• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Have You Been Cheated? Post Your Experience Here!

kaushama

- When selling never let anyone check chasis numbers etc

May i ask why? Cos, if i were buying I would want to verify the car's genuine and hence look for/at the engine/chassis number. So why not give the same chance to any other buyer buyuing from?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that?

you beat me to it..:) I was about to ask the same question? In most of the cars chassis number is clearly engraved in a metal plate. So it is not that hard for anyone to have a quick glance at it.. :unsure:

Edited by GearHead

Why is that?

Just to be safe that your numbers wont get engraved on another set of wheels with a duplicate number plate. Alot of Cut and but people are in search of duplicate numbers. 32-xxxx, 61, 64, 65 numbers are quite vulnerable i have learned. Im sure you might be able to get these info under the table off RMV but better be safe than sorry. With a chasis number and engine number engraved with a duplicate number plate with a fake revenue license you have a complete dummy!

- Trust a party with the name on the registration book rather than open papers. I think open papers are a menace in our country.

Awww man. Your gonna kill my chances of selling my car if that advice is heeded :)

May i ask why? Cos, if i were buying I would want to verify the car's genuine and hence look for/at the engine/chassis number. So why not give the same chance to any other buyer buyuing from?

I guess I shouldn't have said never but mind who your showing it to. A genuine party like you would want to, i agree and I would probably let you. But a broker looking fella who puts thattu around the vehicle looking for cataloy fillings, i probably wouldn't.

And gearhead yes in some parts of the world the chasis number is clearly engraved in a small metal usually on top of the dash in a corner. (known as VIN vehicle identification number) Atleast thats how it is over here. But in SL most chasis numbers are engraved on the chasis usually under one of the rear wheels. You need some scraping and dusting before you can really see it.

Just to be safe that your numbers wont get engraved on another set of wheels with a duplicate number plate. Alot of Cut and but people are in search of duplicate numbers. 32-xxxx, 61, 64, 65 numbers are quite vulnerable i have learned. Im sure you might be able to get these info under the table off RMV but better be safe than sorry. With a chasis number and engine number engraved with a duplicate number plate with a fake revenue license you have a complete dummy!

yes, but the owner on record (at the RMV) will still be the original owner and not the owner of the fake/copy car. And as someone had some time ago mentioned on the forum, there's a service offered by the RMV that lets you verify this info.

Anyway when you're buying a car would you buy one without making sure the engine/chassis number match with the book?

Awww man. Your gonna kill my chances of selling my car if that advice is heeded :)

HA HA my bad amigo! you know what, Option A we could probably Sensor that off until you part with your wheels. Or option B, you could always make a day trip to the ever interesting RMV to get it changed for a nominal fee of 1000/= for one day service. LOL :D

I guess I shouldn't have said never but mind who your showing it to. A genuine party like you would want to, i agree and I would probably let you. But a broker looking fella who puts thattu around the vehicle looking for cataloy fillings, i probably wouldn't.

And gearhead yes in some parts of the world the chasis number is clearly engraved in a small metal usually on top of the dash in a corner. (known as VIN vehicle identification number) Atleast thats how it is over here. But in SL most chasis numbers are engraved on the chasis usually under one of the rear wheels. You need some scraping and dusting before you can really see it.

Nope, VIN's different from chassis No. AFAIK. And in cars that dont have a removable 'chassis' the number is engraved in the engine bay if i'm not mistaken..

But you know, when we were selling the gemini there were quite a number of calls from people valuing the car at less than 1/2 the market value. And one guy who (now from the descriptions you're giving) sounds like a broker came too. He came in a FB15, and i found it funny that he was selling his FB15 and buying this (as he claimed). At that point i thought it was a businessman who needed some cash at hand + a set of wheels hence a downgrade. We didnt want to sell at his price and we never heard from him after that..... In the end (few weeks ago) the car was sold, to someone who happened to be a batchmate from school (though i dont quite remember him in school).. :)

yes, but the owner on record (at the RMV) will still be the original owner and not the owner of the fake/copy car. And as someone had some time ago mentioned on the forum, there's a service offered by the RMV that lets you verify this info.

Anyway when you're buying a car would you buy one without making sure the engine/chassis number match with the book?

Yes the owner wouldn't change its just there could be a dummy running around doing all sorta stuff that could get the owner in trouble. Thats just a conservative way of looking at it i guess. But I absolutely see what your saying. I doubt if my father ever checked chasis numbers before making these purchases. But as times have changed your better off doing so I believe. I dont think even half of the forum members have done so. Did you get behind that wheel and check chasis numbers when you bought your first car?

And yes its true of the free service from RMV.I have used it once to find original color, engine capacity etc etc.

HA HA my bad amigo! you know what, Option A we could probably Sensor that off until you part with your wheels. Or option B, you could always make a day trip to the ever interesting RMV to get it changed for a nominal fee of 1000/= for one day service. LOL :D

Uh, I'm trying to avoid option B :) and A would be unethical, what to do :)

Yes the owner wouldn't change its just there could be a dummy running around doing all sorta stuff that could get the owner in trouble. Thats just a conservative way of looking at it i guess. But I absolutely see what your saying. I doubt if my father ever checked chasis numbers before making these purchases. But as times have changed your better off doing so I believe. I dont think even half of the forum members have done so. Did you get behind that wheel and check chasis numbers when you bought your first car?

And yes its true of the free service from RMV.I have used it once to find original color, engine capacity etc etc.

Actually yeah i did look for the engine/chassis number :) though finding it was a task by itself :D

but better safe than sorry...

i had d same problem when i was selling my car.

when i went to see another car in a sale, the owner asked whethr i was selling my old car..he asked wt was the price i expected..i said 16 lacks(mazda 323,2002model)..he said..oh no, its wrth only arnd 12 lacks..im getting one next week to the car -sale..

i then said..ok,i have a frnd,hes looking fr a cheap mazda 323,i will send him..so he can get the car from u fr atleast 13 laks, since u r getting it fr 12 lacks..

then the car sale owner was lost fr wrds..haha

i eventually sold d car fr 16.25..in the same sale the week later i saw a similar car..same in evry way.. he's quoting 18.75..not a cent less..

never sell ur car to a car sale owner..moral of the story..haha