• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Covers

Sifaan

Question

Has anyone had any experience of using car covers to protect cars from UV damage (e.g. to reduce ageing of interior, paint fading, etc)?

or are the covers available locally just for keeping off dust/water? (I've not really checked them out myself, but noticed some on ebay that claimed UV protection)

Given that not everyone has the luxury of covered parking, covers with UV protection could help preserve the car in good condition, right?

(of course, how useful it is depends on how much time it is parked in the sun vs. driven in the sun :P and someone once told me he doesn't like to use covers because they scratch the paint)

7 answers to this question

Has anyone had any experience of using car covers to protect cars from UV damage (e.g. to reduce ageing of interior, paint fading, etc)?

or are the covers available locally just for keeping off dust/water? (I've not really checked them out myself, but noticed some on ebay that claimed UV protection)

Given that not everyone has the luxury of covered parking, covers with UV protection could help preserve the car in good condition, right?

(of course, how useful it is depends on how much time it is parked in the sun vs. driven in the sun :P and someone once told me he doesn't like to use covers because they scratch the paint)

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t7219.html

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t3370.htm

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4134.html

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t7219.html

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t3370.htm

forum.autolanka.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4134.html

Thanks for the links :)

Summary seems to be

• A covered shelter is a preferred option to a car cover (not an option since the car is parked on the road during the daytime :( )
  • Cheap stuff (umbrella like material) doesn't last long
  • Need to be careful (esp. if there is mud) to avoid scratches
  • Water protection is iffy (waterproof ones don't protect from ground moisture, breathable ones let the rain through)
  • Interior protection (at least partial) through window shades or commercially available protectant (what are they?)
  • If you do use a cover, make sure cats don't piss on it :P
  • covers with interior padding will (probably) not scratch the paint

Except for a slight reference by VVTi, earlier discussions haven't really focused on UV protection of interior (plastics, leather, etc.) and rubber beadings though... so still would like to here any experiences in that context :)

Thanks for the links :)

Summary seems to be

• A covered shelter is a preferred option to a car cover (not an option since the car is parked on the road during the daytime :( )
  • Cheap stuff (umbrella like material) doesn't last long
  • Need to be careful (esp. if there is mud) to avoid scratches
  • Water protection is iffy (waterproof ones don't protect from ground moisture, breathable ones let the rain through)
  • Interior protection (at least partial) through window shades or commercially available protectant (what are they?)
  • If you do use a cover, make sure cats don't piss on it :P
  • covers with interior padding will (probably) not scratch the paint

Except for a slight reference by VVTi, earlier discussions haven't really focused on UV protection of interior (plastics, leather, etc.) and rubber beadings though... so still would like to here any experiences in that context :)

seems a good analysis :)

Sorry mate - it seems that a similar question has gone unanswered :(

IMHO, a car cover for daily use will do more damage than good. If you are planning on using it daily while at work, forget it. Unless you are ready to wash the car daily and make sure that when you put the cover on the car is dust free, then do it. But while dressed for work, it might be not practical on a daily basis. I keep those silver colored sun shades for both back and front and always keep the 4 windows down about 1cm on Sunny days to let the hot air out.

I use a car cover on mine when I lay up the car for more than a few days as I have a small 'cat ' and dust problem where I live. I wash the car, let it dry well, wipe the door sills and interiors, let it air dry and then put the cover on.

UV damage is not going to do any noticeable damage to modern paintwork anyway. Keep the car washed and waxed regularly with a good brand of wax/polish and you will be Ok. Also do a good regular cleanup with ArmourAll or similar product for your interior plastics and they will last for as long as you want it.

Don't sweat the small stuff mate.

Edited by VVTi

I would recommend Armorall wash n wax car wash to wash ur car with. I have been using it and it really protected my paint work between waxes and gave it a nice shine every time i washed. This was with parking in the hot sun for about 4 hours a day mind u.

I have since got a closed parking area, but still use the same car wash

I still got the problem of a good cover for two vehicles.

However for the jeep & a car which under the garage but I still wanted a cover to protect from dust etc..

I got covers from Nawala Cushion and over the last 2 years they have been quiet good,

no damage to the paint as it got soft lining inside, cost around 7500 for the jeep & 6000 for the car.