• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civi Eg8 Gear Box Oil

chinthakahk

Wow i have the same question :D

Last time I got Caltex 80w-90 MTF oil, sometime back. So later I saw on some Honda specific sites, that Honda 92-00 SOHC gearboxes should use 10w-30 engine oil and not MTF oils, like they are designed to use engine oil. And that normal MTF oil is too heavy for these gearboxes. Is this true? Would I have to change mine??

Well its much debated question on using engine oil in D-series gear boxes. IMO engine oil for engine, transmission fluid for transmission.

If you are using an MTF fluid that not recommended by Honda you'd be better off changing it. I used genuine honda MTF fluid in my Ek before and after gearbox upgrades and never had an issue. Also you'd have a problem in finding 10w-30 engine oil in SL, besides the lubrication properties of engine oil maybe too high for the gearbox anyway.

Well its much debated question on using engine oil in D-series gear boxes. IMO engine oil for engine, transmission fluid for transmission.

If you are using an MTF fluid that not recommended by Honda you'd be better off changing it. I used genuine honda MTF fluid in my Ek before and after gearbox upgrades and never had an issue. Also you'd have a problem in finding 10w-30 engine oil in SL, besides the lubrication properties of engine oil maybe too high for the gearbox anyway.

:unsure: how do we change the MTF in EK3 and how frequent do we need to do that.

Well its process that any decent service station would do much like changing engine oil- you need to first drain it and then fill it :) Honda MTF should last around 30,000kms with normal driving. Synthetic mobil, is said to last to around 40,000kms

:unsure: how do we change the MTF in EK3 and how frequent do we need to do that.

Yeah, was planing to change. Maybe Mobil has a 10w-30. Anyways where did you get Honda MTF? And how much??

And if you won't mind sharing, upgrades? Gears or FD? Or LSD?? <_<