• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Registration Book - Duplicate

ThilakR

Dear Friends,

I am going to buy a van. As per the owner who was using the same for last 4 years said, the Registration book has been sent to RMV for the transfer after completing the leaseing period and was lost. He showed me a copy of the book and the owner is a leasing company. It means what he said was correct.

He has made a complain to the police and working to obtain a new book. Some people adviced me to not to buy the vehicle cos the new book come as DUPLICATE and it will be a problem for me.

What is your idea? Is it correct that duplicate copy makes trouble for me if I buy the vehicle?

Thanks

Thilak

Edited by ThilakR

Dear Friends,

I am going to buy a van. As per the owner who was using the same for last 4 years said, the Registration book has been sent to RMV for the transfer after completing the leaseing period and was lost. He showed me a copy of the book and the owner is a leasing company. It means what he said was correct.

He has made a complain to the police and working to obtain a new book. Some people adviced me to not to buy the vehicle cos the new book come as DUPLICATE and it will be a problem for me.

What is your idea? Is it correct that duplicate copy makes trouble for me if I buy the vehicle?

Thanks

Thilak

If the owner (absolute owner) is leasing company, then RMV would not honour his (current owners) complaint made to a police station. It should come from leasing company(absolute owner).

First, sort that out and then ask for the deletion letter issued from the leasing company. Without this RMV would not honour a transfer. Best is to avoid vehicles with documentation issues, unless otherwise owner is willing to resolve all that before finalization of the deal.

Edited by harshansenadhir

If the owner (absolute owner) is leasing company, then RMV would not honour his (current owners) complaint made to a police station. It should come from leasing company(absolute owner).

First, sort that out and then ask for the deletion letter issued from the leasing company. Without this RMV would not honour a transfer. Best is to avoid vehicles with documentation issues, unless otherwise owner is willing to resolve all that before finalization of the deal.

Thanks mate. I am little confused with this issue. I got a good price for the vehicle. Therefore I do not like to drop the chance too.

Regards

Thilak

Thanks mate. I am little confused with this issue. I got a good price for the vehicle. Therefore I do not like to drop the chance too.

Regards

Thilak

If the book says duplicate you may have trouble when you sell the vehicle, but if you plan to use the vehicle for many years then maybe that trouble somewhere down the road can be worth for the price discount you are getting... just make sure you don't get into a situation where someone else can produce the original book and claim the vehicle is theirs.

If the book says duplicate you may have trouble when you sell the vehicle, but if you plan to use the vehicle for many years then maybe that trouble somewhere down the road can be worth for the price discount you are getting... just make sure you don't get into a situation where someone else can produce the original book and claim the vehicle is theirs.

it's not about printed duplicate on the book. Owner only has a copy (photo copy) of the book with leasing company details as absolute owner. ThilakR, correct me if I'm wrong. In this situation absolute owner has to make a complaint to police and request for a duplicate copy from RMV with that complaint. This should be done by the leasing company in this instance. If this is done, then it can be submitted for a transfer along with the deletion letter.

Regards

Thilak

If the vehicle is genuinely a good one and the price is 'too good' you might want to think again. If the seller is genuine, there shouldn't be a issue in him sorting out the ownership between himself/leasing company. Getting a new book shouldnt take that long, so tell the seller you'll surely buy the van IF he settles it all by a given period of time.

Edited by Dilesh

i don't understand these leasing huta-pate. as far as i am concerned following are the troubles with a duplicate book per se...

1) market perception of a duplicate book because of ignorance.

2) you cannot get a one day transfer with a duplicate book therefore transfer takes some time.

Edited by isurujosh

Hi..

Thank you somuch friends.

I got a good idea and it makes me easy to take a decision.

The decision is.............I will buy the van. :D

I checked the normal price of this kind of a van and found I am getting it at very resonable price.

Thank you somuch again.

Thilak

• 10 years later...