• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Window Tints-what's The Deal???

Shrapnel

Hi,all!!

So what's the deal on tinting the glasses of your ride?Some say only the full tint(as in all glass tinted) is unlawful(why,do we still have a war?)...others say if driver and shotgun rider's windows are clear then that's OK....still others say 20% darkened is OK but more is no-no.....how the cops going to measure this 20% is anybody's guess.....

My car has the rear windscreen and passenger windows darkened OEM(I mean the glass itself is dark-no tint sticker)..so what am I to do-pull everything out and replace????!??IF it was OK for SEN0k to import it here,why would a cop object??? :unsure:

Hi,all!!

So what's the deal on tinting the glasses of your ride?Some say only the full tint(as in all glass tinted) is unlawful(why,do we still have a war?)...others say if driver and shotgun rider's windows are clear then that's OK....still others say 20% darkened is OK but more is no-no.....how the cops going to measure this 20% is anybody's guess.....

My car has the rear windscreen and passenger windows darkened OEM(I mean the glass itself is dark-no tint sticker)..so what am I to do-pull everything out and replace????!??IF it was OK for SEN0k to import it here,why would a cop object??? :unsure:

I think you shud remove ya glasses and paste some polythene on it :violent-smiley-030:

just kidding... but it might feel gud rather than dealing with F***** cops...

they just bring in rules without thinking much... and rules only runs for short while...

these donkeys dosent know why the tint is there, n the uses of it...

they just want to bring in stupid ruels and earn some money (leagal & illegal)...

:alc: they might bring in rules for remove doors too, since it covers the view of lower parts of the passenger :angry-smiley-048::alc:

Edited by outlander
  • Like 1

I think you shud remove ya glasses and paste some polythene on it :violent-smiley-030:

just kidding... but it might feel gud rather than dealing with F***** cops...

they just bring in rules without thinking much... and rules only runs for short while...

these donkeys dosent know why the tint is there, n the uses of it...

they just want to bring in stupid ruels and earn some money (leagal & illegal)...

:alc: they might bring in rules for remove doors too, since it covers the view of lower parts of the passenger :angry-smiley-048::alc:

Saw 2 cops randomly stopping tinted window cars yesterday around Thimbirigasyaya area.....one guy had a book and all the other guy had was this attitude.I saw many guys squirming and explaining in vain :(

Hi,all!!

:action-smiley-060::angry-smiley-048::action-smiley-060:

Phew!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanx LaZy!!

well, factory tint cannot escape if the vehicle is unregistered. I saw a small article in weekend papers that vehicle importers had been asked to replace all tinted glasses with plain and no registration till then. They've made a statement saying this will incur an additional 100k per vehicle approximately. This is absurd for a country which had gone through war and started enjoying peace. I doubt these guys wants public to be in wartime mindset, rather i can't see any rationale about this tint law. As someone pointed out if we can focus about the drops of fuel we can save around the country by running with tints.

well, factory tint cannot escape if the vehicle is unregistered. I saw a small article in weekend papers that vehicle importers had been asked to replace all tinted glasses with plain and no registration till then. They've made a statement saying this will incur an additional 100k per vehicle approximately. This is absurd for a country which had gone through war and started enjoying peace. I doubt these guys wants public to be in wartime mindset, rather i can't see any rationale about this tint law. As someone pointed out if we can focus about the drops of fuel we can save around the country by running with tints.

How many other things we need to correct in our road than removing tints.

Most of the busses and heavy vehicles does't have break lights.

No bus stops, they can stop where ever they want and we have to pass them by crossing , double lines, single lines, etc.

oh... god so many things coming to mind regarding road decipline alone.. this is really #$#%#$ #&*%$%$% %^&*^

• Like 1

How many other things we need to correct in our road than removing tints.

Most of the busses and heavy vehicles does't have break lights.

No bus stops, they can stop where ever they want and we have to pass them by crossing , double lines, single lines, etc.

oh... god so many things coming to mind regarding road decipline alone.. this is really #$#%#$ #&*%$%$% %^&*^

My guess is that the cops prefer vehicles which they can see the occupants,especially if a V*P motorcade is passing by...for all practical reasons, it is as if the war still goes on..what with all these security checkpoints we have in Colombo!On a really rainy day,one could take a blooming scud missile in a lorry-no cops to stop since they don't wanna get wet....

...but on a nice weekend evening,they stop all the sundry to gawk at the chicks in the cars and what not...

This is absurd for a country which had gone through war and started enjoying peace. I doubt these guys wants public to be in wartime mindset, rather i can't see any rationale about this tint law. As someone pointed out if we can focus about the drops of fuel we can save around the country by running with tints.

Hah hah the funny thing is, on the same article some big cop says - "“Now the war is over so there is no necessity to have tinted glass windows in vehicles. Earlier people were targeted by terrorists and criminals but now there is no reason to have such tinted glass windows." :unsure:

• Like 1

Hah hah the funny thing is, on the same article some big cop says - "“Now the war is over so there is no necessity to have tinted glass windows in vehicles. Earlier people were targeted by terrorists and criminals but now there is no reason to have such tinted glass windows." :unsure:

I'm freaking pissed with these meaningless laws! And see the explanation they give! Were terrorists dumb enough to think that there were cattle in the vehicles with tinted glasses?? This is so meaningless! With this heat also, 30% tint isn't sufficient. And also, there is a loss of privacy when everyone can look into your car. These morons have got their priorities wrong!

