• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

90 Vs 95 Octane Petrol

randikatn

Which petrol is better for new cars? 90 or 95 ??

For new cars 95 octane s better. 100 octane is more better. if u put 90 octane fuel, da engine knock develops. dats y u get less km per liter. 90 octane fuel can auto ignite before da spark plugs deliver de electric spark. if it happens, before da piston reach da TDC da air fuel mixture burns and da piston tries to go backwards. its an energy loss. bt old cars are designed for 90 octane ones. so i think its no point of putting 95 octane for an old car. even new cars also having complicated computerized fuel injection systems so it can barley survive by phasing valve timing and fuel injection to reduce engine knock. but cant STOP it. so again 95 is better for da new cars. :)

A new car should have its "owners manual". The right info should be there for your engine. I don't think you should go lower than recommended.

My engine needs 91. So I pump IOC Xtra Premium. This is supposed to be 93.

For new cars 95 octane s better. 100 octane is more better. if u put 90 octane fuel, da engine knock develops. dats y u get less km per liter. 90 octane fuel can auto ignite before da spark plugs deliver de electric spark. if it happens, before da piston reach da TDC da air fuel mixture burns and da piston tries to go backwards. its an energy loss. bt old cars are designed for 90 octane ones. so i think its no point of putting 95 octane for an old car. even new cars also having complicated computerized fuel injection systems so it can barley survive by phasing valve timing and fuel injection to reduce engine knock. but cant STOP it. so again 95 is better for da new cars. :)

What a load of crap. The petrol you use depends on ewhat the manufactures specs are. Higher octane petrol is mostly used for performance vehicles and most vehicles on the road will do better with 87 octane as they are designed to work on it. On most cars using petrol with a higher octane ratio than recomended is a waste of money as it does not increase the performance or fuel efficiency . Before you answer question using the myth "what costs more is better for your car," learn a bit about compression ratios and how engines work please. And no, not all new cars are created for higher octane mixes. They are mostly made for lower octane mixes.

Edited by jdnet

100 octane? Do we even have that here?

The recommended fuel for your engine is 91 octane. Use 90 and you should be fine.

Okay, did some reading but couldn't a satisfactory answer. My car's owner's manual states I should use a "Pump Octane Rating of 87 (Research Octane Number 91)". Soooo.... which octane should I use? Just curious over here.... :pardon:

Okay, did some reading but couldn't a satisfactory answer. My car's owner's manual states I should use a "Pump Octane Rating of 87 (Research Octane Number 91)". Soooo.... which octane should I use? Just curious over here.... :pardon:

"RON: (Research Octane Number). Most common fuel used in Europe, Australia and some other Countries. It is determined with measurements of fuel behavior in a variable compression engine. Results are compared with other iso-octane fuels, wish means, compared with other fuel types with equal number of similar octane molecules present, but not the of the same organic compound.

MON: (Motor Octane Number). Determined also with a variable compression engine, but with the fuel already preheated, variable ignition timing and higher RPMs than the RON method. This method is more precise on determining fuel behavior on an loaded engine.

PON or AKI: (Pump Octane Rating or Anti-Knock Index): This is the method used in USA and Canada, expressed as [R+M]/2, wish means RON number plus MON number, divided by 2. In other words, it is the average between both methods above."

Edited by jdnet

Equivalency

"So, due to the fact that RON is always from 4 to 5 points higher of its equivalent to PON or AKI, the number conversion between USA and Europe octane ratings will approximately be as follows:

USA (PON) -> Europe (RON)

87 -> 91

89 -> 93

91 -> 95

93 -> 98"

What a load of crap. The petrol you use depends on ewhat the manufactures specs are. Higher octane petrol is mostly used for performance vehicles and most vehicles on the road will do better with 87 octane as they are designed to work on it. On most cars using petrol with a higher octane ratio than recomended is a waste of money as it does not increase the performance or fuel efficiency . Before you answer question using the myth "what costs more is better for your car," learn a bit about compression ratios and how engines work please. And no, not all new cars are created for higher octane mixes. They are mostly made for lower octane mixes.

well well. as a general answer i still say 95 octane petrol gives a serious efficiency.. fueling 95 octane to old cars are a waste. bt for new cars agents recommend 95. honda agents are seriously telling it. bt ma friends CRVs also switched to 90 octane.

lol and ya i know how engine works and abt da compression ratio. higher compression ratio engines need higher octane becoz lower octane fuel cause autoignition and engine starts knocking. i think i answered now bit clearly. (this is ma first post lol.)

btw u can use 90 octane for da vitz. its nt a prob.

Edited by dhana8706

Equivalency

"So, due to the fact that RON is always from 4 to 5 points higher of its equivalent to PON or AKI, the number conversion between USA and Europe octane ratings will approximately be as follows:

USA (PON) -> Europe (RON)

87 -> 91

89 -> 93

91 -> 95

93 -> 98"

Oh right... thanks for clearing that up. Cheers!

"RON: (Research Octane Number). Most common fuel used in Europe, Australia and some other Countries. It is determined with measurements of fuel behavior in a variable compression engine. Results are compared with other iso-octane fuels, wish means, compared with other fuel types with equal number of similar octane molecules present, but not the of the same organic compound.

MON: (Motor Octane Number). Determined also with a variable compression engine, but with the fuel already preheated, variable ignition timing and higher RPMs than the RON method. This method is more precise on determining fuel behavior on an loaded engine.

PON or AKI: (Pump Octane Rating or Anti-Knock Index): This is the method used in USA and Canada, expressed as [R+M]/2, wish means RON number plus MON number, divided by 2. In other words, it is the average between both methods above."

Just to confirm - what method do we use in Sri Lanka? RON?

if a user manual states "Unleaded premium gasoline" what ocatne level does it refer to?

That isn't a statement on the octane level rather a note that you should only use unleaded fuel. Usually on the page about the fuel it should state which octane gasoline you should use.

Not relevant in terms of which octane, only that you have to pump unleaded fuel...which i believe is being sold in SL.

I think we swapped over a few years back.

since i was curious about petrol after reading this article. i read about this in wiki while ago after posting my initial question and found out that 'premium' means 95 octane in some contexts. but then again it is anybody can edit wiki so i am really confused as to what's what now. :blink:

Edited by isurujosh

since i was curious about petrol after reading this article. i read about this in wiki while ago after posting my initial question and found out that 'premium' means 95 octane in some contexts. but then again it is anybody can edit wiki so i am really confused as to what's what now. :blink:

Ordinary unleaded would be 91

mid-range would be 93

Premium would be 95 and higher