• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifications In Track Racing

fuzzo

i was just wondering how the track cars which run non modified classes are scrutinised. do they check each car thoroughly before each race or is it more of a trust thing?

machan,

at katukurunda in Feb, i remember some people (looking like officials with their IDs and clipboards) looking under the hoods of the cars or something like that before the start of the qualifiers....

i guess mivec.turbo can answer that better.... btw, havent seen him on the forum in some time :party-smiley-015:

well looking under the hood is not enough, there is a lot of stuff that can be done to cars and still make it look standard...

ya i guess so..

btw, what do you guys think about replacing brembo calipers on a Evo7 with some other make (on a track car that is)...i've seen this done, and was puzzlued cos i thought brembo was considered the best...

Fuzz,

Every car, regardless of class, is scrutinized before every qualifying session and race. In fact, you are not allowed onto the track without a signed sticker on the front windscreen that indicates that the club officials have scrutinized your car.

Depending on whether the class, N or A, officials conduct examinations based around a different set of parameters. Due to time, and other constraints, it is mostly a visual exam and scrutineers do not check cubic capacity, flywheels etc unless a protest is lodged against a car.

When a competitor makes a protest, he pays a fee of around Rs. 5,000 - Rs. 10,000 to the club hosting the meet or SLAS (I dont know which). If the protest is upheld, the money is refunded. If not, that money is used for new gaskets, other costs involved etc.

ya i guess so..

btw, what do you guys think about replacing brembo calipers on a Evo7 with some other make (on a track car that is)...i've seen this done, and was puzzlued cos i thought brembo was considered the best...

Brembo are pretty good but not good enough.Instead they prefer using brake pads/discs/calipers/kits like AP Rcing, alcon to name a few. They are typical racing brakes capable of withstanding high levels of heat that you see in track conditions.

Hey overdrive,

I don't mean to prove u wrong or anythin, but how can u say that brembo isn't good enough? The Ferrari F1 team use brembo as their brakes in their F1 cars... The brake temperature of a F1 car is between 600 degress and 1000 degrees.... I believe the car mentioned with AP racing brakes belongs to Reyaz Farook but in which case why is Dinesh Deheragoda running with brembo brakes on tarmac events? Surely Dinesh with his sponsors can afford to get better brakes but he doesn't which clearly means something... It means that the brembos are good...

Anyways, don get it the wrong way... Jus a pointer...

Hey overdrive,

I don't mean to prove u wrong or anythin, but how can u say that brembo isn't good enough? The Ferrari F1 team use brembo as their brakes in their F1 cars...

machan we can't compare Brakes brembo develops for f1, those are custom made braking systems. I'm talking about a good after market braking system for everone. ap racing is one of the most well known and respected competition brake manufacturers. they do formula cars/WRC/Touring you name it. Not just brakes machan competition carborn clutches and many more. I'm not saying brembo is not good product, they are indeed, wht i'm saying is ap is the better one. majority of races use these should count for something they are doing right.

FYI a bit about AP Racing

"In Grand Prix Racing our success started with the incredible Auto Unions and has continued uninterrupted ever since to the championship winning Williams, McLarens and Ferraris. The 2001 Canadian Grand Prix marked our 500th clutch win in 34 years. Over that period, engine power outputs have nearly doubled but our clutches have reduced in size and weight by a remarkable 113mm and 3.3kg. With over 220 brake winners AP Racing shows the way.

Over the years this success has been repeated in all other types of Single Seaters including Champ Cars, Indy Racing League, Indy Lights, F3000, F3 etc.

In Touring Cars we continue to equip winners in the ever popular DTM, the new TOCA Touring, V8 Star, and Australian V8 Supercar series. "

:)

machan we can't compare Brakes brembo develops for f1, those are custom made braking systems. I'm talking about a good after market braking system for everone. ap racing is one of the most well known and respected competition brake manufacturers. they do formula cars/WRC/Touring you name it. Not just brakes machan competition carborn clutches and many more. I'm not saying brembo is not good product, they are indeed, wht i'm saying is ap is the better one. majority of races use these should count for something they are doing right.

FYI a bit about AP Racing

"In Grand Prix Racing our success started with the incredible Auto Unions and has continued uninterrupted ever since to the championship winning Williams, McLarens and Ferraris. The 2001 Canadian Grand Prix marked our 500th clutch win in 34 years. Over that period, engine power outputs have nearly doubled but our clutches have reduced in size and weight by a remarkable 113mm and 3.3kg. With over 220 brake winners AP Racing shows the way.

Over the years this success has been repeated in all other types of Single Seaters including Champ Cars, Indy Racing League, Indy Lights, F3000, F3 etc.

In Touring Cars we continue to equip winners in the ever popular DTM, the new TOCA Touring, V8 Star, and Australian V8 Supercar series. "

:)

Fuzzo / Overdrive

With reference to scrutinizing what KLM said is correct.

As for the brakes “my opinion” is that Brembo is better than AP Racing. It is not that coz I use them, but that is what I was recommended by Ralliart Europe and also by my tuner in Australia and I do agree with them.

I have used Brembo titanium 8 pot brakes in my earlier race car (Evo VIII RS) and the latest from Brembo is the aluminium Mono Block brakes which are really good. Moreover AP Racing is fully owned by Brembo ( http://www.brembo.com/ENG/AboutBrembo/Inve...mpanyStructure/ ) The market leader and in terms of technology, Brembo is ahead of AP Racing.

Usually the Brembo brakes could be identified in the following manner:

Red/Yellow calipers are for road cars

Black calipers are for SUVs

Mat Gold calipers are for race cars

:jumping-smiley-013:

so from what i understand, unless the car is just flying off the start line or the others hear of something, there is really no way to know if the car has any unathorized mods... to protest about it

so from what i understand, unless the car is just flying off the start line or the others hear of something, there is really no way to know if the car has any unathorized mods... to protest about it

Flying off the start line? Only if people have installed an illegal AWD system. Mostly people suspect foul play if a car is unusually fast - like for example a standard Nissan March that is much faster than another standard Nissan March.

I'm not sure that any protests have been made over the stuff people have heard. It isn't quite F1 where the recent acoustic analysis of the revs a car is producing at different points at a circuit indicated that some teams were using (illegal) wings that flexed under heavy load.