• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

China's Geely Completes Volvo Buy

kotte mafia

It is obvious that according to the recent road accidents no matter which country made that vehicles.Nowadays all look like Papadam.So as it is the world trend,do not worry. :action-smiley-060:

Actally its not about how the car looks like after the accident that matters. What matters is if the occupants of the vehicle could walk out of it.

Maybe you can read up on 'crumple zones' before assessing a papadam's crispyness.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actally its not about how the car looks like after the accident that matters. What matters is if the occupants of the vehicle could walk out of it.

Maybe you can read up on 'crumple zones' before assessing a papadam's crispyness.

don't waste your time bro. Old school thinking is metal cages that don't even bend slightly in most horrible crash are safe, which was proven wrong long time back and now the safety policy of any car manufacturer would be to return the man not the vehicle. And this is not known to some people still believes in safety is dealt with thick metal plates.

I think you chaps haven't checked who made that comment. Modern cars have controlled crumple zones and rigid passenger shells. Chinese vehicles are just one big crumple zone. Fans of Chinese vehicles don't know the difference.

I'm generalizing of course. There maybe some safe models, but off hand, I don't know of any.

I think you chaps haven't checked who made that comment. Modern cars have controlled crumple zones and rigid passenger shells. Chinese vehicles are just one big crumple zone. Fans of Chinese vehicles don't know the difference.

I'm generalizing of course. There maybe some safe models, but off hand, I don't know of any.

yeah..i kinda noticed but opted to stay out of it..

how can you possible talk sense into somebody who thinks buying a chinese van for 1 mill is better than buying a corolla for 5mill cos you have 4 mill extra to do the repairs :action-smiley-060:

you just can't beat that kinda super brainy logic now can you! :P

Surely nothing will change. Its pretty narrow-minded to think that just because the ownership is now Chinese, all future Volvos will be poorly-made made like Geelys. Its a business decision, Volvo will run as its own business unit with most of its old management team and if at all there is technology transfer, it'll be from Volvo to Geely, which is a good thing.

Surely nothing will change. Its pretty narrow-minded to think that just because the ownership is now Chinese, all future Volvos will be poorly-made made like Geelys. Its a business decision, Volvo will run as its own business unit with most of its old management team and if at all there is technology transfer, it'll be from Volvo to Geely, which is a good thing.

i don't think old management or strategy will continue as that strategy itself made volvo to be sold to chinese. If chinese too continue with the same, they might have to pump money to volvo which is not the motive of chinese. Profits, more of them, volumes, more and more volumes. What i predicted was that thinking, intention doesn't go in line with quality.

ppl but look at the LR tata deal .... tata got a lot out of the buy ..... remember the old tata SUMO how ugly it was and how misarable the ride was .... but look at the new sumo the technology has leaked to the indian car factory and they have improved over the heritage of the brit atuomobile industry ... but LR has stayed the same ....so i guess it will be the same with the geely and volvo deal ....

tata11.jpg

tatasumograndephoto.jpg

ppl but look at the LR tata deal .... tata got a lot out of the buy ..... remember the old tata SUMO how ugly it was and how misarable the ride was .... but look at the new sumo the technology has leaked to the indian car factory and they have improved over the heritage of the brit atuomobile industry ... but LR has stayed the same ....so i guess it will be the same with the geely and volvo deal ....

Good point

Reality is EU and US are loosing their economic clout.

The next century belongs to the Chinese and the Indians. Good old Asia is slowly but surely regaining her once robbed wealth

The shift in automobile industry to Asia is just another piece of this inevitable mass economic slide

Good point

Reality is EU and US are loosing their economic clout.

