• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Stops While Gear Shifting

seejaylk

Question

hi...

guys i need your valuable advices for this.... my car is a Lancer 1998 carb model one.... last Saturday i did a engine tune up and car war really been nice after.

today when i'm driving i feel that car is very underpowered and engine stops while changing gears. also i noticed the RPM is 5 - 5.5 when idle(without AC) but before this it was 7 - 8.

guys wht do you think about this problem....? any good place to check this out..?

thanks

:mellow:

7 answers to this question

Normal idle speed is 750-800. Therefore advance your idle speed then the problem will be fixed.

wht would be the reason to drop it suddenly...? bcos it was 7- 8() when after tuning :unsure:

also today i was noticed when i start it morning RPM was correct, after traveling 5 or 6 kms i checked it and it was dropped..

wht would be the reason to drop it suddenly...? bcos it was 7- 8() when after tuning :unsure:

also today i was noticed when i start it morning RPM was correct, after traveling 5 or 6 kms i checked it and it was dropped..

there are two circuits in carb, simple terms, cold and hot let's say. Ask your mechanic to tune the car when it's in working temperature. Usually engine runs on high RPM when the cold circuit is activated that explains your statement, RPM is correct as soon as you started the engine. RPM drops when the vehicle is in working temperature and your mechanic should tune the engine in this condition. I assume this is a CK1 with electro carb. If so things would be pretty easy as hot circuit is activated electronically in this model. If things don’t get sorted out, take it to a conversant carburettor guy.

there are two circuits in carb, simple terms, cold and hot let's say. Ask your mechanic to tune the car when it's in working temperature. Usually engine runs on high RPM when the cold circuit is activated that explains your statement, RPM is correct as soon as you started the engine. RPM drops when the vehicle is in working temperature and your mechanic should tune the engine in this condition. I assume this is a CK1 with electro carb. If so things would be pretty easy as hot circuit is activated electronically in this model. If things don’t get sorted out, take it to a conversant carburettor guy.

its CK2.. i was traveled 30+ kms before the tuning, so i think engine temp was high that time.. i did a carb repair b4 1 month ago (banda)...

:sad-smiley-047: :sad-smiley-047: :sad-smiley-047:

its CK2.. i was traveled 30+ kms before the tuning, so i think engine temp was high that time.. i did a carb repair b4 1 month ago (banda)...

:sad-smiley-047: :sad-smiley-047: :sad-smiley-047:

Bugger. Try advancing the idle restrainer bolt a bit, if you're familiar with the system. If this solves the issue and engine RPM is not so high in cold running you'll be better off.

Hi seejaylk

Just tell me whether the engine stops when you change the gear or while you release the clutch ?

Once i had a similar problem , but it was a blocked lower jet of the carburetor.i am not familiar with

your car model.After cleaning of carburetor you may encounter similar problem ( blocked jet) Etc so you may

again clean it.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi seejaylk

Just tell me whether the engine stops when you change the gear or while you release the clutch ?

Once i had a similar problem , but it was a blocked lower jet of the carburetor.i am not familiar with

your car model.After cleaning of carburetor you may encounter similar problem ( blocked jet) Etc so you may

again clean it.

Thanks

Regards

sumith

my bad.. it should be "When i Pressing the clutch" . engine stops as soon as press the clutch..

thanks for the tip.. i'll check it