• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Discolouration

megatron

Question

Hey guys! The car Im looking to buy had a discolouration in the engine oil, it was white and brown (muddy looking). When i asked the owner he said it it because it hadnt been started for 2weeks or so. When i started the engine and revved it to 3000 there was excesive smoke from the tail pipe. The car had done just 88k, yr 2000 manu plus an EFI engine., appreciate your comments. Thanks!!

7 answers to this question

Hey guys! The car Im looking to buy had a discolouration in the engine oil, it was white and brown (muddy looking). When i asked the owner he said it it because it hadnt been started for 2weeks or so. When i started the engine and revved it to 3000 there was excesive smoke from the tail pipe. The car had done just 88k, yr 2000 manu plus an EFI engine., appreciate your comments. Thanks!!

It means engine oil contaminated with water. This kind of thing can happen in case of

1. Radiator system leak ( including head gasket engine block crack etc)

2. Prolonged exposure to air. ie, car has not been used for couple of months or oil has not been changed 4 years.

It is not advisable to buy it.

It means engine oil contaminated with water. This kind of thing can happen in case of

1. Radiator system leak ( including head gasket engine block crack etc)

2. Prolonged exposure to air. ie, car has not been used for couple of months or oil has not been changed 4 years.

It is not advisable to buy it.

This is what i was thinking as well. Even for cuple of months or may be a year or so oil can't get discoloured like that unless water or similar thing mixed with it.

And what is the colour of smoke? is it petrol or desel, and what is the model?

thanks guys for the quick response. i was suspecting it was water but had no idea how it got in. its a petrol hyundai elantra. the smoke was not exactly white but greyish...

May be a gas cut leak or a crack in the engine body as earlier mentioned. Don't buy it.

Hi Dude

You got to do Replace Head Gasket definitely with value grinding etc , that is not so expensive but it might have other repairs also with the engine below the engine head,if so that case you will have to be careful because you may need much money , which color smoke do you see ? just put your finger inside the tail pipe and see whether you get oily surface on it ,if so pistons or rings or both will be definitely needed

Thanks

Regards

sumith