• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4dr5 Jeep

charakadas

Question

10 answers to this question

on the topic, i have a question about it... the 4DR5 came with a 3 forward and 4 forward box (floor-board shift). And its the same engine thats on the Rosa bus (except it has a 5 speed box)... so was wondering if there's a difference in the final drive of the 2 gearboxes. Cos Our jeep has a 4 forward, and i've always thought that the jeep can handle a 5th gear. So if the 5th gear on the bus is higher than the jeep it jsut might be a fix, but if the 5th gear only makes the ratios closer together then there isnt a point in doing a swap.. So anyone got any idea on this?

on the topic, i have a question about it... the 4DR5 came with a 3 forward and 4 forward box (floor-board shift). And its the same engine thats on the Rosa bus (except it has a 5 speed box)... so was wondering if there's a difference in the final drive of the 2 gearboxes. Cos Our jeep has a 4 forward, and i've always thought that the jeep can handle a 5th gear. So if the 5th gear on the bus is higher than the jeep it jsut might be a fix, but if the 5th gear only makes the ratios closer together then there isnt a point in doing a swap.. So anyone got any idea on this?

ok good topic,

there is a difference between the engines of the jeep and rosa/canter

1. the starter motor is fixed from the engine side cz of the different bell housing unlike in the jeep its from the gear box side

2. in jeep oil filter is a top mount( directed to top) in canter/ bus engine its the other way around

3. intake manifold is different in bus/lorry cz it takes air from an air box fixed in body sumwhere

4. bus has a bigger radiator as i think cz its has a 12 ltr coolant capacity vs 8 ltr in jeep

5. most of the buses and lorry's hv 12v starter and systems

6. clutch slave is also different in lorry's and buses

7. jeep has a coil spring type, buses and lorry's have a diapragm spring

8. 5 fwd gear boxes hv a 3.8 ltr oil capacity so i guess its bigger than jeeps one cz jeep can only have 1.7 ltrs, so guess there will be a problem coupling d transfer box cz of the space issue

9. and the gear ratio's are totaly different in 5 fw n 4 fw (dnt know on 3 fw stuff)

Gear 5 forward 4 forward

1st 4.755 3.000

2nd 2.765 1.795

3rd 1.492 1.354

4th 1.000 1.000

5th 0.792

so its little different

hope this helps

Edited by Janith Seneviratne

Thanks Janith. Yep, the ratios helped indeed. I didnt know about the physical size difference in the gear boxes... so i guess thats out of the question... in that case i guess the best thing is to get a set of Diesel diffs. Cos ours was a petrol vehicle originally which was converted, but the diffs are still the petrol ones, and those are geared lower AFAIK.

Btw All jeeps normally come with the leaf springs, and not coils. But I have heard of some conversions that have been done in SL form leaf to coil...

Thanks Janith. Yep, the ratios helped indeed. I didnt know about the physical size difference in the gear boxes... so i guess thats out of the question... in that case i guess the best thing is to get a set of Diesel diffs. Cos ours was a petrol vehicle originally which was converted, but the diffs are still the petrol ones, and those are geared lower AFAIK.

Btw All jeeps normally come with the leaf springs, and not coils. But I have heard of some conversions that have been done in SL form leaf to coil...

yea can do the conversion, but better go for diesel diff's and leafs, i have the same thing petrol j32 converted to diesel, by doing the conversion to coil ur gonna loose the original value of ur jeep, putting diesel diff's is a trickier job too, ur gona hv to do some chassis grinding for that in front, coz im doing it again cz the last guy who did it messed it up, in a diesel jeep the shackle holding brackets are much wider than the petrol cz in a diesel leafs are wider cz of the heavier engine and you got to have sum one really good to do this cz we're talking about chassis modifications here, for the whole 4 leafs conversion it might cost u around 25K-30K with all the parts and labor, cz ur converted you'd better do this conversion cz one of my friends jeep (a J32) had front broken leafs all the time, hv u ever hd dt problem?

good OT :)

this further confirms rosa gear box has an over drive than 5th gear rotates 1:1 with 4 different lower gears like in some busses.

However as pointed out by someone swap is nearly impossible without a modification of the gear box housin because the 4wd transfer case isn't compatible with rosa box. I know of few such conversions did with cut and weld type jobs with very low success rate due to welded gear box housings cracks and tend to leak oils.

Solution to achieve higher speed in lower engine rpm is to install diesel differentials, both front and rear, otherwise you'll have issues in turning the vehicle with 4wd on. And further install 33x10.5 tires.

good OT :)

this further confirms rosa gear box has an over drive than 5th gear rotates 1:1 with 4 different lower gears like in some busses.

However as pointed out by someone swap is nearly impossible without a modification of the gear box housin because the 4wd transfer case isn't compatible with rosa box. I know of few such conversions did with cut and weld type jobs with very low success rate due to welded gear box housings cracks and tend to leak oils.

Solution to achieve higher speed in lower engine rpm is to install diesel differentials, both front and rear, otherwise you'll have issues in turning the vehicle with 4wd on. And further install 33x10.5 tires.

does anyone hv the diff rations of the petrol diffs one?

yea can do the conversion, but better go for diesel diff's and leafs, i have the same thing petrol j32 converted to diesel, by doing the conversion to coil ur gonna loose the original value of ur jeep, putting diesel diff's is a trickier job too, ur gona hv to do some chassis grinding for that in front, coz im doing it again cz the last guy who did it messed it up, in a diesel jeep the shackle holding brackets are much wider than the petrol cz in a diesel leafs are wider cz of the heavier engine and you got to have sum one really good to do this cz we're talking about chassis modifications here, for the whole 4 leafs conversion it might cost u around 25K-30K with all the parts and labor, cz ur converted you'd better do this conversion cz one of my friends jeep (a J32) had front broken leafs all the time, hv u ever hd dt problem?

yeah, in fact we did the leaf spring conversion some years ago. Didnt do a lot of chassis modification. If i remember right, we just got the diesel leaf spring sets, shackles, pins and the other small parts, but didn't mess with the chassis. To get rid of the extra space (play) at the chassis end of the shackle added some thick washers. It was pretty straight forward, though i dont quite remember the exact costs involved as this was probably a good 7-8 years ago, and then again i guess those costs wouldn't be that relevant anymore either..