• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Suddenly Stopped In A Traffic Jam (autogear Car)

nadunr

Question

Guys,

I had a problem few days back.

I was driving my Starlet EP82 (auto) in a heavy traffic last week. I realised that idle RPM is bit low with AC (500-700). Vehicle was stopping>going>stopping during which idle RPM was slowing down, i was keeping the gear on D position and stopped car for color light, car was on brakes and then tried to accelerate when green light appeared.

But engine stopped suddenly. I could restart and go. Idle RPM was around 1000 after that incident.

The same thing happened to me about a month back.

I have done EFI tune up four months back. All other maintenance upto date.

Any ideas?

Is it something serious?

Thanks for your help..

2 answers to this question

Could be a problem with your air intake system, did they check for any blocks or holes in the hoses? And do a throttle body cleanup? I would also imagine that resetting your ECU might work, but let's see what other's responses are.

Guys,

I had a problem few days back.

I was driving my Starlet EP82 (auto) in a heavy traffic last week. I realised that idle RPM is bit low with AC (500-700). Vehicle was stopping>going>stopping during which idle RPM was slowing down, i was keeping the gear on D position and stopped car for color light, car was on brakes and then tried to accelerate when green light appeared.

But engine stopped suddenly. I could restart and go. Idle RPM was around 1000 after that incident.

The same thing happened to me about a month back.

I have done EFI tune up four months back. All other maintenance upto date.

Any ideas?

Is it something serious?

Thanks for your help..

1. Was idle RPM 1000 throughout and is it still the same?

2. Does engine revs above 1000 at early morning start and does not goes down as engine heats up ?

if your answer is yes for above, there's a high possibility of the idle control valve or TPS playing fool

1. how did engine went off ? was it sudden cut off or slow hesitant run and then stopped?

if it was a sudden cut off, something to do with ignition else it can be either

a. insufficient fuel feed

b. miscalculation of engine management system

c. engine heated up excessively either due to lack of coolant or oil

2. how hard/easy to restart it after this sudden engine dead?

if it's an easy start, it could be due to some random play of a ignition related electricity

but if it was hesitant, yes need a detail checking of the

a. fuel feed (fuel pump, lines, filters) failing to diagnose a fault,

b. fuel control and ignition control system which means engine management system (preferably a scan)