• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Buying A Toyota

nadunr

Hello friends,

I am new to this field of automobiles. I am looking for a car around 1 - 1.1M.

The main features I am looking for are,

1. Fuel economy

2. Re-sell value

3. Low maintenance cost

4. Reliability

I dont like Indian cars, I prefer a toyota as it is known and since I am not into this field i think its better to go for the known brand.

I have few options,

1. AE 100 - If I get this will it be possible to get a 300- xxxx model? Has this car got Autogear?

2. Cynos/ Juno or Levin - Can get a more recent one, cos its two door. Again is it a good choice? What is the rough price of a 300-301 model?

3. Ceres or Marino - What is the difference of them, compared to corolla or sprinter? What is the rough price of a 300-301 model?

4. Starlet - EP 82 - Whats are the advantages or disadvantages between a sedan and a hatch?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions.....

If somebody can please advice me..

Thanks a lot... :rolleyes:

Nadun

i assume that ceres, marino, cynos, juno and levin might give you a harder time finding body spares compared to ae100. ae100 is the one that fulfils your criteria best, especially re-sale value and ease of maintenance.

i don't know about current market too much, as i have been out of touch since of late. but a friend of mine is selling his ceres for about 1.2 and please don't ask any information about the seller as it is against forum rules.

the friend with the ceres complaints that it is not a comfortable car, compared to other similar toyota's so i suppose all these other variants of corolla platform that you have mentioned are tuned for sportier purposes.

i assume that ceres, marino, cynos, juno and levin might give you a harder time finding body spares compared to ae100. ae100 is the one that fulfils your criteria best, especially re-sale value and ease of maintenance.

i don't know about current market too much, as i have been out of touch since of late. but a friend of mine is selling his ceres for about 1.2 and please don't ask any information about the seller as it is against forum rules.

the friend with the ceres complaints that it is not a comfortable car, compared to other similar toyota's so i suppose all these other variants of corolla platform that you have mentioned are tuned for sportier purposes.

Thanks a lot..

I made up mind for an AE 100 :rolleyes:

Hello friends,

I am new to this field of automobiles. I am looking for a car around 1 - 1.1M.

The main features I am looking for are,

1. Fuel economy

2. Re-sell value

3. Low maintenance cost

4. Reliability

I dont like Indian cars, I prefer a toyota as it is known and since I am not into this field i think its better to go for the known brand.

I have few options,

1. AE 100 - If I get this will it be possible to get a 300- xxxx model? Has this car got Autogear?

2. Cynos/ Juno or Levin - Can get a more recent one, cos its two door. Again is it a good choice? What is the rough price of a 300-301 model?

3. Ceres or Marino - What is the difference of them, compared to corolla or sprinter? What is the rough price of a 300-301 model?

4. Starlet - EP 82 - Whats are the advantages or disadvantages between a sedan and a hatch?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions.....

If somebody can please advice me..

Thanks a lot... :rolleyes:

Nadun

i was in your shoes a few years ago...

searched all over for many makes and brands...

finally settled for an ae100 for pretty much similar reasons..

I have an AE100 sprinter se limited...mine is manual but you do get auto... I just hate autos and that's just a personal preference :)

Mine in YOM93 and reg is 19-...i have seen the same model with english plates also so 300- should be available...

in my experience...the 19- or the 300- doesn't really reflect the condition of the car. when i was hunting, the 19- one i bought was the best out of so many 300 and 301's i checked up

one of the downsides to owning an older car is that you will get a few repairs to attend to here and there...

in my case...the ECU and the delco failed , had to replace the steering rack bushes cos it sprung a leak, had to replace the ac cooler and most recently the alternator...

other repairs have been usual running repairs like rack ends and stuff...

but the car hasn't let me down to date, not stopped in the middle of the road or even on the side of it :) always brought me home...

does quite well on fuel, parts are available all over the place, easy to flog off if i want to and shockingly...decently speed can be achieved when needed :)

cons would be imo

doesn't look too great, have that old car factor, doesn't have fancy electronics or safety feature like air bags etc

i bought mine for 10.55 about 3 years ago...chances are...prices would have dropped a bit by now

mate there is a good example in the autolanka classifieds now. go for it if the condition is good even at a premium price. cut the crap on number plate. what matters is the condition. when you have to attend a few reapirs now a days the cost exceeds 100,000 easily.

...easy to flog off if i want to and shockingly...decently speed can be achieved when needed :)

i certainly agree that corolla's can deliver decent speed on demand. quite a few years ago during uni days i was driving my nissan pulsar hatch at full throttle in Malabe at 130km/h thinking i am unbeatable, only to be overtaken by a corolla 110 that came from no where.

I recommend Toyota Starlet EP82 for you.

That is the most suitable one for you according to your requirements and conditions. And Remember to go for a manual one. If you need to go for an AUTO, my view point is that you should always buy a car of 1999/2000 or later. As i know, starlet EP82 last produced in 1995. 1995 AUTO gear boxes are not that good --- so go for a manual one.

And EP82 is a very economical car. I usually do 12-13 in city limits and above 15 on off roads.

Good luck for finding your dream car..;)

i was in your shoes a few years ago...

searched all over for many makes and brands...

finally settled for an ae100 for pretty much similar reasons..

I have an AE100 sprinter se limited...mine is manual but you do get auto... I just hate autos and that's just a personal preference :)

Mine in YOM93 and reg is 19-...i have seen the same model with english plates also so 300- should be available...

in my experience...the 19- or the 300- doesn't really reflect the condition of the car. when i was hunting, the 19- one i bought was the best out of so many 300 and 301's i checked up

one of the downsides to owning an older car is that you will get a few repairs to attend to here and there...

in my case...the ECU and the delco failed , had to replace the steering rack bushes cos it sprung a leak, had to replace the ac cooler and most recently the alternator...

other repairs have been usual running repairs like rack ends and stuff...

but the car hasn't let me down to date, not stopped in the middle of the road or even on the side of it :) always brought me home...

does quite well on fuel, parts are available all over the place, easy to flog off if i want to and shockingly...decently speed can be achieved when needed :)

cons would be imo

doesn't look too great, have that old car factor, doesn't have fancy electronics or safety feature like air bags etc

i bought mine for 10.55 about 3 years ago...chances are...prices would have dropped a bit by now

agree with yu ripper..had a ae 100 for 2 years and that was my first car. its 94 model XE version white light with 19- plates..like yu said i came across so many 300 or above plates but none was in good condition like that 19 plate one..never had issues in finding parts and that was a manual too. it did a guarnteed 12 in town and 15 plus in outstations.

had to do quite a few running repairs like yu said starting fro lower arm bushes, mounts and shocks even the steering rack..bt was a wonderful car with a decent look and a pick up too. later on i added aspoiler and put crystals for front and it was a damn goodlooking car IMO.

tha t also never let me down and almost clocked 40 k within two yars with kandy colombo running during weekeknds...that was an awesome car...go for it.

Edited by evergreen