• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt Gear Boxes-whats Wrong With Them?

TURBOMAN

Hi Guys

What is this big ha-hoo about CVT gear boxes?.Ideally it should be the best fuel saver and performer in a good car.

Why people condemn the vehicles with CVT?

Is there a pracitcal problem?

or lack of expert mechanics to repair a CVT gear box probs?

Please guys ,i want your expert opinions

Hi Guys

What is this big ha-hoo about CVT gear boxes?.Ideally it should be the best fuel saver and performer in a good car.

wouldn't call myself and expert on this but just to share my cheap 2 cents...

Numero uno is the list is lack of knowledge/awareness about CVT boxes.

quite a few people who buy cars have no clue about how certain technologies work. to add to the problem some of these chaps take these cars to wayside garages that haven't really kept updated with time and technology.

So as always...what people don't know...they tend to shy out from or condemn.

this is why IMO that certain "safe" car options are highly sought after while other less popular ones are bashed :)

kind of a herd mentality...

CVT boxes demand proper CVT oil to be used. quite a few people have used normal ATF and screwed up their boxes...

so you really can't blame the technology there...

and AFAIK CVT boxes can't be opened up and repaired. at least not yet and not to my limited knowledge.

so all these little things ends up creating this massive issue against CVT's

Personally...i too would be worried going for a used cvt tranny car here cos you'd never know how the previous owner had looked after it.

unless of course the car was maintained at a reputed place and owned by a petrolhead :D

wouldn't call myself and expert on this but just to share my cheap 2 cents...

Numero uno is the list is lack of knowledge/awareness about CVT boxes.

quite a few people who buy cars have no clue about how certain technologies work. to add to the problem some of these chaps take these cars to wayside garages that haven't really kept updated with time and technology.

So as always...what people don't know...they tend to shy out from or condemn.

this is why IMO that certain "safe" car options are highly sought after while other less popular ones are bashed :)

kind of a herd mentality...

CVT boxes demand proper CVT oil to be used. quite a few people have used normal ATF and screwed up their boxes...

so you really can't blame the technology there...

and AFAIK CVT boxes can't be opened up and repaired. at least not yet and not to my limited knowledge.

so all these little things ends up creating this massive issue against CVT's

Personally...i too would be worried going for a used cvt tranny car here cos you'd never know how the previous owner had looked after it.

unless of course the car was maintained at a reputed place and owned by a petrolhead :D

Yes, it's partially due to maintenance and lack of expertise and also defects with some CVT boxes around. Heard some makes/models are notorious for premature CVT box failures (say at about 60,000kms) even with agent maintenance with specific oil is being used.

Thanx Ripper,

It is really pathetic situation.Such a wonderful technology is been ill treated.these Primera CVT is a notorious one for premature failures as i know.

Frnd can you just tell me what are the types of CVTs we should avoid or should take extra precautions in buying?

What are the types of CVT G boxes used in

1.Primera-Tp12

2.Honda ES

3.Honda City and other cars in srilanka.

It would be a great help for evrybody in future

Hi Guys

As mentioned in the earlier posts, quite a few issues crop up from poor maintenance (not changing the CVT oil on time and using the wrong oil etc.).

While I'm not an expert on the mechanics of a CVT box I feel the metal wheels and cogs in an auto box will be harder wearing with heavy usage and relatively poor maintenance comparative to a belt or chain driven system (when considering a 300,000km 15 year cycle of use under our conditions).

CVT does improve the fuel figures and makes the shift smoother (specially in smaller engined vehicles).

We are yet to see how the boxes perform past 200,000km even with proper oil/filter changes and how the 2nd hand prices will be for all these cars 10 years down the line.

One of the first things we do with the initial service even with an unregistered car is to change the CVT oil even when the JAAI certificate indicates 12,000km on the odo.

Note that most of the new recon-imports (including the Corolla Axios an the Allions) come with CVT boxes.

As mentioned in the earlier posts, quite a few issues crop up from poor maintenance (not changing the CVT oil on time and using the wrong oil etc.).

While I'm not an expert on the mechanics of a CVT box I feel the metal wheels and cogs in an auto box will be harder wearing with heavy usage and relatively poor maintenance comparative to a belt or chain driven system (when considering a 300,000km 15 year cycle of use under our conditions).

CVT does improve the fuel figures and makes the shift smoother (specially in smaller engined vehicles).

We are yet to see how the boxes perform past 200,000km even with proper oil/filter changes and how the 2nd hand prices will be for all these cars 10 years down the line.

Finally let me thank all who contributed.

Before wind up please let us know few places where we can get these gear boxes checked and repaired.Specially people away from Colombo are clueless regarding these places and getting in to troubles by dealing with those "makabasses"