I'm freaking pissed with these meaningless laws! And see the explanation they give! Were terrorists dumb enough to think that there were cattle in the vehicles with tinted glasses?? This is so meaningless! With this heat also, 30% tint isn't sufficient. And also, there is a loss of privacy when everyone can look into your car. These morons have got their priorities wrong!

yeah...the worst is that large majority of morons are supporting these actions of these morons!

I'm sure there are thousands of dumb retards who must be raving about the no tint law!

I hope somebody will take these mofos to court or something cos that seems to be the only functioning arm of the country that's unbiased

My guess is that the cops prefer vehicles which they can see the occupants,especially if a V*P motorcade is passing by...for all practical reasons, it is as if the war still goes on..what with all these security checkpoints we have in Colombo!On a really rainy day,one could take a blooming scud missile in a lorry-no cops to stop since they don't wanna get wet....

...but on a nice weekend evening,they stop all the sundry to gawk at the chicks in the cars and what not...

LMAO...heh heh....very true mate

:alc: Damn its nothing to wonder why the country is not going forward, with ppls like these...

TINT is not only for look...

There are many reasons to tint your car from protecting against health concerns, safety and privacy reasons, as well as preserving your investment in your car. Listed below are some of the top reasons that people tint their cars.

Avoid Overheating

Your car's interior can be 60% cooler during those hot summer days with proper tinting, same time this saves more fuel.

Protect Your Skin

Harmful UV rays from the sun can cause skin cancer. Tinting your car can block 99% of these damaging rays.

Accident Protection

In an auto accident, tinting can help shattered glass hold together, protecting the occupants of the car.

Safer Driving

Tinting reduces dangerous glare from the sun, snow, and other headlights, helping you drive safely.

Enhanced Privacy

Tinting protects your privacy and contents within a car. What a burglar can't see, he won't steal.

Prevent Cracking and Fading

Harmful UV rays and heat cause car upholstery to crack and fade. Car tint is sunscreen for your car.

as smeone mentioned earlier, is it TINT the only issue we r having in our transportation system ???

Edited by outlander
  • Like 1

I think all these $%$^ rules due to the attitude problem we have in this country.

Cops think they are superior to vehicle drivers, they forget their here to serve the people.

Just thought to share some thing happened yesterday ..

a collegue of mine said her husband went to N#B bank which belongs to government and promote housing loans including PVT sector employees. The guy was working in one of the distileries company which contributes to the most of Gov revenue. The middle aged lady has asked where you work and he replied ***** , the lady said sorry I don't know that company, we give loans only to the reputed companies .. then he has asked to you know what **** is stand for she has told no .. guy said " mama inne Arakku company ekaka.. thiya gannawa thamuselage loan eka" and left the place..

today my friend took a leave and went to see the manager with her husband to get the loan :D

I think all these $%$^ rules due to the attitude problem we have in this country.

Cops think they are superior to vehicle drivers, they forget their here to serve the people.

Just thought to share some thing happened yesterday ..

a collegue of mine said her husband went to N#B bank which belongs to government and promote housing loans including PVT sector employees. The guy was working in one of the distileries company which contributes to the most of Gov revenue. The middle aged lady has asked where you work and he replied ***** , the lady said sorry I don't know that company, we give loans only to the reputed companies .. then he has asked to you know what **** is stand for she has told no .. guy said " mama inne Arakku company ekaka.. thiya gannawa thamuselage loan eka" and left the place..

today my friend took a leave and went to see the manager with her husband to get the loan :D

:alc:MIRACLE of ASIA

No, we are wrong, tints were used to fool terrorists to think that all tinted vehicles carry VIPs, so it was a tactic used as a defense strategy those days :P

very true!!!!! totally agree........ :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

We all agree that this absurd and truly ridicules

Can’t we as a community do something about this ??? either through the legal system , petition etc…..

I’m not in the know how on things like this but I’m sure there must be a way to get around it. Some of the members might have access to top officials and so called big shots.

Surely there must be some lawyers in the forum or even members who have their parents, uncles, aunty cousins who are more aware on matters such as this e.g fundamental rights violation etc…

Just my 2 cents – hope some one can take this up more seriously

We all agree that this absurd and truly ridicules

Can’t we as a community do something about this ??? either through the legal system , petition etc…..

I’m not in the know how on things like this but I’m sure there must be a way to get around it. Some of the members might have access to top officials and so called big shots.

Surely there must be some lawyers in the forum or even members who have their parents, uncles, aunty cousins who are more aware on matters such as this e.g fundamental rights violation etc…

Just my 2 cents – hope some one can take this up more seriously

Bro,I share your sentiments.Surely there MUST be an experienced lawyer who would take up this case for PRO BONO basis;we have so many activists taking up so many good causes-it is weird that NO ONE took this up to the powers that be......doesn't the lawyer-types also enjoy going about in tinted-window vehicles,too?????

