• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Transmission Help

weems

First of all i'm sorry for posting this newbie question.

The car i recently purchased (Corolla axio) has automatic transmission. The gears are defined as P, N , R, D-S and B.

Im confused as to what D-S and B gears mean. My old vehicle (another corolla) had D, 2 and L gears instead of D-S and B. My question is what are these two gears and what are the ideal driving conditions to use these?

Also, does the presence of B and D-S mean the car comes with CVT-i transmission?

Thanks in advance. I am having a hard time figuring things out without an English manual so any help is appreciated.

First of all i'm sorry for posting this newbie question.

The car i recently purchased (Corolla axio) has automatic transmission. The gears are defined as P, N , R, D-S and B.

Im confused as to what D-S and B gears mean. My old vehicle (another corolla) had D, 2 and L gears instead of D-S and B. My question is what are these two gears and what are the ideal driving conditions to use these?

Also, does the presence of B and D-S mean the car comes with CVT-i transmission?

Thanks in advance. I am having a hard time figuring things out without an English manual so any help is appreciated.

Don't know about D-S but B is explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

Second (2 or S)

This mode limits the transmission to the first two gear ratios, or locks the transmission in second gear on Ford, Kia, and Honda models. This can be used to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, as well as climbing or going down hills in the winter time. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of second gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage.

Although traditionally considered second gear, there are other names used. Chrysler models with a three-speed automatic since the late 1980s have called this gear 3 while using the traditional names for Drive and Low.

S or Sport

This is commonly described as 'Sport mode'. It operates in an identical manner as 'D' mode, except that the upshifts change much higher up the engine's rev range. This has the effect on maximising all the available engine output, and therefore enhances the performance of the vehicle, particularly during acceleration. This mode will also downchange much higher up the rev range compared to 'D' mode, maximising the effects of engine braking. This mode will have a detrimental effect on fuel economy. Hyundai has a Norm/Power switch next to the gearshift for this purpose on the Tiburon.

source - wikipedia

I think your D-S probably refer to the 2nd one.

Edited by aamarakoon

Drive vs. Drive Safely? Drive Slowly? Drive Sportily? :)

apart from P,N,R, B do you have D and D-S? Or D and S? or just D-S?

It has P N R B and then another slot D-S. In this slot you can change the gears horizontally between D and S.

@aamarakoon thanks a lot for the info mate.

It has P N R B and then another slot D-S. In this slot you can change the gears horizontally between D and S.

@aamarakoon thanks a lot for the info mate.

Than that would be Sports mode; the horizontal shift is so you can switch to S (e.g. if you want to do some fancy overtaking) without looking at the gearbox (if D and S were vertical changes like the others, you might accidentally put the car into the wrong mode - maybe N - if you tried to change when you were in a hurry)

I have a "S" button behind the gear lever and it's a pain to try to turn it on without looking at it... and if you are feeling the need for sports mode you are probably not in a situation to take your eyes off the road :D