• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vvt-i And Synthetic Oil

rangerover

Guys,

Browsing through old threads i gathered that there were mix reactions on using synthetic oil on VVT-i engines. Is it true? I have a 2004 toyota allion at home with 28k mileage and the previous service I used Caltex magnatec semi synthetic. This car does about 300 km a month, but i service it every 3 months irrespective of the mileage. I am due to service it next week, and need to clarify if semi synthetic is actually bad for VVT-i?

Whats the best choice?

1. Mobile XHP - (Heard it changes colour fast)

2. Caltex Magnatec (is semi synthetic ok?)

3. Toyota motor oil (which is mobil rebranded?)

Guys,

Browsing through old threads i gathered that there were mix reactions on using synthetic oil on VVT-i engines. Is it true? I have a 2004 toyota allion at home with 28k mileage and the previous service I used Caltex magnatec semi synthetic. This car does about 300 km a month, but i service it every 3 months irrespective of the mileage. I am due to service it next week, and need to clarify if semi synthetic is actually bad for VVT-i?

Whats the best choice?

1. Mobile XHP - (Heard it changes colour fast)

2. Caltex Magnatec (is semi synthetic ok?)

3. Toyota motor oil (which is mobil rebranded?)

Machang, I thought you were looking at buying an Allion as recently as 22nd Feb, as per the thread, Looking for a car between 3.5-4.

You mean to say you bought one so soon and had it serviced too?

Feb 22 2010, 08:26 AM

Post #1

Guys.

I would be selling my 121 and thus am looking to buy a new car. Given up the idea of a european. My budget is a max of 4 mil. It would be better if i can get a car around 3.5. Could you recommend good cars, and am not too fussy on fuel efficiency (i think this factor has been over hyped in SL) as i do max of about 400Km per month

I like something exciting. And have the following in mind.

1. 2004 Toyota Allion (ok may not be the most exciting, but still very comfy)

2. 2004 Subaru Legacy ( Not the easiest to find)

3. 2004 Toyota premio

Please suggest some cars, for me to start my hunt this week. Also could i get the above cars for my budget?

Cheers

And for th matter at hand, no such issues with the Oil and VVTi.

Also one more thing, this car has done only 850 Km since it was serviced last, which was 3 months ago. The oil used was semi synthetic magnatec. Should i go ahead and change the oil anyways? since it has been 3 months ( i heard the oil can loose its optimal effects after about 3 months)

Also one more thing, this car has done only 850 Km since it was serviced last, which was 3 months ago. The oil used was semi synthetic magnatec. Should i go ahead and change the oil anyways? since it has been 3 months ( i heard the oil can loose its optimal effects after about 3 months)

Hey,

Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEzdp7MSF2Y , I don't know in SL conditions this is valid or not.

I believe the VVTi issue was with a particular brand (XHP)- and that was quite a few years back. The issue was addressed (in the US market)...and i don't think its a problem anymore.

If its been only 850kms since the last change, you're probably wasting money swapping out with new oil- if you go 6-8 months on low mileage, its still ok. There's a reason why its synthetic- it doesn't break down as quickly as the regular semi/mineral oil. It will however, pick up dirt from regular combustion...and thats what changes the colour over time. Darker it is, logically more contaminated...and only then is it time for oil change.

As a rule of thumb, I change around 5000kms-8000kms or when the oil is no longer clear on my fingers- but thats simply because i won't take a risk given i have a turbo...

I'm using Toyota branded fully synthetic oil for my car (2006 made Toyota Premio) . It did not give me any problems so far (mileage is 55,000 Km). Can recommend it for VVTi engines without a doubt. I used to change oil every 3000 Km (but I think it can go up to 5,000 Km without a problem).

I'm using Toyota branded fully synthetic oil for my car (2006 made Toyota Premio) . It did not give me any problems so far (mileage is 55,000 Km). Can recommend it for VVTi engines without a doubt. I used to change oil every 3000 Km (but I think it can go up to 5,000 Km without a problem).

hmmm - I think 3000kms for fully synthetic is waaaay to little. Even the semi synthetic can last for 10000k. The fully synthetics usually last for a good 15000kms. Of course the rule of the thumb is to change either on km's or every 6 - 9 months. On the european newer cars fully synthetic is good for 25000 kms on the petrols and 15000 kms on the diesels.

Cheers,

Thats bad advice. There is no way you can run 10k in local conditions on semi-synth while considering change intervals of 6-9 months. Even on fully synth you can't run 15k and change only every 6-9 months. Actually when I changed my oil last weekend- it was just about 4 months and 6k on mobil 1 Gold, and the oil was dark enough for a change.. even though IMO it would have run another 1k easily

Thats bad advice. There is no way you can run 10k in local conditions on semi-synth while considering change intervals of 6-9 months. Even on fully synth you can't run 15k and change only every 6-9 months. Actually when I changed my oil last weekend- it was just about 4 months and 6k on mobil 1 Gold, and the oil was dark enough for a change.. even though IMO it would have run another 1k easily

You think so ? I used to run my HRV manual on Mobil 1 change every 9 months and the oil colour seemed quite fine - the clean park chaps used to always say that the change was in vain and that you could run more ? When they change the oil in the current car closer to once a year running on Castrol Fully syn, the colour seems pretty decent - no darkish colour ..etc that you would see for instance when changing the mini fully mineral oil. Actually have used mobil 1 for all my previous jap cars and never had any issues. - Nissan / Honda ...etc. Even the BM diesel which used to use Mobil never gave out darkish blackish looking oil.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Well actually oil color is not the only factor when determining its life span.. i know of cars that had harmless looking oil color, while being clogged with sludge. Some good oils turn dark cause they pick up contaminants easily (eg. mobil) Others tend to burn more eg. Helix, Castrol tends to hold color but does not clean.. IMO

Well actually oil color is not the only factor when determining its life span.. i know of cars that had harmless looking oil color, while being clogged with sludge. Some good oils turn dark cause they pick up contaminants easily (eg. mobil) Others tend to burn more eg. Helix, Castrol tends to hold color but does not clean.. IMO

True agree with you but on the BM for instance - I've seen under the head cover and inside the sump so the current service schedule works fine. The BM's have a component called the PCV (or CCV - crank case ventilator) that which is essentially a filter which needs to be replaced like every 50000 kms. If this get clogged up - you could potentially end up with a sludging problem but otherwise no major issues. After 50k on the BM under the rocker cover looks brand new - no sludge to be seen nor any in the sump. So I can vouch for that.

I wonder whether the jap cars have a ventilator valve like the PCV for oil vapor re-circulation.

Cheers,

True agree with you but on the BM for instance - I've seen under the head cover and inside the sump so the current service schedule works fine. The BM's have a component called the PCV (or CCV - crank case ventilator) that which is essentially a filter which needs to be replaced like every 50000 kms. If this get clogged up - you could potentially end up with a sludging problem but otherwise no major issues. After 50k on the BM under the rocker cover looks brand new - no sludge to be seen nor any in the sump. So I can vouch for that.

I wonder whether the jap cars have a ventilator valve like the PCV for oil vapor re-circulation.

Cheers,

I think the PCV Valve is a standard component in Modern cars. it's a must since new Emission laws come to effect in most of the countries.

Edited by Ruslan