• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tyre Comparision

lasa

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I'm going to buy a pair of new tyres and was wondering which brands were good. I need 17s and I have no previous experience with this type of tyre.

Maybe you all can pitch with info on the tyres you've used and your thoughts on them?

Thanks

Hey all, I'm going to buy a pair of new tyres and was wondering which brands were good. I need 17s and I have no previous experience with this type of tyre.

Maybe you all can pitch with info on the tyres you've used and your thoughts on them?

Thanks

There are many threads on this kind of comparison, but what I didn't see (or maybe I missed it?) in them was evaluation of what kind of use they are good at... e.g. my car is spec'ed to Michelin Energy XM1 (which is now superceded by the XM1+) which is designed for (according to michelin's marketing) fuel economy (less rolling resistance) and durability; the big brother Energy MXV8 (superceded by Primacy LC) is said to be also more comfortable and quiet. These are characteristics I'd like to have :)

OTOH the Michelin Pilot ranges are performance tyres (e.g. good cornering at high speed; shorter braking distance...) for which I wouldn't have much need for (not only the lack of opportunity to do that, but also the presence of the anti-high-speed-cornering-alarm that I am married to :P)

For my sizes (195/65R15) the XM1 is 40-50% more expensive than Goodyear/GT which I think is still worthwhile. I checked at a few shops and they all seem to swear by Michelins as being the best (and the most expensive).

There are many threads on this kind of comparison, but what I didn't see (or maybe I missed it?) in them was evaluation of what kind of use they are good at... e.g. my car is spec'ed to Michelin Energy XM1 (which is now superceded by the XM1+) which is designed for (according to michelin's marketing) fuel economy (less rolling resistance) and durability; the big brother Energy MXV8 (superceded by Primacy LC) is said to be also more comfortable and quiet. These are characteristics I'd like to have :)

OTOH the Michelin Pilot ranges are performance tyres (e.g. good cornering at high speed; shorter braking distance...) for which I wouldn't have much need for (not only the lack of opportunity to do that, but also the presence of the anti-high-speed-cornering-alarm that I am married to :P)

For my sizes (195/65R15) the XM1 is 40-50% more expensive than Goodyear/GT which I think is still worthwhile. I checked at a few shops and they all seem to swear by Michelins as being the best (and the most expensive).

Yeah, fuel economy is not really my concern... I guess my 17s are too wide for that kinda thing. I want a tyre that has good grip and handling. And is reasonably priced. :)

Will check on the Michelins. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how much is an XM1?

Thanks for the link oh quiet one... :)

Yeah, fuel economy is not really my concern... I guess my 17s are too wide for that kinda thing.

not sure what you mean...?

I want a tyre that has good grip and handling. And is reasonably priced. :)

I think any michelin would give good grip/handling at general speeds... the kind of quotes (other forums) I was reading on the high performance tyres were for cornering at 100+kmph :)

reasonable will depend on whether you're buying on a tight budget or are willing to spend more on tyres that will last longer. there are some aging XM1s on the car, will see if I can figure out how long they've been running...

Just out of curiosity, how much is an XM1?

was quoted 14300 (after ~25% dealer discount) inclusive of VAT for my size.

not sure what you mean...?

I think any michelin would give good grip/handling at general speeds... the kind of quotes (other forums) I was reading on the high performance tyres were for cornering at 100+kmph :)

reasonable will depend on whether you're buying on a tight budget or are willing to spend more on tyres that will last longer. there are some aging XM1s on the car, will see if I can figure out how long they've been running...

My tyre size is 225/45/17, so it's a bit of a wide tyre. And I read somewhere that the wider your tyres, the more rubber on the ground, so your fuel economy suffers.

Oh no, I don't need high performance tyres. The ones I have do their job well, but they're slightly on the expensive side. :) Was just wondering what else is out there.

My tyre size is 225/45/17, so it's a bit of a wide tyre. And I read somewhere that the wider your tyres, the more rubber on the ground, so your fuel economy suffers.

technically rubber on ground = weight / tyre pressure; and it will be the same amount of rubber regardless of the width of the tyre (for constant weight and pressure), but the shape of the contact patch will change. wider tyre = wider and shorter patch, which is generally good for the tyre (less deformation => less heat). dunno whether shape of contact patch affects fuel economy though...

Oh no, I don't need high performance tyres. The ones I have do their job well, but they're slightly on the expensive side. :) Was just wondering what else is out there.

something more expensive than michelins :blink: ?

Try Falken. i hav been using them for a year now. pretty muc impressed with handling and comfort being low profile.

something more expensive than michelins :blink: ?

Dunlops start at 23k... :(

Try Falken. i hav been using them for a year now. pretty muc impressed with handling and comfort being low profile.

Is that the F1?

Refer this link:

Hope it will help full for all... :)

Thanks! Didn't come across that before.

It all depends on what you're looking for and your budget. Have used Yokohama ES100's - Fabulous tyres - super grip but are soft and they tend to wear out fast. Currently using Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 - 225/55 X 16 at the back and 215/55 X 16 at the front. The tyres dont seem to be as grippy as the yoko's but appear to be more durable than them. No complaints with the grip level at all though !! And I do tend to thrash them around a bit :)

It all depends on what you're looking for and your budget. Have used Yokohama ES100's - Fabulous tyres - super grip but are soft and they tend to wear out fast. Currently using Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 - 225/55 X 16 at the back and 215/55 X 16 at the front. The tyres dont seem to be as grippy as the yoko's but appear to be more durable than them. No complaints with the grip level at all though !! And I do tend to thrash them around a bit :)

I've had Yoko S.Drives in 17" and 18", outstanding tyre, I think they are the replacement for the ES100. Potenzas are excellent also, though quite expensive. Haven't heard too many good things about Dunlops or Goodyears, in that profile, though Falkens are a better option, if cost is a factor.