• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Looking for Upgrade from a Demio. Budget around 6.5 Mil .What are good options?

Pasan PK

Question

Hi all ..

I currently use a Mazda Demio 2010 and looking to upgrade as I have been using this for 5+ years.

My main requirement would be fuel efficiency( 15 Km/L + ) as I spend close to 30K a month on petrol with Demio working around 14-15 Km/L.Other than that comfort & smooth drive with less maintenance. Prefers good acceleration(Guess I have to go above 1000CC + for that) .Don't like those Wagon R type cars . 

I think my options are Aqua ,Vitz (2010 +) ,Mirage ,Fit , CRZ , S660 ( Doesn't mind 2 doors but little concerned of resale value)

I did look at options about a year ago couldn't find a car worth the extra money i put up. Highest stretch would be 7 Mil if good resale value hoping to get around 5 Mil for the Demio. Facing the dilemma again on this so thanks in advance for the insights and recommendations.

8 answers to this question

If those are the cars you are looking at and your expectation is to save money...you are better off keeping your current car.

1. Vitz...you are looking at a 1000cc car that is very basic (nicely spec'd models simply did not come to SL and most of what you see are what the local car sellers have stuck on in terms of "options"). Performance is really sucky. Sitting in traffic, it will be okay, but once it starts moving with people in the car, the car simply cannot perform. Besides...10 yr old CVT car mostly owned by cost conscious users. CVT was a bit of an issue and doubt most of them have been fixed properly or fixed at ll.

2. Aqua, Fit, CRZ : 10 year old Hybrids. Whatever money you save you are going to have to save it as you are most likely going to spend it on fixing hybrid battery issues. Even if they have fixed

3. S660 : If you are worried about resale value and fuel consumption even before looking at a car yet alone buying one...then this is not the car for you. It is an enthusiast's car. People buy it for the pleasure of driving. If you buy it 6.5mil LKR...you will sell it probably for a lot more (as these cars are out of production, they cannot be imported and only a very few are available in the country...this also means you cannot maintain it in a half-a$$ed way like a Vitz or an Aqua). Yes..your average Johnny and Sriyani Doctor Aunty will not come to look at it. Only the enthusiasts and brokers. 

As for resale value....please don't be hood winked by this...when you resell your car 99% of the people who come to look at it will be brokers. They will put your car down like crazy making up utter BS. They will even buy a S660 off of you for next to nothing telling you claims of "no market" but turn around and sell it for double the price. So despite you hearing some cars having high demand and retaining value, most of the time you are not the one getting the benefit and owners actually do let go of it at lesser than what they thought it would be. 

Looking at your options...I would strongly suggest you KEEP the Demio. If you are bored with the car, try doing some simple updates to it...wheels, suspension, brakes, stereo system, etc... If the concern is fuel consumption...get your car properly tuned and fixed up...change your driving habits and travel patterns (this may even include getting in shape !).
The bitter truth is unless you are going for a significant upgrade in terms of vehicle class and age (i.e. a much, much newer vehicle), you are better off keeping your Demio. You have no idea what the condition the Vitz, Aqua, etc..is. Any car you buy you still will have to do some repairs to fix issues and as a preventive measure. So..its better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 8:11 AM, Pasan PK said:

Prefers good acceleration(

Not gonna get it in the Vitz I'm afraid.

On 5/12/2024 at 8:11 AM, Pasan PK said:

Aqua ,Vitz (2010 +) ,Mirage ,Fit , CRZ , S660

You mentioned running costs and resale so I'd categorize your usage as more of a Regular user with typical expectations. CRZ and S660 are more or less 2nd Cars that someone would take around for a spin. 

I have no experience with the Mirage - but might be a good left-field choice. 

[EDITED - I'm not up-to-date on the prices clearly. Damn the prices for these are crazy]

You're looking at basically Aqua (2012/13) vs FIT Gp1. 

The Aqua is faster has more pulling power. But it's handling feels a bit dead and watered down. Will do better on fuel than the Gp1. 

Gp1 has nimbler handling. Has more bells and whistles like cruise control.  Much more spacious inside and generally bit more 'tougher' than the Aqua. 

The GP1 had an oil burning issue but most have been sorted out by now and is a relatively straightforward issue. 

Both are old hybrids so make sure you keep a buffer for battery related issues. But that hasn't stopped people from buying them. Life goes on! 

