• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help To Identify Cvt Multimatic Gearbox In Es8

kaushama

Gentlemen!

Please help me to identify CVT multimatic culprit in Honda ES8 externally!

Almost all cars I have seen, the owners quote that they are not CVT! Some say ES8 brought to Sri Lanka never had multimatic gearboxes.

But most of other civic forums say that ES8 had a reputation of CVT Multimatic gearbox issues.

And what are the issues?

Gentlemen!

Almost all cars I have seen, the owners quote that they are not CVT! Some say ES8 brought to Sri Lanka never had multimatic gearboxes.

But most of other civic forums say that ES8 had a reputation of CVT Multimatic gearbox issues.

And what are the issues?

Brand new imported ES8 don't have cvt gear boxes. At the gear lever if you find "S" position, It is CVT. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Brand new imported ES8 don't have cvt gear boxes. At the gear lever if you find "S" position, It is CVT. Please correct me if i am wrong.

That is correct.

Kaushama- are you having the famous start clutch judder at moving from standstill? This is a common CVT issue.

Edited by evilmak

Gentlemen!

And what are the issues?

in a Honda CVT or Multimatic...easiest way is which "JAGA" has explained....

ES (7th GEN CIVIC) CVT has a 6 position transaxel stages... that is P-R-N-D-S-L

What are the specific features or symptoms that I should look for when inspecting a CVT ES8 to detect issues.

To the information I have learnt so far CVT problems are irreparable and need a replacement of the gearbox when it occurs.

Perhaps experts here would help the newbies like us to prepare a checklist on problem detection.

Thank you

What are the specific features or symptoms that I should look for when inspecting a CVT ES8 to detect issues.

To the information I have learnt so far CVT problems are irreparable and need a replacement of the gearbox when it occurs.

Perhaps experts here would help the newbies like us to prepare a checklist on problem detection.

Thank you

before answer your question, im wondering as to why sellers are scared to tell their cars are CVT equipped. there are a lot of eks and es running with CVT and im sure it wont give you any issue as long as yu maintain them accordingly.

the most visible symptom is the judder vibration in stop start situations. specilly when climbing hills with a load.

and the vibration in when reversing is another symptom

unstable idle in D postion can also be a symptom

poor fuel consumption too is a symptom of a CVT box going bad.

yes. CVT gearboxes cannot be repaired. only possible thing is overhauling the lower valve body with cleaning/replacing ATF filters.

NO few clearly said that the car does not have a "problematic CVT gearbox" while it has "S" mode. Perhaps market perception is that CVT gearboxes give you trouble and hence less value or room for bargaining.

i dont know how this applies to ES ranage but EK with CVT has no such peception in my openion since i sold mine few months ago. but one has to be careful whether the gearbox is in good condition.

Ow yeah bro (evergreen)..and the car u sold few months ago...Runs smooth as silk up to now.... (lol..)

Guys here.... dont be afraid of the CVT tranny... "True that the Honda CVT is very sensitive" but..as long as u use it by knowing how to maintain it... it will run for thousands & thousands of miles without any trouble.... just be sure the fact that CVT Fluid has been changed in evry 15000 km and done the CVT filter change in every 40000 km ..... if u have evidence (basically service records..ideally with the Local AGENT ! ) no body gotta be afraid of...

• Like 1

Ow yeah bro (evergreen)..and the car u sold few months ago...Runs smooth as silk up to now.... (lol..)

Guys here.... dont be afraid of the CVT tranny... "True that the Honda CVT is very sensitive" but..as long as u use it by knowing how to maintain it... it will run for thousands & thousands of miles without any trouble.... just be sure the fact that CVT Fluid has been changed in evry 15000 km and done the CVT filter change in every 40000 km ..... if u have evidence (basically service records..ideally with the Local AGENT ! ) no body gotta be afraid of...

ES8 was the shortest civic series being sold in Spore. It was sold in late 2000 and stopped ard 2 yrs later to make way for the ES1/5 series. Many of the ES8 owners sold off their ride within 3 yrs. Why ? Due to the infamous start clutch problem associated with the CVT gearbox. Subsequent civic from ES series onward was using the normal torque convertor auto gearbox. I was driving an EK3 from 2000 to E/2004....managed to fix the problem just before warranty ended.

Totally agree... Regular tranny fluid changes at 10-15,000km will keep your CVT running with no issues. There is also a transmission oil additive which is a proven to cure even cars with juddery CVT boxes. I guess it's a matter of time when the additive will be widely available in SL and then hopefully consumers will change their perceptions about CVTs!

Totally agree... Regular tranny fluid changes at 10-15,000km will keep your CVT running with no issues. There is also a transmission oil additive which is a proven to cure even cars with juddery CVT boxes. I guess it's a matter of time when the additive will be widely available in SL and then hopefully consumers will change their perceptions about CVTs!

yeah i too heard about this "magic thel" which has worked really well on Honda fit/aria Cvt trannys. i think this should availble in sri lanka by now.

yeah i too heard about this "magic thel" which has worked really well on Honda fit/aria Cvt trannys. i think this should availble in sri lanka by now.

I got down the additive (Oil Extreme) to help some of my friends out, and man does it not work like magic. I have also shared the details of the supplier with the Stafford Technical Manager (Dhanuja), and several other people as there is no supplier bringing these stuff down :(

The additive is a US product, and has been originally created to sort out issues with engines. Seems the chaps in Sing, Thailand and Japan found out that this additive had a magical affect when it comes to the CVT issue. The additive has the ability to block microscopic holes and damages in the engines, and when poured into the gearbox the same affect this time for the damaged belt (which is the cause for the jerkiness). The oil also supposedly enhances the lubrication of the transmission oil.

Once the additive has been put (you don't need to do a fresh oil change to see the affect, though to save your pocket of having to pour the additive again during the next CVT oil change, its advisable to put it with new oil), you can shift to a normal oil change routine (CVT routine) of 15-20,000 km. Cars in Sing and Thailand are now doing over 150K without issues after this additive.

Either way once the additive was poured to the transmission (just a 125ml bottle) within 5 mins of driving the jerk was gone, and both cars have now done over 6-7000km and no issues!! The stafford chaps keeps asking how the cars are doing :) and if the oil is available locally.

So HOnda Fit/Jazz/Fit Aria/City cars don't need to be worrying if they start using this additive, and seems if you use this additive before the jerk comes is the best approach to avoid the problem!.

Honda Civic ES3 and ES8 CVT owners have to be careful, as this additive will not sort out their problems as the cause there is more not the belt but supposedly the EGR valve which needs to be replaced.

I

Honda Civic ES3 and ES8 CVT owners have to be careful, as this additive will not sort out their problems as the cause there is more not the belt but supposedly the EGR valve which needs to be replaced.

Interesting stuff,

Does this thing works on EK3 as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is this the only way to identify a CVT gearbox? then what are the gear positions available in Automatic?. Can this method be applied to all Civic ES models?

Is this the only way to identify a CVT gearbox? then what are the gear positions available in Automatic?. Can this method be applied to all Civic ES models?

Automatic You get P R N D D3 2. This applies for all es models.

Automatic You get P R N D D3 2. This applies for all es models.

One sure way is to drive the car. The smooth gear change and the catapol like effect when you put your foot down is a sure give away (CVT).