause of the K&N it's only because the air flow sensor would not be used to recieving such a high amount of air and the ECU wouldn't be used to it. A simple ECU resetting and air flow sensor cleaning will solve the problem.

Edited by virensti

K&N air filters have to be cleaned properly with the proper liquids and methods. I clean our filter once in 4 months and it's superb! It increased our fuel economy by a noticeable difference. And it sure helps with low end power as it let's the engine breathe nicely. Most of the usual air filters get blocked within 2-3000 km's and even though the service guys hold high pressure air, it's not enough. A K&N filter with the service kit will come up to about 11500 rs. But when you calculate it overall, with the cost of a normal air filter (for the Vios it's about 2000 rs) it's actually way cheaper. If your fuel economy drops cause of the K&N it's only because the air flow sensor would not be used to recieving such a high amount of air and the ECU wouldn't be used to it. A simple ECU resetting and air flow sensor cleaning will solve the problem.

+1. I was going to say the same thing. Clean the MAF & reset the ECU.

Yes bro

cause he got fuel economy drop with two high flow filters,his MAF must have been blocked and it would have not read the High airflow causing a drop in fuel conumption

Edited by SpEeD FrEak

Hurricane filters can be cleaned with high pressure air since it doesnt require oil

It is said to wash and dry it and it would be ready to use again.

I think it is more convenient than K&N.....

what are the disadvantages of using it?

I think I've seen one of those filters. you can't exactly call it a filter. When you look at it, you can see right through it. :blink: I highly doubt those actually "filter" the air.

• 2 weeks later...
will it give the same effect as the cone ?

The cone may give better performance. However, you will have to do some modifications which will alter the original condition of the car. The OEM filter also gives good performance improvement. I chose to go for the OEM one.

How much is the cleaning kit?

got it some time ago when i first fitted the filter.. the then guy for k&N in sri lanka was doing the business from home in kirulapone. cant remember the name now. but cost me arlund 2500.. there is a cleanning liquid and the filter oil.