Edited by matroska
Was not aware of current prices. Had to change

39 minutes ago, matroska said:

You mentioned running costs and resale so I'd categorize your usage as more of a Regular user with typical expectations. CRZ and S660 are more or less 2nd Cars that someone would take around for a spin. 

I have no experience with the Mirage - but might be a good left-field choice. 

Upgrade makes no sense to be honest....whatever savings he makes are just going to get saved up into doing up HSD repairs.

40 minutes ago, matroska said:

The GP5 just feels a bit more nimble and engaging to drive than the aqua . Plus the GP5 feels more spacious inside. Another fun little car is the Honda Fit GP4.

TBH....I find the Demio a lot more fun to drive than the Fits...the Fits feel a bit more nicer in the interior finish though...

I think what you have is a Demio DE3FS. Have the same car as the second car. My first one being a Mitsubishi Galant. 

I didn't think I'd love the Demio since the Galant is a pretty well put together car with a 2000cc engine and with later mods added  - Tien Coilovers with a 2 inch drop, a strut bar and wider tyres. 

Well, nope. the Demio has surprised me quite convincingly. It's a really good daily driver and amazing at city driving. I thought the Galant is the better long distance car. But the Demio has surprised me there as well. 

If I were you, I'd keep the Demio. If you're getting 14-15 kmpl, you're a better driver than I am. I've a lead foot attached to my hips and the best I've done driving in the city is 9kmpl. Outstations, I manage to get 15+ kmpl. But that too mostly at speeds that can get me in trouble. 

As @iRage mentioned, get some mods done if you can afford it. There are HID headlights available for the car, if you don't have them already. You can find a pair if you take a stroll down Delkanda. A good stereo, some good tyres will sort you out properly. 

Maintenance is a breeze. It's a simple car with ample spare parts available. If keen driving is your jam, you can find some braces for the front and the back. 

Most Aquas and Fit's are thrashed to the moon and back. It's also quite difficult to find one still with the owners. Most are now changing hands between the brokers and car sales people. Every time those change hand, a new option appears miraculously. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, Pasan PK said:

Recently came across the model Toyota Wigo. Anyone got any insights about it? Hadn't actually heard the model till last week.

It's an Indonesian-designed Daihatsu rebadged as a Toyota with a 1KR engine. There is also a Perodua version of it (Axia). It is specifically designed for developing markets and is an entry-level car. It's quite nippy (although the same engine in the Vitz is abysmal). Not the most comfortable as the suspension is a bit hard and the car is light, but for its class it is actually not bad.

Interior feels very simple from the materials used to the design itself. Indonesia and some other markets have some well-equipped models, but I doubt they made it to SL.

Coming from a Demio you will feel a bit of a downgrade (might not feel as such when new but after sometime you will). The Demio will also feel a lot more grounded on to the road (giving you more confidence). 

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed responses & suggestions @iRage , @matroska, @Sierra Charlie .

I have been doing small updates like Alloy wheels ,interior lights to keep the fun going . Seems like I would have to go further in that direction and wait for a well maintained Aqua or a Fit of a friend is up for the grab. 

Recently came across the model Toyota Wigo. Anyone got any insights about it? Hadn't actually heard the model till last week.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:17 PM, Sierra Charlie said:

If I were you, I'd keep the Demio. If you're getting 14-15 kmpl, you're a better driver than I am. I've a lead foot attached to my hips and the best I've done driving in the city is 9kmpl. Outstations, I manage to get 15+ kmpl. But that too mostly at speeds that can get me in trouble.

TBH my travel routes normally doesn't involve city and traffic heavily. How was the cost of those headlights ? 

Wigo will be a newer albeit a lower category car for you, coming from a Demio. It's a budget car for developing countries. It will lack the finesse of cars like the Demio. Here's a little idea : If you are considering the Wigo, do try out the Perodua Axia as well  - while not theoretically the same car it almost is. The Toyota badge adds a few hundred thousand to the price of the Wigo. You can get the same out of the Axia paying less. 

I'd say stick with the Demio - if you want a change - you could take a look at  Something like a Mazda Axela from around 2008/2009 

TBH my travel routes normally doesn't involve city and traffic heavily. How was the cost of those headlights ? 

One place quoted me 60k for one side. It's negotiable and drive a hard bargain.

For context, I found original Tien coilovers for my Galant for 60k for all 4.