The next century belongs to the Chinese and the Indians. Good old Asia is slowly but surely regaining her once robbed wealth

The shift in automobile industry to Asia is just another piece of this inevitable mass economic slide

Sales at A*W and at MICRO are increasing. :D They are maintaining waiting lists because of the high demand.People can get a vehicle and at the same time they can save good amount of their hard earned money for future welfare of their families rather than spending several millions for used jap vehicles. Next year we can see lot of used jap vehicle sales centers gone to "dry zone" :sad-smiley-047:

Sales at A*W and at MICRO are increasing. :D They are maintaining waiting lists because of the high demand.People can get a vehicle and at the same time they can save good amount of their hard earned money for future welfare of their families rather than spending several millions for used jap vehicles. Next year we can see lot of used jap vehicle sales centers gone to "dry zone" :sad-smiley-047:

The only reason that sales of micro and maruti are high is because they still have the cheapest products, it's not that people willingly pick them over a japanese car its simply that for most folks, an indian or chinese tin can is basically all they can afford. And the people who have the economic ability to buy something better? they go right ahead and buy it!

As for your last sentence.... No comment lol, lets come back to this thread in august 2011 and see just how far that has proven true eh?

Hi Guys

LOL ,Have to forget about VOLVO too.

I hate these Chinese and indian stuff

thanks

regards

sumith

Mr. Sumith,

Please give reasons to hate Chinese and Indian stuff you mean Vehicles

In Srilanka all most long distance buses in private sector are all Indian built buses.

All three wheelers are Indian built

I used A new Chana Van and sold same to buy new Chinese Van D/P Van Which will cost me under 1.3M 9 seats.

I had few problems with Chana but I corrected them my self.

Quality in Chinese Vehicles was not improved five years ago but to day they are very much improved.

Please do not misunderstand me that I am promoting Chinese Vehicles and mentioning about Indian built Vehicles.

Wijesinghe.

Members of the forum,

I agree to Mr. Dilesh's point in that case Srilankans should go for Bullet Proof BMW like our V*P's Use one politician escaped with a suicide bomb blast due to Bullet Proof BMW Car.

All srilankans must have a Vehicle with a affordable cost according to their income.

I personally have seen on the drawing board By a Qualified Automobile Engineer to convert Three wheeler to a four Wheeler which six people can travel.

But Srilanka Government will not permit that type of modification.

I like to have other members comments to my post.

Wijesinghe.

Members of the forum,

I agree to Mr. Dilesh's point in that case Srilankans should go for Bullet Proof BMW like our V*P's Use one politician escaped with a suicide bomb blast due to Bullet Proof BMW Car.

All srilankans must have a Vehicle with a affordable cost according to their income.

I personally have seen on the drawing board By a Qualified Automobile Engineer to convert Three wheeler to a four Wheeler which six people can travel.

But Srilanka Government will not permit that type of modification.

I like to have other members comments to my post.

Wijesinghe.

That's a nice sentiment, but simply offering vehicles that are cheaper and cheaper and cheaper isn't gonna quite cut it. Cheaper means less quality, and less quality can translate to a lot a problems. And a vehicle has to be of good build, especially when it comes to safety. And I'm not surprised that this three wheel/four wheel project is not allowed. Why would anyone want to take a vehicle that can only carry two passengers and convert it to a six people carrier??? Frankly, if you just want transportation, go in the bus. If you want to travel in comfort and safety, buy a good vehicle.

I used A new Chana Van and sold same to buy new Chinese Van D/P Van Which will cost me under 1.3M 9 seats.

Wijesinghe.

So you're saying that even if you buy a BRAND NEW chinese vehicle you're gonna have to do modifications/repairs is it?

Doesnt that bear the whole purpose of buying a 'brand new' vehicle.... dumb dumb!

Please dont agree with me if THAT is what you think I said :P

For someone who has a so called 'automotive experience' of over 50 years you sure are stupid....I never mentioned bullet proof cars, did I?

the problem that NORMAL people face is not being shot at.... It's simply being able to survive a crash... there's a HUGE difference between the two..

So you're saying that even if you buy a BRAND NEW chinese vehicle you're gonna have to do modifications/repairs is it?

Doesnt that bear the whole purpose of buying a 'brand new' vehicle.... dumb dumb!