If someone thinks that all these laws are for the benefit of the motorists/public etc.,one cannot be more wrong...these are just lazy methods(sorry,LaZyBoy :P ) to do the police job(that is protecting the hide of their political masters).....guys,remember the time when this same farking police demanded that motorcyclists NOT to wear helmets???(need I say more???)

Can't they introduce some sort of a pass/sticker for motorists after verifying their background for security-this way,at least ordinary joes like myself can drive on while they can nail a few "Pathales" and such like??????

If the politicos don't feel safe in Colombo,with all these tinted-window vehicles going about then WTF are they blathering on TV saying that now we are absolutely safe and now we can "paraka behela yanna puluwan nidahase" thanks to so and so??????

:alc: Damn its nothing to wonder why the country is not going forward, with ppls like these...

TINT is not only for look...

There are many reasons to tint your car from protecting against health concerns, safety and privacy reasons, as well as preserving your investment in your car. Listed below are some of the top reasons that people tint their cars.

Avoid Overheating

Your car's interior can be 60% cooler during those hot summer days with proper tinting, same time this saves more fuel.

Protect Your Skin

Harmful UV rays from the sun can cause skin cancer. Tinting your car can block 99% of these damaging rays.

Accident Protection

In an auto accident, tinting can help shattered glass hold together, protecting the occupants of the car.

Safer Driving

Tinting reduces dangerous glare from the sun, snow, and other headlights, helping you drive safely.

Enhanced Privacy

Tinting protects your privacy and contents within a car. What a burglar can't see, he won't steal.

Prevent Cracking and Fading

Harmful UV rays and heat cause car upholstery to crack and fade. Car tint is sunscreen for your car.

as smeone mentioned earlier, is it TINT the only issue we r having in our transportation system ???

Obviously the uneducated old fogies making these laws know none of the above. Someone should present these points to court (with proper research backing) and I'm sure this will end up like that speed gun rule did earlier.

Bro,I share your sentiments.Surely there MUST be an experienced lawyer who would take up this case for PRO BONO basis;we have so many activists taking up so many good causes-it is weird that NO ONE took this up to the powers that be......doesn't the lawyer-types also enjoy going about in tinted-window vehicles,too?????

If someone thinks that all these laws are for the benefit of the motorists/public etc.,one cannot be more wrong...these are just lazy methods(sorry,LaZyBoy :P ) to do the police job(that is protecting the hide of their political masters).....guys,remember the time when this same farking police demanded that motorcyclists NOT to wear helmets???(need I say more???) Can't they introduce some sort of a pass/sticker for motorists after verifying their background for security-this way,at least ordinary joes like myself can drive on while they can nail a few "Pathales" and such like??????

If the politicos don't feel safe in Colombo,with all these tinted-window vehicles going about then WTF are they blathering on TV saying that now we are absolutely safe and now we can "paraka behela yanna puluwan nidahase" thanks to so and so??????

yeh i remember that..it was for full face helmets from what i remember..jus read on the news about the one week grace period..but it didnt mention anything about within the limits i was thinking tint as a whole would need to be taken out...im quoting what the IGP said " He said after the ultimatum of one week from today, police would prosecute any vehicle owners who used tints on their shutters. However, he added that where tints had to be used for shutters due to some reasons, permission would have to be obtained from the Defence Ministry" just interprit it to say no tint is allowed...but wut do u guys think of the statement? does it still apply that the rear windows and rear screen can be completely tinted and just have i recall 60% as max limit for tinting on the front..

yeh i remember that..it was for full face helmets from what i remember..jus read on the news about the one week grace period..but it didnt mention anything about within the limits i was thinking tint as a whole would need to be taken out...im quoting what the IGP said " He said after the ultimatum of one week from today, police would prosecute any vehicle owners who used tints on their shutters. However, he added that where tints had to be used for shutters due to some reasons, permission would have to be obtained from the Defence Ministry" just interprit it to say no tint is allowed...but wut do u guys think of the statement? does it still apply that the rear windows and rear screen can be completely tinted and just have i recall 60% as max limit for tinting on the front..

The lethargy in taking up this tint issue or the lack of protest to the ban is in my thinking due to the fact that the majority of Sri Lankan commuters make do with either buses or trains and has no time or sympathy for the folks who go about in tinted window cars....somehow "tinted" is equated with "posh"(I wish) and many must be thinking "damn good-serves them right for going about without offering us a peek of their stuff".I bet most of the said commuters are bemused WTF this ha-ho is about in the first place.....

These fellows don't realize that we live in a tropical country where even a 20-minute bus ride would leave your poor cotton shirt glued to your back.When you see the other lot of idiots who somehow secure these window seats in buses and firmly close the windows so that their "konde" doesn't go "awul" or so that their Catarrh noses don't act-up...you feel like reaching for that Texas chainsaw for a massacre :violent-smiley-030: