• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Travelling To Jaffna

Chris0628

Hey guys.. any idea of the road conditions going to Jaffna ????

a close friend was recently there and according to him roads are quite good except in a few places here and there

that too is under construction so within a few more weeks all should be a ok...

he was there in his double cab but said that cars can pretty easily get there without major issues

a close friend was recently there and according to him roads are quite good except in a few places here and there

that too is under construction so within a few more weeks all should be a ok...

he was there in his double cab but said that cars can pretty easily get there without major issues

That's Great... thanks for the info

That's the A9, Between Killi and Paranthan! Road is the standard B grade, though its the A9. I had Starlets and Allions and 406s buzz past me... some parts are as bad as any road in Colombo due to roadworks. But in general, drivable without any hassle. In Mirusuvil, take it easy as the road is like a long stretch of waves... I felt the wheels lift off the ground few times... sort of... :)

dsc00183hj.th.jpg

That's the A9, Between Killi and Paranthan! Road is the standard B grade, though its the A9. I had Starlets and Allions and 406s buzz past me... some parts are as bad as any road in Colombo due to roadworks. But in general, drivable without any hassle. In Mirusuvil, take it easy as the road is like a long stretch of waves... I felt the wheels lift off the ground few times... sort of... :)

dsc00183hj.th.jpg

grt...hoping to go in ma EK3 :)

dsc00183hj.th.jpg

By the looks of it the road looks pretty decent.............The trinco road however leaves much to be desired.

The first 30km or so from Habarana is fully carpeted, but then the road works havent gone beyond that.....well they are doing it, but not really sure when its gonna finish.

The strech of 'old' paving is coming of here n there which means its quite a bumpy and hence slow ride to trinco.

By the looks of it the road looks pretty decent.............The trinco road however leaves much to be desired.

The first 30km or so from Habarana is fully carpeted, but then the road works havent gone beyond that.....well they are doing it, but not really sure when its gonna finish.

The strech of 'old' paving is coming of here n there which means its quite a bumpy and hence slow ride to trinco.

hmm i see mr shai has been checking up on the new property up there :)

Up to Madawachchiya fully carpetted and there after road is under construction for another 20 km or so. Near Omanthai road condition is very bad but manageble. Last 75 km is ok but alot of un evenness and our Rosa bus went up several times. :D

Cars can go and I saw lot of cars were traveling on the road.

hmm i see mr shai has been checking up on the new property up there :)

LOL...yeah. My poor car though :(

yeh the road was in the same state when i went to trinco last october i guess not much construction has happend since then.

What happened dude ?

:) Thankfully nothing happened mate...but the suspension really got a beating.

yeh the road was in the same state when i went to trinco last october i guess not much construction has happend since then.

Nope not much progress yet he he...oh and also the road makes for a very good obstacle course when driving at twilight.....in the rain

Maybe this is a stupid question but are the enough petrol sheds along the way ? :)

A big YES on both counts!!! :)

Gas stations in Vavuniya, Killi and then in Jaffna. But plenty in Jaffna.

Edited by VVTi

Ha ha ha ha!!

I left Colombo with a full tank, topped up in Vavuniya just in case. Fears were unfounded as plenty of fuel in Jaffna and the suburbs. Came back with the same fuel. Still has some left as I did not run the pickup since then.

Ha ha ha ha!!

I left Colombo with a full tank, topped up in Vavuniya just in case. Fears were unfounded as plenty of fuel in Jaffna and the suburbs. Came back with the same fuel. Still has some left as I did not run the pickup since then.

:) i'm hoping to go in my EK3.... hope i don't bust my suspension... :)

by the way... what was the security procedure over there ?

:) i'm hoping to go in my EK3.... hope i don't bust my suspension... :)

by the way... what was the security procedure over there ?

Stop at Omanthai and give the driver name and vehicle number. They might/might not check the vehicle. Don't try to be a smart ass. Don't give the boys and girls attitude. Smile, be humble and be on your way. If you want to take pics, do it with their permission. Ask first, ALWAYS.

From there onwards no issues. When in Jaffna be aware that most if not all of them are not happy that you are there. So stay out of people's faces. Don't take pics of people. Especially kids, unless they show some friendly face. Don't expect the locals to smile at you. They may be friendly but most of them will be suspicious. The rumor is that the Diaspora has spread the word with the locals that the GOSL is PAYING southerners to travel to Jaffna. Basically, be very very sensible and ensure that you don't give them a reason to hate the southerner more than they do now.

On the way back, you will be asked to give vehicle and driver details past Chaavakachcheri. No issue. Some cops there might ask you for a lift to Omanthai... at your discretion.

At EPS you will be asked to dismount and will be asked to open your bags and boot and glove box. If you buy anything from Jaffna, make sure you have the receipts.

Same thing at Omanathai on the return.

No biggy!

But what will be hilarious is how the SLDF boys have converted all the LTTE bunkers along the way to some crazy stuff!! Especially the dreaded LTTE Passport office!

Will not spoil it for you!

Stop at Omanthai and give the driver name and vehicle number. They might/might not check the vehicle. Don't try to be a smart ass. Don't give the boys and girls attitude. Smile, be humble and be on your way. If you want to take pics, do it with their permission. Ask first, ALWAYS.

From there onwards no issues. When in Jaffna be aware that most if not all of them are not happy that you are there. So stay out of people's faces. Don't take pics of people. Especially kids, unless they show some friendly face. Don't expect the locals to smile at you. They may be friendly but most of them will be suspicious. The rumor is that the Diaspora has spread the word with the locals that the GOSL is PAYING southerners to travel to Jaffna. Basically, be very very sensible and ensure that you don't give them a reason to hate the southerner more than they do now.

On the way back, you will be asked to give vehicle and driver details past Chaavakachcheri. No issue. Some cops there might ask you for a lift to Omanthai... at your discretion.

At EPS you will be asked to dismount and will be asked to open your bags and boot and glove box. If you buy anything from Jaffna, make sure you have the receipts.

No biggy!

But what will be hilarious is how the SLDF boys have converted all the LTTE bunkers along the way to some crazy stuff!! Especially the dreaded LTTE Passport office!

Great tips, heading there next month on office work and looking forward to it.

No biggy!

Awesome... thanks for the info...

Not planning on going soon, but in the spirit of public interest, 95 oct?

No, I did not see 95.... the Morris Minors and the Oxfords don't run on 95.. they run on Kero.. :)

Are you going to take your VZR? I am sure she can run on 90 once in a while... :)