Mr. Dilesh You must mind your language don't use you're gonna and dumb! No member should write in abusing language to other members you are directly abusing me with this post and previous posts Calling me Uncle. That is your education you may be from a good school but a bad product of that school

I never abuse any other member we all have our self-respect. If some one writes to me in abusing language I will retaliate

Please note I have served to Automobile and heavy Electrical Industry for lat 50 Years.

Please read my previous posts about Chana van did not give me any problems as long as I used same.

My Vehicle my Money I can do what ever I want for my satisfaction driving comfort.

This wan was given to a another person to go round Ceylon because he was holidaying in Srilanka for twenty days after 10 years in UK.

He only pumped petrol and used the Vehicle on his last trip to Colombo water has boiled as he had not topped up water for 15 days I was out of the country he has left the van in my home and handed over the keys.

When I was back and started the vehicle two cylinders were missing I had to remove the Cylinder head and reface same four valves was changed Japanese valves.When this Happened the vehicle had done 24600 Kms

Engine ran very well till I sold for 37000 Kms Brake master cylinder was changed to a Japanese Nissan Atlas Van M/cylinder as Chana agents did not have some (washers) parts of the Chinese M/Cylinder.

Japanese new M/Cylinder cost me only Rs:3500.00. Same as Chinese M/cylinder it fitted exactly to the fittings of Chinese Design.

Alternator was changed to 85 Ampere Japanese alternator with a elector magnetic regulator after 20000 Kms

Chinese Chana Engine was Suzuki 1300 CC engine built in China.

I did immediately when I purchased the van suspension modification removing rear helper springs front coil spring to a smaller gauge Tires was changed to 4 ply Tire.

30 years ago no one wanted Japanese Vehicles they preferred western build Vehicles

Whatever other members say about Chinese Vehicles I will buy another new Chinese Vehicle

Wijesinghe.

That's a nice sentiment, but simply offering vehicles that are cheaper and cheaper and cheaper isn't gonna quite cut it. Cheaper means less quality, and less quality can translate to a lot a problems. And a vehicle has to be of good build, especially when it comes to safety. And I'm not surprised that this three wheel/four wheel project is not allowed. Why would anyone want to take a vehicle that can only carry two passengers and convert it to a six people carrier??? Frankly, if you just want transportation, go in the bus. If you want to travel in comfort and safety, buy a good vehicle.

Sir,

Bus transport is the cheapest Your are correct in that respect. I totally agree with you.

Buy a Cycle and peddle around it is good for the health I will say.

In India you can get three wheel cycle with a Engine fitted.

Today do you think Three wheeler is safe three Passengers will be thrown out. If another vehicle crashes in to it.

We are still a developing country we must go back to Customs duty to 1978 era must allow up to 5 years used Vehicles to import cars 10 Years used Commercial vehicles to come.

I told about three wheel to convert to four wheels was designed by a professional Automobile Engineer He has done all safety factor taking to consideration only four stroke Bajaj engine and transmission to be used for availability of spares

To me it is very safe Vehicle but our bureaucrat will not allow to go ahead of that project.

I hope you will remember how Micro started what a difficulty the owner had undergo for registration of first Micro car.

Wasana Trades had got BOI approval for a Chinese Vehicle to be assembled in Srilanka and the process is going on.

Indra Trades too got the approval to collaborate with China and to go ahead with a new Vehicle.

There is a BOI project In Srilanka to get down used Vehicles and put them to gather but they are for export I think few were sold in srilanka. We had some members writing about on those Vehicles to the forum in the past.

Wijesinghe.

Even though i am not a fan of Micro cars and strict my self to Japanese .. I want Micro cars to have more sales, more profits. It is simply due to Patriotic reasons. Looking at where india in terms of automobile manufacturing and acquisitions of some of the top brands i feel sorry for Sri Lanka and my self.

As said above average person in this country has to settle down them self with this Indian and Chinese tin cans mostly maruti and others. Even Micro is Chinese I wish them to increase their sales and improve quality of their vehicles in time to come. :D

Even though i am not a fan of Micro cars and strict my self to Japanese .. I want Micro cars to have more sales, more profits. It is simply due to Patriotic reasons. Looking at where india in terms of automobile manufacturing and acquisitions of some of the top brands i feel sorry for Sri Lanka and my self.

As said above average person in this country has to settle down them self with this Indian and Chinese tin cans mostly maruti and others. Even Micro is Chinese I wish them to increase their sales and improve quality of their vehicles in time to come. :D

Sir,

I appreciate your comments. Opinion differ.

Very good Strict to Japanese technology.

Please remember they raised their head after 2nd world war. With the help of the West

I saw the Expo 70 then all western Vehicles were on Japanese Roads. That was 40 years ago.

If you want a proof that you can see the love in Tokyo Indian film you will see what I am writing is correct or not.

Wijesinghe.

Micro sends first shipment to Nepal

Good demand for locally assembled vehicles:

Micro Cars will be exporting its first shipment of vehicles to Nepal by the end of August.

“Micro has signed an agreement with Nepal’s Malla Group in exporting these vehicles,” Transmec Chairman/CEO Dr Lawrence Perera told Daily News Business.

“There will be 10 Micro cars in the first shipment,” Dr Perera said.

The demand for Micro cars remains the same and Micro has decided to set up the first modern state-of-the-art service centre situated outside Colombo in Kandy today as its next expansion plan,

In addition to the service centre, a Micro car showroom will also be set up in Katugastota, Kandy.

Dr Perera said the service centre in Kandy will function as a central point for the region as there was a huge customer demand for repairs. The service centre will cater to the regional needs of the people.

Micro Cars has signed an agreement with the BOI to expand their factory premises in Polgahawela with another five acres of land. They are into further expansion and Micro Cars has signed with GEELY Automobiles to incorporate Volvo technology to their products which they have already started.

The expansion of the manufacturing plant in Polgahawela will add 80 employees to the current 412 staff members. This will give much needed capacity for the company to grow as a Sri Lankan manufacturer into exports.

There is a demand for locally assembled vehicles despite the tax reduction on vehicles.

“There was a fair reduction in Micro Car prices after the tax reduction on imported vehicles. The improved quality of the cars and the space they provide has attracted many customers.

The demand for the Rexton range among our products is still high. It is the best selling diesel SUV in our product range,” Dr Perera said.

Mr. Dilesh You must mind your language don't use you're gonna and dumb! No member should write in abusing language to other members you are directly abusing me with this post and previous posts Calling me Uncle. That is your education you may be from a good school but a bad product of that school

Please note I have served to Automobile and heavy Electrical Industry for lat 50 Years.

Please read my previous posts about Chana van did not give me any problems as long as I used same.

My Vehicle my Money I can do what ever I want for my satisfaction driving comfort.

This wan was given to a another person to go round Ceylon because he was holidaying in Srilanka for twenty days after 10 years in UK.

I see old unkel is loosing his memory..... i guess he forgot he said the following..

Mr. Sumith,

I call you dumb dumb because you are... you say you buy a BRAND NEW vehicle.. but whats the point, if as soon as you buy it you have to change the suspension for it to be comfortable...

Fine its your money... we arent telling you to throw it away.... but we dont want you recommending to unsuspecting people to buy chinese crap..

Its strange though... sometimes you say you have loads of money and sometimes u say you dont have any.. do you have any memory problems due to 50 years of motoring aging... :P

Wijesinghe.

Dear Unkel dumb-dumb

Can you please tell me what this sentence means? I seriously doubt it if you can blame it on a typo or a spelling mistake...

Is this your 1st class english... sorry sir... we dont understand 1st class.. we are only 3rd class...I lau to come to you-are engilis class to istudy the engilis... i also like to be 1st class...

Sir,

Please remember they raised their head after 2nd world war. With the help of the West

I saw the Expo 70 then all western Vehicles were on Japanese Roads. That was 40 years ago.

If you want a proof that you can see the love in Tokyo Indian film you will see what I am writing is correct or not.

Wijesinghe.

errrr....what's the relevance????

nobody is saying chinese vehicles will be bad forever... at this moment in time they are crap compared to most japanese vehicles!